Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you are so incredibly bad at these things i am astounded you remain employed

Don't quote bad workmate stymie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I took a slight pay cut in terms of COL moving to Apple with the assumption that having that on my resume will make me way more attractive for big figgy positions in a few years.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

qhat posted:

A reliable source told me the other day that my boss is inches away from quitting and really I'm the only person in the team capable of replacing them, so I may be counting the figs from one to six fairly soon.

Incoming hostile work environment lawsuit from qhats new reports

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Way to make me feel poor

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Captain Foo posted:

what is wrong with you

Seriously

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
be a girl, then you can dress formalish and if it was overdressed, it doesn't matter the nerds interviewing you don't know poo poo about women's clothing anyway.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

women still must face the suit vs non-suit dichotomy

Nah, no dude interviewing you knows what the female equivalent of a suit is so any nice dress or shirt and skirt combo will do the trick, unless you're literally interviewing at a fortune 500 where pinstripes are mandatory, in which case you already know what to wear.

But by all means, please share with me more of your experience dressing for interviews as a woman.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
If you're interviewing at a fortune 500 and don't know what to wear it's not the right job for you.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

lmao i can imagine some dick professor giving them an f and raising a complaint against the student for sharing answers

This is exactly why all of my homework is lost forever in a campus server I don't have access to anymore.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The Management posted:

lol at being afraid of professors.

University of Wisconsin doesn't change their cs homework between semesters and they are very serious about booting out students who post their work publicly. It was a real concern given it was my only way out of a century of toil as a poorly paid technical writer.

Sorry not everyone came into their college situation with financial security like you apparently did.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

cool startup feel posted:

i worked full time in college. it was garbage, and i hated school.

Same. I had 5 part time jobs at any given time and I still came out with debt that follows me to this day. It was hell.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The Management posted:

I love these little tidbits of what you think my life is like

You talk like someone who has never struggled, why are you surprised people read you that way? If you don't think of yourself that way, you might want to reflect on the sort of person your posts portray.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

DELETE CASCADE posted:

maybe use your posting time

Lol, this whole forum posts from work. It's the only forum that slows down after 5pm (according to my totally unscientific gut feeling.)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Schadenboner posted:

I have some sort of 2.5hr "non-technical" webcam-based skills test tomorrow.

:ohdear:

Rip

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

cheque_some posted:

internal transfers suck because you always end up still getting called for help from your previous group

Even in the hell hole that was my old job it was expected that I would tell my previous teams to gently caress off if they tried to pull me away from current responsibilities.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The Management posted:

I would never ask anyone to implement a lock free algorithm in an interview because I would never be able to hire anyone.

Seriously. Everyone I've interviewed so far struggled just to do a basic dfs, you'd be crazy to ask something like that unless you're hiring for something very specific and difficult.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Shaman Linavi posted:

when i interviewed at epic several years ago i brought it up and the guy said something like "yeah we sometimes do like around maybe... 60 hours a week but you know just look at this place!!"

The trick here is only the true believers work that much and the rest of us lied in our time logs.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Gazpacho posted:

and what did you see

The campus is really nice. Like, really really nice. It's one of the few things I miss from the job. That and the food.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

prisoner of waffles posted:

prototype to production is our culture, please do not shame

I wish anyone would ever give me time to prototype in my whole life but my experience so far in my career is that prototype to prod is a result of external pressures from people up or downstream

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

akadajet posted:

jizz buzz

I like to call it *~jazz~*

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Pollyanna, for reference I am 3 years older than you, also a trans woman, and I have 5 years experience that's probably a fair bit more in depth than what you've indicated you have and I'm only making 132k raw salary as a senior engineer at a major tech company. Your expectations are way out of whack for Boston if you are asking for 120k.

You should take the job so you can feed and house yourself while you look for a better job. Life is a series of steps up until you die, stop napping on the stoop.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Pollyanna posted:

im learning as i go, i dont know this stuff all out the gate, and im adjusting my understanding as i go

i have no perspective, and most definitely no clue. if im wrong im wrong and i change

man i really hope i get to a point where i can do this all myself

i really appreciate the advice tho

Totally get that. I felt completely lost during my first big job search too. It's normal to be overwhelmed, but you're always going to be in a better position while employed, because you can always just walk away if you don't like an offer. Every day you're working is a day you're learning and building your resume.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

qhat posted:

If you're stagnating on the job then it's a sign you should get a new job.

This. That was on the list of reasons I left epic.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it’s not that 100k is actually a low income in the Bay Area

it’s that the housing market is so ridden with inefficiencies they are now building subsidized housing for families with 100k incomes.

lol forever at rent control and prop 13

Doesn't the bay area literally have googlers living in rvs, box trucks, and shanty walls erected around people's bath tubs because the housing prices are so out of whack?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

that is because fresh out of college googlers are dumber than waxed dogshit, not out of necessity

(paying off your college loans early is not an emergency that justifies living in a van)

I dunno, my budget would be significantly easier without those loans. If I didn't have a family I might consider the spartan lifestyle for a couple years to make things easier after that.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

qhat posted:

When I got my degree ten years ago in the UK tuition was only £3k/year, even if you went to Oxbridge. So if you did 4 years you leave uni with a total of £28k ish in debt (also factoring in maintenance loans) with 0.9% interest. Now I hear it's roughly £70k at 6.1% interest lol. Sucks to be a centennial. But paying off that kind of loan aggressively is single handedly the best investment decision you can ever make.

