Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Valeyard posted:

also how could you give a percentage answer to that question lol

I mean, it can't be something absurd like 100%. In the mind of the person who formulated that question, what does a right answer look like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Even with overtime I'm only halfway to six-figgie fucktard-hood. :(

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

qhat posted:

imo pick cash every time and put it into a Vanguard targeted retirement fund

FTFY. Do not invest in individual equities, everyone at the table knows more than you do.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Emacs Headroom posted:

nobody knows anything and the S&P 500 will outperform most funds.

An index fund is also acceptable.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Boiled Water posted:

so far all i've had are lovely recruiters

As opposed to?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I wear a (dark) suit and tie unless it's a self-consciously "hip" place (e.g. a marketing company, not dudebro bullshit) in which case I wear a (dark) suit and no tie.

:shrug:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sapozhnik posted:

"During my time in this role I was responsible for isolating and documenting intermittent failures in a native-code distributed system, as well as liaising with the production support team to deliver a satisfactory resolution to our stakeholders"

:golfclap:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

HoboMan posted:

i def mostly post at work

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I have some sort of 2.5hr "non-technical" webcam-based skills test tomorrow.

:ohdear:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Poor 'ol Schadenboner, thought of career advancement and died.

:(

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 30, 2018

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

The Management posted:

having lunch with a hiring manager in another group. first date jitters until he shows up, ugh.

How did it go?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Going to try that 2 hour on-camera skills test thing again today. Hopefully the server will be up now?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 1, 2018

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

prisoner of waffles posted:

Rex Goliath. I bookmarked one of the posts with a version of those questions.

Aren't those in the thread OP?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I'm the cold calls generated by putting *NO LONGER LOOKING* at the front of my LinkedIn profile/title/thing.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

MononcQc posted:

dude got mad and e-mailed HR with a terribly written quebecois insult e-mail before HR had even reached out to him. Here's my rough translation of it, with fewer typos than the original, but I kept some for the feeling of it:

so uh, our hard pass is validated

This is even funnier when I imagine it delivered by Jean Reno doing a bad Quebecois accent.

E: Had no idea he was Spanish and from Morocco!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Rex-Goliath posted:

i've only worked with one stanford grad in my career so far he was very sure to let everyone know how he was from stanford and was also easily in the bottom 10% in skill amongst everyone i've worked with

Except for the only skill that mattered: reminding people of being from Stanford (which is also beaconing).

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Bloody posted:

asking someone to implement a lock free queue in an interview could be interesting because it can be interesting to see how somebody flails in a high-pressure situation where they know they are going to fail

It turned out that the real Kobayashi Maru was the friends we made along the way!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Someone give me a good form for a cover letter. Mine obviously are complete poo poo, MLMP.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Kudaros posted:

Is it worth it to get certifications while I'm still technically student?

Also I had my first phone interview today and it went well. Meeting in person in two weeks. Stoked to not be a poor.

First question right off the bat was "is this job going to bore you?". Nah man, I'm actually curious about stuff.

Ops or Dev? From what I can tell (not a dev guy) there are literally no dev certs worth paying for. Ops, yeah sure, can't hurt/might help.

Most colleges/universities will also have a thing where you can buy vouchers cheaply.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
How would I go about moving into a neighboring job market (Chicago) that I have no contacts in?

Like, what's my first step?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Captain Foo posted:

make sure you can tell a little story about every line-item on your resume

Include a dick-pic the way Europeans would include a head-shot.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Pollyanna posted:

q re: networking with people. a PM i worked with at a previous company now works at one that looks cool, and i have no idea how to ask "hey, you guys got openings?" in a way that isn't crass. how do people do this?

This isn't crass, this is literally how most places prefer to hire people because (so the thought goes) good people know good people.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Pollyanna posted:

i know it's normal but i have a tendency to piss people off by accident

So just send the PM a dick pic with "Remember me?" as the subject line and "See where the night takes you" (as the kids say these days). Not a big deal?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Move to management, work there for several years gaining responsibility and trust, then gently caress them in the rear end by leaving at a critical time. If they ask why remind them of this episode.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Pollyanna posted:

honestly the grand, grand majority of startups could go out of business overnight and the world wouldnt change a bit, which makes me wonder why the startups exist in the first place

Low bond yields leading to pants-on-head retardedly large amounts of VC money getting sprayed around like piss at a Trump party?

TLDR: :capitalism:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Penisface posted:

Yes, it's true that there are different rules for foreigners here, but the way the japanese do things, communicate and solve problems is in my experience (2 years so far) still quite different and will take getting used to. Sometimes the pace of work can seem absolutely glacial for things you *know* can be achieved much faster. And being outside the etiquette rules can also be stifling (especially when you don't know all of them) because you can miss out on important information or communication suffers because you can't get a straight answer from someone who sees you as higher status and is afraid to give you uncomfortable news.

The problem with smashing Asian behavioral norms is, an hour later, you want to smash norms again.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Feb 19, 2018

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

PokeJoe posted:

i want a new job but don't want to do any interviewing or put any effort into it

Unironically same.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Boiled Water posted:

please upload your resume and also type in everything

worst one i've seen so far is the danish police's recruiting portal which is a SAP-web-thing

Pigs out of YOSPOS.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

qhat posted:

amber light

Raus.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Valeyard posted:

Company A said yes, will get a call from them tomorrow to see what their offer is

:yotj:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

qhat posted:

Good luck assuming the CSV data you receive from vendors is anything short of unfiltered dogshit

The contract says we take the CSV of system conditions from SAP and give them a report documenting system status.

It doesn't have to be of any use, I don't think they could actually tell one way or the other (did I mention: SAP?)

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Valeyard posted:

Company A is going to call me later today with their offer

I've never had to negotiate this kind of thing before so what do

They told me they would "give me the best offer they can initially so we don't need to go back and forwards on it" which sounds suspect to me, do I care about stock options if it's a privately owned company that probably won't go public due to reasons (I'm thinking the answer is no)

Tell them you want 51% of the equity and primae noctis for the daughters and sisters of the board of directors.

E: And always remember,

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Apr 16, 2018

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Poniard posted:

I'm kinda excited because the commute is good and short. I overdressed today but I bought this nice suit I'm gonna wear it dammit. At least it makes for a good photo ID.

Not without a snappy top-hat, it doesn't.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Valeyard posted:

Their base salary offer is only 10% more than I make just now, bland includes less holidays and lower pension matching (significantly less)
They offered 6000 stock options (in assuming this means options for 6000 shares) but don't know the excise price or what the current value of those shares are (it will probably be like 12k GBP max) and vest over 4 years, gently caress that

Jesus. Don't move companies for 10% more cash, especially if the bennies are worse unless you're really in a bad way.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sapozhnik posted:

under capitalism we are all owned

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Bloody posted:

how do i interview people

Sit across from them, have a conversation with them to get a feel for whether they have a basic technical competence (stuff like: how would you do X in 30,000 foot terms) then ask yourself: "Do I want to work with this person"?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

HoboMan posted:

ok so there are the interview questions in the op, but what should i ask in a phone screen? i feel like i should have at least one question for them when they ask me if i have any

HR screen or Department screen?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

HoboMan posted:

aw poo poo, i need to think of answers to those "describe a time it was hard to do your job" type questions. i hate those, because i can barely remember what i worked on last week and i never feel like i am being particularly heroic i'm just doing my job man

:same:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Gazpacho posted:

I don't know how to answer that in the abstract except: start from the general and build toward specifics.

one principle that might help you avoid bad guesses: the purpose of the object model is to write code around it. so, "operations" that will not reduce to code execution should not be part of the object model. in the common example of a parking garage system, drivers will park in spaces, but they're not going to call methods to do it, which means that that operation has no place in an software object model

This is a whole lotta words that I didn't read any of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Shaman Linavi posted:

my dream location of Juneau, AK

:stare: