Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Its a Rolex posted:

Is there any red flag outright to very flat org structures? I'm interviewing at an R&D joint that sounds incredibly flat, where "You may be asked to work on something very different or outside your area of expertise because we all wear many hats, but saying 'no' is always allowed," and "work is determined by proposals from all members of the team"

AFAICT they sound like they believe very strongly in some sort of "converging to local optima per person leads to a global optimum of output" organization, which sounds like it would work well until you get someone who doesn't pull their weight on the team (for any number of reasons)

Also there's always work that nobody wants to do, but it still has to get done, so I don't believe "saying no is always allowed" is true in any meaningful sense when asked to do work

I think you touched on some good points already. I would try to determine how they make decisions internally. For example, which decisions can you make as an individual? As a subset of the group? Are there any that a consensus or vote of the entire group? Is there someone that is seen as an implicit BDFL / decision maker / person who blesses things? How long does it take to reach a conclusion on different decisions? How do you surface criticisms in the group? How do you resolve conflicts?

Non-hierarchical orgs can be good places to work but they do require a lot more self-governance from its constituents, and can suffer from more severe failure states if those constituents are uninterested in investing in the org's health or don't have the time to participate in that governance

If you join a "flat org" and don't have a clear idea of how you can influence the kind of work the org takes on (or the kind of work the org should flat out refuse to do, separate from "scut work that needs to get done to keep the org from collapsing") then it's not really a flat org so much as an inadequately managed one

corona familiar fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

raminasi posted:

A "flat" organization has no hierarchy the same way that schoolchildren have no hierarchy. It's still there, it's just non-obvious and unofficial.

agreed. i think a good distinction to make is: is there a trustworthy process for making decisions as a member of the group, or is there a shadow power structure at play

fwiw the former is pretty rare in most orgs

corona familiar fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 11, 2024

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

bob dobbs is dead posted:

yeah, but they're 40-hours-per-week sociopaths

can't expect non-sociopaths in modern business, startup or no

well, you can, but they probably won't last long

:smith:

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

on a different topic, how common is international work for full remote positions these days? some positions explicitly mention that they're hiring from anywhere, or a given set of countries, but i'm gonna assume that if there's no mention of it, there's no choice but to be in the us (or wherever)? it's kind of pissing me off that nvidia has a bunch of what they say are full remote positions that are pretty much exactly in my wheelhouse, but they're all in the us whereas i'm in canada where they have jack poo poo. oh ATI, how i miss thee... wait gently caress does amd still do stuff in this frozen hellhole? i didn't even think of checking. gonna do that later

I've seen a decent number of US companies hire for remote roles internationally as long as you can commit to an overlap in work hours with US timezones. I think international labor is certainly easier for a company like NVIDIA to navigate than a small startup or something, but PEOs with international reach like Rippling etc are making that less of an issue these days

anyone have recommended resources for cover letters these days? starting to look around myself and the recommendations I've found for tech interview / resume resources (like techinterviewhandbook.org) have been pretty bad for cover letters

corona familiar fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 4, 2024

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

might be worth asking if there are any plans for or history of secondary liquidity. some startups are realizing the whole "monopoly money" aspect is a turnoff for people and are trying to mitigate it with tender offers or other ways to get (relatively small) money out of the company before they exit officially

some of these liquidity methods also let you exercise with the sale, so you exercise and then sell as part of the same transaction. you get taxed more since it's short-term capital gains but that's much less risky than having to front a potentially prohibitive amount of money to exercise up front

in terms of startup grants; the ratios for employees are really hosed in general compared to founder shares since many VC-backed companies tend to allocate from a much smaller employee pool of 10-20% of common shares outstanding. assuming you aren't an executive, you might expect up to 2% as employee 1-10, 0.05-0.5% as employee 10-100, and grants enumerated in dollars beyond that since presumably they're large enough to have a reasonable history of 409a valuations. companies tend to refresh the employee pool when they raise money so you might get grant refreshers or secondary liquidity offerings to sweeten the deal if the company is able to get more investment

corona familiar fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 18, 2024

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

raminasi posted:

making a url shortener is a foundational programming skill so it's totally understandable to make you prove you can do it in 45 minutes. a company can't survive unless all of its devs can do that.

gotta get it debugged and tested before the 40 minute free zoom meeting limit runs out

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

CPColin posted:

I don't have a camera hooked up to my desktop computer, so gently caress em

this and "sorry, Linux issues" are my go-tos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Captain Foo posted:

this is clown poo poo

i’ll stop using the linux issues one once i can screen share reliably on wayland :waycool: