Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm chasing up opportunities in London

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Boiled Water posted:

:yossame:

but in order to not go down in real salary i'd have to be paid to the tune of £70k and for some reason no one in london wants to pay that to an entry level person

ive been telling recruiters i want 80k, some of them dont sniff, others have told me its unlikely with only my 2 years of experience :negative:

honestly i would rather just get a higher paying job in glasgow, but im probably already working for the best company i can be, so it would need to be a move to somewhere else with the view of going back to current job eventually

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Emacs Headroom posted:

it's a test, clearly

the correct answer is "zero: I act rationally and decouple my investments from my employment so that I minimize exposure to a single company or industry"

that doesnt sound like a Euro amount

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
also how could you give a percentage answer to that question lol

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

qhat posted:

No loving chance you're getting £80k in London unless you're a technical lead. 2 years should expect no more than 45k imho.

you can get that in scotland with 2 yhears experience, in places that are much cheaper to live in than London,

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
i got like a 19% payrise last week, and 16% bonus, but still feel pretty underpaid

i wonder what H1B options are available these days, might be interesting to go work in the us for a year or two while ive got no hard ties here yet

always seemed like amazon was the best way to go for foreigners wanting to work in usa tech

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Captain Foo posted:

well the government is currently literally nonfunctional and won't be for the foreseeable future, so lol

eh, it would take months to sort something like a move to the us anyway, including interviewing

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Emacs Headroom posted:

amazon has a comp structure designed almost entirely to lock you in -- big bonus and of first year, no stock until your cliff at year 2

thouhg if you're thinking of h1-b you'll be locked in anyplace, so...

yeah, i would already be locked in. I have heard some horror stories on amazon but I am not sure how willing (in comparison) other places are to sponsor visas

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
hello netflix plase hire me i am very famiiar with your products thanks

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
also i found a bug on your job listing website within 5 minutes :cmon:

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
youre right, i better make sure not to mention it to them, like originally planned :thunk:

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

eschaton posted:

there are plenty of US companies that have a significant development presence in Canada, not least because it can be easier (or more desirable) for some of the people they want to hire to get a Canadian visa than a US one

my department just bought a company in Vancouver and got a Vancouver office out of it (we’re not making them move) and that could potentially become a non-California option for new hires, depending on team & role

I also assume that as a Brit (if my copy of yospos.xls is correct) you could work elsewhere in the Empire Commonwealth pretty easily

i have some family that are canadian but unfortunately too far removed to actually be useful in getting a canadian passport (already looked into that), but immigrating to canada wouldnt be out of the question at all. i love the cold and the poutine lol

but yeah, not out of the question

ughh australia, no thanks though

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Emacs Headroom posted:

even acknowledging the existence of the careeer website is probably a red flag

if you don't know someone there who can refer you (always the best method), then you're supposed to casually hit up a recruiter there on linked in

"hi, I'm making a career move and am in the middle of a job search. I've been a fan of netflix's technology culture [don't mention the product], and thought i should reach out to see what [general area like back-end or mobile or w/e] opportunities there are, and whether there might be a good fit. I'll be on the market for another couple of weeks, and am open to moving to the lower bay / SJ area if there's a match"

this is much easier for local moves, theres an abundance of london recruiters on linked in, unfrotunately i dont get the mail merge from US based ones

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm reading the 'cracking the coding interview" book just now, very slowly

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The grind goes on

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
im getting to interview someone this week, hoping to learn interview technique from the inside

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
jobs

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My technical direction is cold hard cash from the highest bidder

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
im gearing up for interviews

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
also gently caress linkedin recruiters

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

qhat posted:

When I got my degree ten years ago in the UK tuition was only £3k/year, even if you went to Oxbridge. So if you did 4 years you leave uni with a total of £28k ish in debt (also factoring in maintenance loans) with 0.9% interest. Now I hear it's roughly £70k at 6.1% interest lol. Sucks to be a centennial. But paying off that kind of loan aggressively is single handedly the best investment decision you can ever make.

