Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Boiled Water posted:

:yossame:

but in order to not go down in real salary i'd have to be paid to the tune of £70k and for some reason no one in london wants to pay that to an entry level person

Dunno if you're joking but entry level in London is half that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Valeyard posted:

ive been telling recruiters i want 80k, some of them dont sniff, others have told me its unlikely with only my 2 years of experience :negative:

honestly i would rather just get a higher paying job in glasgow, but im probably already working for the best company i can be, so it would need to be a move to somewhere else with the view of going back to current job eventually

No loving chance you're getting £80k in London unless you're a technical lead. 2 years should expect no more than 45k imho.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

pointsofdata posted:

You can get a lot more than that with 2 years experience if you're happy to work for the financial industry

I worked in finance (financial research software company, billion dollars but not a bank) and that was the wage for people with several years exp. I actually knew a guy earning 100k but he was VP in a quant research role at HSBC. Not sure where people are getting these six figure GBP salaries from, I suspect they've never actually worked in London.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

All I'm saying is when the IRL recruiter is telling you it's not going to happen, and the guy who worked a long time in London in finance is telling you it's not going to happen, and the only person telling you it can happen is the guy who thinks it takes over an hour to get from zone 4 to zone 1 on the tube, it should be pretty clear cut that the UK sucks overall for salaries.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

80k before or after taxes?

Before. Fyi you get taxed 40% on poo poo over like 45k or something.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

pointsofdata posted:

https://stackoverflow.com/jobs/sala...&tl%5B2%5D=java

While pay is admittedly low in London especially considering the cost of living, there are still quite a lot of well paying jobs and the salary tail is quite long.

Ya this seems about right

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

jre posted:

I'm basing the London salaries I posted on what the company I work for pays the members of my team in London, and on the market salary review for other companies in the sector I've seen.

How long ago did you rage quit the UK and go to Canada to work as a barman ?

Maybe you're right, I wonder what an A-list company, say Amazon, pays an engineer in London. Let's have a look then:

SDE I: £38-49k, average £42k
SDE II: £44k-67k, average £56k
SSDE: £52k-97, average £81k

Welp. But sure it's "easy" to get £80k+ as a freaking noob in London because. Lol.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

pointsofdata posted:

Looks like I got owned hard by my recruiter though

Please understand that, by your own data, earning £80k probably puts you solidly in the top 10% of earners for that level of experience, if not top 5%. You're outside of the norm.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Valeyard posted:

you can get that in scotland with 2 yhears experience, in places that are much cheaper to live in than London,

Maybe, but idk Scotland apart from everyone there has blood on their knuckles

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Edit, misread

qhat fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 11, 2018

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

eschaton posted:

Scotland is going to secede from the UK, remain part of the EU, and become another glorious Scandinavian style social democracy

they also make kick-rear end booze

why wouldn’t you want to go to Scotland over London?

(Scotland is where the most left voters in the UK are so when it secedes the UK will start rapidly spiraling the drain trying to be “America lite”)

I went to Canada instead where weed is basically legal

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

One company I interviewed at was really open to feedback on the interview and honestly even though I didn't get the job, I respected them a lot for it. The homework was way too thorough and I outright told them, and they honestly hadn't realised because at the end of the day it was based around their use cases which they are very familiar with and hence a bit blinded by their own experience.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

never put anything on glassdoor

it can only hurt you

Lol gently caress that. If they really are a bunch of cunts and you care a lot then wait a month and upload. As if they'll ever know as long as you're not ultra specific.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

maskenfreiheit posted:

sadly the stuff that's annoying tends to BE ultra specific

Not always. If they're being very unprofessional with you then chances are someone else will have the same complaint. Post at your own risk!

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

You're some pretty bitter and delusional nerds if you think this is how normal people's brains work. Lol.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Oh no the geeky software developer said a bad thing about the company, let me just remember their name for the rest of my life so I can gently caress over their careers.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

The whole point of glassdoor is to identify the good companies from the cowboys, and it's really useful in that regard. It's useless if nobody ever posts negative critique because they are scared some HR type is going to go all Sherlock on their post. If you don't want to post then don't, who cares. It's nice to let the general public know who are the cunts and who aren't though.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

only clueless losers post on Glassdoor

this is not usually a helpful perspective on a company

Lol. Okay.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Schadenboner posted:

Even with overtime I'm only halfway to six-figgie fucktard-hood. :(

A reliable source told me the other day that my boss is inches away from quitting and really I'm the only person in the team capable of replacing them, so I may be counting the figs from one to six fairly soon.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

cis autodrag posted:

Incoming hostile work environment lawsuit from qhats new reports

I don't envisage you as a red faced rager IRL because I read a post of yours on the internet, so a little reciprocity would be nice.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Emacs Headroom posted:

$400k salary and that's it.

Hard cash salary owns a lot IMO.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

imo pick cash every time and put it into a security you actually do want

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Schadenboner posted:

FTFY. Do not invest in individual equities, everyone at the table knows more than you do.

Cheers.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Questions like that are a massive red flag since it indicates the company uses JavaScript.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Like if you're forced to use JavaScript because some oval office went loving retard with the company's infrastructure several years back then that's forgivable, but to be intimately familiar with the inner workings of that language? Avoid like the plague imo.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

will be funny when everyone realises DL isn't all it's cut out to be and those salaries drop through the floor

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

meatpotato posted:

im unemployed

gonna look for a job in june, hope to find one by august

i think i should use some of the time to learn new skills. assembly language seems promising. what else is cool? hdl? i don’t want to touch web or business database stuff ever in my life if I can help it.

I’ll keep you updated on my unemployment status. getting goodbye happy hour tacos and margaritas with the firmware team in 13 hours.

having a totally unknown future career is the happiest and most exciting I’ve felt in the last two years btw. I hope I can maintain self discipline and keep slacking off under control.

Good luck. Not having a job owns for a while but it begins to sucks eventually. Expect your job hunt to take longer than you think too, although it's refreshing to put your resume out there and gauge exactly what employers actually think of you when all your chips are down.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Knowing basic poo poo about computers IMO is beneficial to a career in computers

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

lancemantis posted:

I've only really ever been to chicago once and it didn't seem terrible

Go further out.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

PleasureKevin posted:

They also asked if I was hispanic and smoked. Not smoking is a condition of employment. For this remote job.

Yes they are probably wide open to a class action lawsuit. Go nuts.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

The major thing that frustrates me about h1b is that you've only got a 30% shot at actually getting the visa, even if you get a great job offer. 70% of the visas go to like two or three Indian outsourcing companies because it seems like they have the money and people to files hundreds of thousands of applications a year.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Being an autist about their careers website is a red flag IMO. Lol.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

eschaton posted:

there are plenty of US companies that have a significant development presence in Canada, not least because it can be easier (or more desirable) for some of the people they want to hire to get a Canadian visa than a US one

my department just bought a company in Vancouver and got a Vancouver office out of it (we’re not making them move) and that could potentially become a non-California option for new hires, depending on team & role

I also assume that as a Brit (if my copy of yospos.xls is correct) you could work elsewhere in the Empire Commonwealth pretty easily

The real reason companies hire in Vancouver is because salary is vastly cheaper and yeah getting a visa is infinitely easier.

Getting a working holiday is easy for a Brit, but the conditions are different depending on the country. Like in Canada you can work wherever for however long up to 2 years (as long as you don't work in the sex industry), but for Australia I hear you can't be at one job for too long and you're supposed to move around. Getting Permanent residence in Canada is commonwealth independent and being a Brit won't help him.

qhat fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 21, 2018

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

*aims shotgun at indeed.com*

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

you know linkedin, for being the primary source of six figure related communications in the entire tech industry, it sure does have a bunch of incompetent peasants coding their website and apps

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

didn't someone say that not responding to a recruiter on linkedin is bad for the recruiter is because any response, even a "sorry no thanks", counts the message as a relevant communication? because i think i've been unconsciously owning recruiters for the past 5 years.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Out of curiosity because someone mentioned it earlier, I looked at what a machine learning PhD gets funded at UBC Vancouver. The answer is 24k Canadian dollars a year. Lol. I knew PhD was basically slave labour, but dang that's feudal. I have a better idea though, send out h1b applications to the bay area every year for 5 years and eventually get a job that pays hundreds of thousands.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

PleasureKevin posted:

do you get to live in a cheap rear end dorm at least

No, the UBC campus is 870 ish a month I've heard. The stipend is literally just enough to keep you living, presuming you never drink, never eat out, never go anywhere but work and home, and eat cheap rear end vegetables every meal.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

PleasureKevin posted:

that is completely hosed up, but i guess i shouldn't be surprised. a million people in Canada make even less than that working full time. maybe you can also take out a student? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fyi it's literally the minimum wage. Speaking of which, when was the last time anyone ever heard of a revolutionary technology coming out of Canada? Lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Tbh a lot of permanent residence is similar. In Canada you become ineligible for citizenship for another 3 years if you leave for >6 months and you can lose PR entirely if you leave for more than 3 years. Not as bad as the USA, but citizenship isn't something countries give out lightly.

qhat fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 23, 2018