Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Sandals: Become the means to create A JUST SOCIETY

Fun Shoe
hey fig thread

i finished a bootcamp thing in feb (full stack webdev, a pretty comprehensive one with good reviews for what that's worth) and I'm doing the interview tango for the first time in ever, seeing as i've been a freelance film industry guy up until now. Just got rejected from what would have been an amazing job (small software company, interesting projects, local to me in Cornwall, UK) so I'm feeling kind of lovely as now everything else is either 1) in London, gently caress commuting for 4+ hours a few days a week or 2) remote, so I'm competing with every other dev in the country.

I don't think I expect words of encouragement from yospos but perhaps you could all tell me that i'm hosed, but maybe not quite as hosed as I worry?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Fun Shoe
thanks all. We moved here after the pandemic and we have a nice place and a dog now so I'm not loving moving back to London. Will keep plugging away at stuff, something'll come up.

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Fun Shoe

Armitag3 posted:

We just hired someone in February for a junior position (which I assume is what you're applying to). They were also fresh out of bootcamp. The advice I can give you is that 70% of what triggered the "yes" was their willingness to learn. For a junior position, we were looking for someone that had some drive to learn and to be molded into the industry, not after whatever they they know. The highest point of praise was how they asked and took feedback during their tech take-home review. Be inquisitive, be positive in the face of criticism, and keep emphasizing during interviews how much you're learning and are willing to learn, given the opportunity. Also, make sure that you have a github (or equivalent) of toy projects - bootcamp homework, little tools you made yourself or with colleagues, whatever, just put it there.

Remember, as a prospect junior you're getting tested based on whether or not the people that would mentor you consider you easy to work with and sharp, or a potential pain in the rear end. Keep at it, you'll get your foot in the door!

The bootcamp has really good post-graduation career support, but one of the things they strongly say is not to tell people you just did a bootcamp because you won't get past HR ('come back when you have more experience'). So i'm in the weird position of trying to pass off our graduation project (full-stack nextjs app for pet-sitters with realtime chat and a bunch of other features, that we built from scratch in two weeks) as some sort of startup thing that I'm moving on from;

which means I can't, at interview, say 'in august I knew nothing, then they made me rewrite lodash.js from scratch as an exercise before i started the course, now I know a bunch of poo poo that I picked up at screaming speed and I will continue to do that if you hire me and give me headpats'. it sucks, i'm bad at lying.

the cornwall guys genuinely wanted someone with more experience I think which is fair enough. they weren't headforwards, I hadn't heard of them yet so thanks for the rec!

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Fun Shoe
doom update: got another interview, but this one is

quote:

It will consist of some logic and simple coding questions to see how you approach problems, but you won't need to prepare anything ahead of time.

what the gently caress is this going to be, are they going to ask me the trolley problem

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Fun Shoe

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i'd guess "competition"-style coding exercises. e.g. do you feel comfortable off-hand sketching out correct code for https://open.kattis.com/problems/fizzbuzz and https://open.kattis.com/problems/cetvrta?

some places will do more contrived things, or way more difficult things, but the main job is then probably to not get too flustered with it and say some reasonably meaningful things.

that's a cool site that I hadn't seen before, thanks! And those problems are fun and I can figure out how to do them so that's cool; i'll do some more to practise.

oh wait hang on, I've just seen a blog post on their page about 'Why it's important for you (the client) to attend your Scrum meeting' and it says you should come to all the daily standups, is this not complete insanity? i thought clients were super forbidden from splashing around in meetings and getting in the way

occluded fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Fun Shoe
Company told me I had really impressive skills and experience but they won’t be moving me forward after a good second interview, then immediately put the job advert back up. I don’t get this??? you want to hire so you can expand and grow? then why not just hire???

I know I’m taking it personally and this is unskillful, I must simply become a zen seed on the wind and apply more, but… my partner pointed out there are firms that will look like they are hiring to placate employees who are having to work too hard, but will never actually take anyone on to save costs, and that idea makes my very small spectrum brain get all upset.