Be glad you were born in a civilized country sir.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Congrats Pollyanna

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Dongslayer. posted:

what are the yosposter approved resources for studying data structures?

Eyes, school

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

qhat posted:

if you have time to post a lot while at work, you don't have enough work to do

Sounds like somebody works slow

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Symbolic Butt posted:

I just found one of the weirdest job ads

this is not a bad translation, I was super faithful to the original. it's just odd this way.

bonus:

This sounds like the recruiter overheard a planning meeting and typed his notes into the the req

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Ator posted:

I quit my game dev programming job 2 weeks ago. I was so stressed out and angry at life and project managers and the game dev industry and my own pigeonhole that it was affecting my mental health. I started angrily attacking my irl friends due to stress and frustration. It was bad.

After these two weeks of vacation, I feel a million times better and like my usual chill, game-loving, computer nerd self again.

The job itself wasn't too bad - it just had the standard tech industry management problems that literally every game company I've worked for has had (4 total). I can tolerate these issues.

I had to leave because my unusual and extreme health issues made it too difficult to physically sit at the office for ~8 hours a day. All I need are:
1) warm room without A/C blowing directly on me
2) frequent, hot food nearby (real food, not snacks. fresh. high calorie.)
3) a very low desk that doesn't cause my shoulders to cramp up while typing
4) quiet, relaxed environment that allows deep concentration

I get food-desperation multiple times a day. When it happens, I have to eat. Immediately. This is easy to manage if my boss allows me to leave the office and get food at 3 pm in the afternoon every day (I have lunch around 10:30am). But no managers like this arrangement. They let me do it because I get my work done super fast, and I get things done before the milestone is due. But they still glare and make snide comments.

Literally every boss I've worked for has given me near-perfect review scores and complimented my work quality and dedication. The only negative comment I've received was at the most recent job that didn't like how often I was away from my desk. I was away from my desk because I was driving to the nearest healthy restaurant. Apparently providing individualized comfortable work environments is simply too much to ask from tech employers. I discussed the issues with my former bosses, and those conversations went nowhere. Their responses were humiliating, frankly.

I don't know why I'm typing my shame into this public forum.

My new plan is to look for remote programming work exclusively. At home I have my ideal comfort zone, and I can manage my diet and sudden mood swings easily. First, I'll look for remote game programming work. I expect there will be slim pickings. If I don't find a good match in a couple months, then I'll look for non-game remote programming work. If that doesn't pan out then I'll look into remote contract work.

i wish you luck

if the food thing is a genuine medical diagnosis, your employer is probably violating the ADA and you should be throwing around scare words like "reasonable accommodation"

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Pollyanna posted:

my previous employment engagement is proof towards the opposite, i got let go within 1~2 months for vaguely defined "team/culture fit" reasons. attempts at digging into the reason resulted in being stonewalled everywhere

so its entirely possible to get fired that early

im glad i left honestly, the tech and product sucked. just wish it had been on my own terms instead

remind me not to try and build my career in japan

Maybe the company was just transphobic? We're not a protected class so they're sadly free to fire you for that as a culture fit thing.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Pollyanna posted:

tokyo is much more amenable to cyclists than boston is, and even the T is still about 39 minutes according to google maps

The t is cheaper. Boston has a good public transit situation if my visits were anything to judge by.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Pollyanna posted:

i dont hate trains!!!! i just dont like walking and having to think about my commute!!!!!! even though im horribly out of shape and thought driving would be easier!!!!

I'm just gonna put out there that regular exercise can really help with depression and anxiety and after a month of forcing yourself to walk you might feel differently. It seems like you're letting a few mental health things dictate your life and you're never going to crawl out of the hole that way.

If you ever want to pm me or talk, feel free. I'm going to be slightly more sympathetic than the rest of this thread is as (I think) the only other not-rich not-a-white-man :). I know all about how anxieties can make self improvement and decision making *paralyzing*.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

hobbesmaster posted:

you'll have to define "everything" there

The list starts with the Saskatoon Sandwich Splitter and gets worse from there.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Dude you're basically just harassing her now. If you don't want to engage with her posts just put her on ignore.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Notice how he edited the list down to the two that could be construed as specific personal criticisms. Notice also how he has responded to her throughout the thread, above and beyond what anyone else is doing.

Harassment doesn't have to be intentional you know. It can just be an inadvertent pattern of behavior that nevertheless targets an individual.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

qhat posted:

You could almost say he's "trolling" for responses. A "troll" so to speak.

Less funny when the person targeted has as much as admitted to anxiety and mental health challenges.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Cs programs are now riddled with people who aren't actually into the subject matter at all but heard you can get paid a lot to program. They don't engage with the courses but don't switch programs because sunk costs, and then graduate having gamed their way to a degree without absorbing any material.

Also 18-22 year olds just don't loving appreciate the education they're receiving and gently caress around on their phones during class. It really stuck out to me how disengaged they were as an adult going back to school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

toll roads are good and cool

taxing commerce is stupid if you can directly tax infrastructure usage instead -- gas, diesel, and title taxes are a start.

This sounds good in theory, when you're just thinking about trucks or whatever, but in practice this ends up being super regressive. Think about, for example, how badly the bridge taxes impact the working poor in Contra Costa way more than the well to do of SF.