Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Emacs Headroom posted:

Which is better:

1. Small consistent set of more in-depth interviews with standard rubrics, or
2. Large number of more conversational interviews with people you might work with?

I prefer the first, but I've noticed the second is picking up steam, especially for research-y groups (I think this is how MSR would interview; they probably got it from Bell Labs or something)

i'd pick 2 every single time, because i can carry on a conversation, and i hate being marked down for missing a rubic buzzword by a person who hasn't demonstrated that they understand what the buzzword means. then again, i'm a white male, and the rubric-based interview methods are designed by/for big companies to avoid the gut feeling decisions on "culture fit" that happen in case 2 and are likely to work in my favor

however, if you're a phd applying for a research job, there should be no rubric-based interviews anywhere. they should look at your publication record, then discuss how your research might fit in to their goals. it's just not possible to develop a standard rubric when hiring at this level. if you're just taking your phd to google for a software engineer level 3 job, expect rubrics, but not for a researcher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
my former rule of thumb for uk salaries would be to divide your usa salary by 2, since the pound is like $2. but given how hard and deep the uk has hosed itself forever with brexit, i'd demand at least 100k gbp, and nobody's paying that, so gently caress the uk

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i remember reading one of those lists of web design "dark patterns" and realizing that linkedin does every single one

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

maybe use your posting time

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

well education is one of two acceptable things to borrow money for, and the fact that you're paying the loans off puts you way ahead of many graduates

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

tbh i would say take the job, but then also don't start off immediately disgruntled and spend all your time on prep for other interviews so you can chase a higher salary. you need to dedicate most of your resources to onboarding at your new job, otherwise they will notice how disengaged you are, and you'll be out of there in 3 weeks as a "mistake hire who just wasn't a good fit and didn't work out". now you're right back where you started but with a perfectly good offer burned. give the job a chance, who knows, you might like it

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

DELETE CASCADE posted:

tbh i would say take the job, but then also don't start off immediately disgruntled and spend all your time on prep for other interviews so you can chase a higher salary. you need to dedicate most of your resources to onboarding at your new job, otherwise they will notice how disengaged you are, and you'll be out of there in 3 weeks as a "mistake hire who just wasn't a good fit and didn't work out". now you're right back where you started but with a perfectly good offer burned. give the job a chance, who knows, you might like it

because of aforementioned repetition i should make this clear: i am NOT saying there is anything wrong with accepting another offer should one come your way. the company you leave is not gonna gently caress your life over for doing this. they might consider it a bit rude but them's the breaks. i AM saying that if you spend most of your energy at your new job on looking for another one because you already pre-decided that you hate the job you just started... that is very very obvious, so don't think you're fooling anyone

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

ok that all sounds reasonably sensible to me. my only further comment would be: hadoop is a distributed filesystem with a restrictive programming model, and redis is a cache. getting experience with those is definitely good for you and your resume. but most of the interesting work to be done on data intake is done with half-assed ad hoc shell scripts, because problem #1 is always that the data is unclean or even unstructured

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

a task so fundamentally ill-defined does not admit an elegant solution. you can add all sorts of structure and process but you'll never get something that feels well engineered

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

ya sure i'm just saying. a lot of people see a nice clean database schema and go oOoOoOo preeeeetty, but if you're interested in data intake, just know that it doesn't start that way

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

whatever you call your voluble shitposting, don't do it at work

c'mon man i know pollyanna is a bit much to handle but certain threads here are basically chat rooms so :justpost:

but yeah keep that poo poo to yourself at work. take don corleone's advice... never tell anyone outside the family what you're really thinking

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Sapozhnik posted:

work as hard as your paid to work imo

but with each increase in title/pay, the amount of actual hard work i must do has decreased ??? :confused:

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i guess it helps that i don't really consider telling people my opinions to be work

but ya i hear you. my pay is not bad for my current title but could always be better. not sure i want to change jobs right now though. i'm not really trying to minmax my salary, i'm going more for money-to-effort ratio

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

you can come work for me, i don't give a poo poo if you go get an afternoon snack, like everyone on my team does that it is perfectly normal. i don't do game dev tho sorry

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i honestly don't even care whether you come to work as long as the poo poo we agreed you will get done gets done. well i guess you should attend any mandatory meetings on your calendar

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Gazpacho posted:

i've been "taking whatever comes my way" for 10 years now, it's getting tiresome

hmm, maybe you should have developed some saleable skills instead of wasting your time janitoring unnecessarily dumb c++

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Gazpacho posted:

wow and here i was just thinking, "what is DELETE CASCADE's opinion on my life trajectory?"

the first step on the road to recovery is always the hardest one, good luck goon

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Sapozhnik posted:

well, if you have a seemingly-simple query that's taking forever to run then you're gonna end up looking at a query plan to figure out (a) what the root cause is and (b) what to do about the root cause

and you're going to need to understand how those types of join work in order to do something about it

lol if you think you're ever going to have a DBA who will actually help you with this sort of thing as opposed to impeding poo poo

i am the closest thing my company has to a dba and i will help with this poo poo and i love doing it. send me your inefficient queries all day, i will dig through the explain output until i figure out how to rewrite them to be fast and give you a long explanatory email so you can do better next time! you won't, but it's still enjoyable for me

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

there's a strange tendency for application programmers to view sql as somehow beneath them, which is especially funny when their application is primarily an interface to a sql database

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Sapozhnik posted:

i mean you probably shouldn't be posting interview questions verbatim either tbh

Why the gently caress not? He didn’t sign an NDA for the drat interview. Glassdoor is full of people doing the same thing, and good for them

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i could go interview for other jobs and with the title i have now i could probably be making a lot more money but idgaf you know? like how much money do i really need? is it going to be enough to buy a house in the bay area? would i buy even if i had that much? no and no? ok

like i'm basically trying to optimize for money/effort ratio, and i just don't feel like spending 6mo-1yr proving myself again

i guess at some point i'll get so bored at this company that i require new stimulation, but right now i'm getting that from other areas of my life, and it's nice to have a low-effort job that, upon honest reflection, still pays way more than it loving should, despite how much i might want

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i would just laugh at the "proctor" until they hung up the phone

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

thats a lot of words and im definitely gonna read them tomorrow but right now i just see a bunch of alternating amber and black lines op

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

raminasi posted:

unless the company's footing the bill, lunches still require people to put money in to get social capital out, which unfortunately disproportionately affects the people who could use it the most, i.e. interns and juniors. this isn't a dismissal, i just think about how to square this particular circle a lot and i haven't come up with any answers.

Uh I deal with this one all the time and the answer is actually really simple. If you go out to lunch with a coworker who is much more junior and clearly makes less money, then you insist on paying the bill. If you think this will make the other party feel bad, just tell them you want the credit card points and you’ll be expensing it as a mentoring activity, even if you can’t actually expense it. In that case just eat the cost, you can afford it

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

If it’s a group lunch that can’t be reimbursed then the seniors/leads/managers rotate the duty of picking up the tab. You’re not gonna split across tons of credit cards are you? This person then messages everyone with the amount they owe so they can settle up via Venmo or whatever. Whoops, looks like they conveniently forgot to message the intern

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Ploft-shell crab posted:

you’d prefer companies you work for not give any thought to how software is created?

basically yes, just let me do whatever i want, and believe whatever i tell you about how/when the thing you want will be done

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

working at a startup means hanging out with guys like delete cascade

edit: this is especially applicable to windows shops

i don't work at a startup or a windows shop and also i am a team lead :getin:

i mean my post was kinda joking but also kinda not

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

it was a non-profit? i would have guessed startup from that description

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

also: don't you have a phd? go work for google or facebook or something, make $$$

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

What kind of software do you want to touch, maybe I can get you a Bay Area job...

Oh, C#, sorry, we don’t do windows :rolleyes:

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Beast of Bourbon posted:

he's working at the uber, but for planes company.

~our pilot-partners~

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

vape some thc during the interview to establish dominance

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Diversity is extremely important! We have employees from Stanford CS 2018, 2017, 2016, AND 2015! Hell, there’s even James from Caltech down in IT!!!

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

yeah ok, except if that was true, all of us itt would pass every interview we ever take with flying colors, because we're decent at our jobs right? yet i bet you have all bombed an interview, and that day you were, or at least appeared to be, one of the "idiots who have no idea what they're doing with resumes that you would plausibly want to hire". on the other hand, many common interview questions can be studied for and faked. so exactly what signal do we suppose we're getting here, and how do we separate it from the noise?

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Pollyanna posted:

that’s always a bullshit reason tied to either KPIs or being unable to make pay

counterpoint: some people are bad at their jobs, and you might even be one of them

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

pair programming is a good thing to do for like 2 hours once a month

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

im more of a \copy table from data.csv with (format csv) kind of guy

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

raleigh is not really a place in itself, it's this whole big fuckin spread of towns you have never heard of in the "research triangle"

it's like the bay area but even more diffuse, because geography doesn't even concentrate the people in valleys/basins.

just rolling hills for miles and miles and miles with universities and tech campuses and awful suburban tract housing in every second valley

but can a computer toucher afford to live in these houses, that's the important question

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i make like 160k in the middle of the silly con valley, not at a big tech corp, but i do very little work. i've basically optimized for money/effort ratio. i worry that if i moved to a bigco like google chasing after double my salary, i'd encounter too much other bullshit like politics and having to actually work, and not just get away with appearing like the smartest person in the room so nobody fucks with me. so i just stay here. but part of me suspects that all the people at facebook/google/etc making 300k+ accomplish just as little as i do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Gazpacho posted:

just to be clear you're not going to double a $160k salary as a bay area computer toucher at a tech giant, they pay market rates and immigrants will eat your lunch

well i might not double the salary but maybe i could get something more like what Pie Colony just posted, where after a few years of vesting i would have effectively doubled (or more) my yearly income

at a non-bigtech-co you don't get 500k of rsus because they can't just print more special google money to hand to you