interest on student loans is still like 1% in scotland, thanks to free tuition i thnink ive only got like 3k in debt left, should be done this year

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
im happy at current job, but still think im underpaid for all the stuff i do and how well i do it (compared to others around me)

i already know from experience than i am better than a lot of people ive worked with that have 3/4/5 times the experience i do

main problem is convincing other people of this in an interview scenario

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
also one recruiter telling me "you cant ask for that much, the people interviewing you probably arent making that much" lol

and the amount of "you need to move to london, anywhere else is just a dead end" lol

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
we have had people accept offers with us, their start date comes, they dont show up, no call/email/text whatever

its a pain in the rear end but whjatever. time to find someone else to fill the position

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpNAPsqsxFE

all aboard the fat stacks train

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rex-Goliath posted:

his takeaway at the end of this is actually surprisingly clairvoyant

yeah, i was thinking this sounds great, then he hits out with

"there is no retirement here. Im going to have to work until i die to pay for healthcare for me and my family"

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
i read my google prescribed news each morning on the bus

it knows what i want

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
i might be interviewing at a startup soon

what kind of stuff should i be asking thats specific to startups

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
the only reason im pursuing it is becaue they seem ughh more open to higher than normal salary for my area

id be going at them for a 40% increase over what im on just now just in base salary

their most recent round of funding (fifth) was 2 years ago and was for several hundred million

an ipo is something ill be asking them about

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
yeah, i dont really care about equity and that poo poo, i just want a big base salary and it seems like they have money to throw around

my bank dont care about equity and stock options when they are giving me a mortgage

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
i dont think ive ever applied to anywhere that asked for a cover letter

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
rip, my team is getting moved dto another org

my only reason for working here (being part of the larger tgeam here) is gone

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm doing a tech test for a company here, it's very simple, about an hour of work.

Assuming all goes well I'm planning on asking for a base salary bump to the equivalent of 40% higher than I'm on just now, although I won't be telling them a percentage. Should I ask for 50% instead? Is this too high, too low? I can't double my salary here unless I moved to London, then it would be possible. Or if I done contract work here or London

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

gonadic io posted:

This is exactly why you shouldn't give a number. If you ask for 50 and they can only do 40 they'll tell you and you'll get 40.

If you ask for 40 and they were going to give you 50 they'll just say "yeah sure 40".

If you let them offer first then you don't have the opportunity to underbid yourself

Thankfully I haven't told the company any numbers yet, but when the recruiter hit me up (random recruiter, not internal to the company) I did give him some rough figure about what I was looking for.

Hopefully this should be ok, if I actually get an offer from the company then i will let them pitch at me first

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

gonadic io posted:

Sorry this breaks down a bit through external recruiters. They will 100% lowball you to the company and even if you refuse to give them a number they'll make up a low one for you. gently caress external recruiters.

The principle is still sound though so we'll see. They'll have a number in mind before talking to the recruiter

Hoowfully it works out, I told the external recruiter a pretty high number and he said "they should have the budget for that", for comparison i have told the same number to many other rando external recruiters and they tell me to politely gently caress off

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

HoboMan posted:

sanity check

you kind of said why a web app is better than a desktop app

what they are getting at (i think) is why a single page application (your server probably only has 1 url route defined to index html, this loads your single page app, the rest of the routing is handled by your javascript app on the front end and page transitions are just ajax calls and front end changes, its not *really* changing to a new page, no additional server side rendering) is better than a traditional web app (like something awful, where every new page is being rendered and delivered by the server instead)

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
im interviewing at 2 places just now

done a tech test for 1 place, waiting to hear back from it

have a tech test to do for the other place, a hackerrank exercise

im hoping i can get with at least 1 of them, as they are the most attractive places to work here

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I went to place today and was told my salary expexations were too high

Rip, the place seems really nice as well

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
i passed the coding tests for both companies, next stage is phone interviews

god bless

i really want to get out of current job

Adbot