Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

data scientist usually means analyst

advertised salary is a good way to tell which it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Emacs Headroom posted:

I didn't talk to Netflix but my understanding is that they're aggressive also with offers, but comp entirely with base, so like a $400k salary and that's it.

I heard from someone who'd started there in 2016 that they let you dial in how much base vs equity you want

But that said their P/E ratio is over 200 at the moment so I wouldn't personally pick equity lol

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

depends on the season

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Valeyard posted:

i wonder what H1B options are available these days, might be interesting to go work in the us for a year or two while ive got no hard ties here yet

always seemed like amazon was the best way to go for foreigners wanting to work in usa tech

your best option would be to work for a US company in a dublin or london office, and be working there while waiting for the visa poo poo to go through.

h1b can easily take years, its a fixed quota lottery and it's being actively gamed by outsourcers as mentioned above. my now-husband had to leave the country for six months and work at his company's office in london while his h1b was being processed, and he had a master's from a US university so he was in a higher h1b selection tier. otherwise it would have easily been several years. it's worse now.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Gazpacho posted:

"I hear you're looking to sell a house"
"That's right"
"So could you tell me what you paid for it?"

i see the advertised rent is xfiggies/mo but what i really want to know is how much was it before?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

ADINSX posted:

Not a great analogy since that information is public

also in the analogy there'd have been some improvements to the "house" since it was bought

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Peeny Cheez posted:

Because 99 times out of 100 the test has absolutely nothing to do with the requirements of the job, already has an established solution, or is just loving dumb.

Example of the last: given a list of phone numbers and call durations, sum them up and bill at 3 cents a second under five minutes and at 2.5 cents a second, rounded up to the next minute for calls over five minutes. The number with the longest duration is not billed. Should multiple numbers have the same duration, then the lowest number is not billed.

to be honest this question is much closer to a real day-to-day task one might encounter than e.g. 'reverse this linked list'

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

tbf reversing a singly-linked list in place is a useful part of a lock-free queue

please dont diy lock-free data structures

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

keep your old offer letters. i needed to get employment verification letters from all the places id worked for the last 10 years for a visa application, and thank god all the companies in question were still in existence, otherwise it'd have been a lot harder to show that

doesnt hurt to keep your old employee reviews around either, assuming you can get them in some written form. ive found a good strat is to grab a couple quotes from those and put em on my resume

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

that is true, though i feel the need to work with software engineers over just an "it department" - i'm not entirely sure why, i think it has to do with growth. maybe im misunderstanding/wrong

Sapozhnik posted:

being reminded every day that you are a cost center and being paid accordingly

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

jony neuemonic posted:

this worries me, but the culture in TECH COMPANIES is a toxic hellswamp so pick your poison i guess.

lol jesus not every tech company is uber

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

to be clear, you dont have to be working at a Tech Company to avoid being in a cost center

... it could be a logging company where you're optimizing the algorithm that decides the cuts to make when the logs are cut up

... or an airline where you're working on the billing infrastructure or the onboard entertainment UI

just be working in an area that contributes to the product they're selling

i'd still rather work at a Tech Company when given the option tho

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

between the two i'd pick the bank tbh. a startup that's been around a decade isn't going to have any equity upside and thats the theoretical point of doing a startup. however i don't know what specifically working for a japanese bank or startup would be like, so i may be full of poo poo here

regardless here are my thoughts on the bank downsides you mentioned:
- if it's a bit undermarket then it sounds like it'd make sense to counter?
- it doesnt sound like lacking a background in finance would be a problem, i mean they gave you the offer after all
- as a programmer you likely wouldn't be interacting with the finance types (i'm assuming this means "traders")
- assuming it isnt a shitshow you could indeed get to learn a lot about the process of managing stable software

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Penisface posted:

Half of the time I have been thinking if the lowball offer is just some ruse to filter out people who are after a big paycheck

actually that's a ruse to filter out people who are good at their job

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Pendragon posted:

I work for an ~50 employee company that's basically a leader in it's niche field. said company incubated a startup that had some cool tech. I worked with said startup for two years doing all kinds of nifty poo poo and loving it.

recently my time working with the startup came to an end. I decided to gamble:

me: how would you like it if I joined your company?
startup CEO: gently caress yeah let's talk!
my company: ACTIVATE NO POACHING CONTRACT CLAUSE
startup CEO: sorry man :(

on the plus side my company is basically begging me to stay and go into management. on the other hand I feel like I'm missing out.

how pissed should I be, or is this a grass is greener thing?

if you asked them first it isnt poaching

if the problem is a noncompete then lol get out of your lovely state and move to CA

i am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Pendragon posted:

bad wording on my part then. basically it's a clause saying that the startup can't hire any of my company's employees.

oh yeah that sounds more like a noncompete

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

actually wait what am i saying that's exactly the situation with our current real estate hoarding and market cornering bubble so surprise surprise new construction is loving dogshit and everything to do with the regulatory and oversight process is deeply, nakedly corrupt

:capitalism:

fyi construction has always been bad, worse than now even. but you don't see most of that because it's long gone, and all that's left is the tiny fraction that was done well or that was fixed later on at great expense

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Rex-Goliath posted:

it's from a while ago- sometime mid-last year.

basically the guy had absolutely no idea what he was doing and compensated for it by being a colossal dick to everyone. any time he'd say something stupid and someone politely disagreed with him he'd turn it around to trying to make it seem like the person disagreeing was supremely incompetent for even making the suggestion.

on top of that he was the type of dude who saw trump's 'power' handshake and thought that it seemed like a great idea. one day i walked into my office to find him sitting at my desk with all my stuff all over the ground. i asked him wtf and he said he was told it was cool for him to use my desk. i told him I had to use my desk so he got up and walked away leaving my office a mess.

later that day he came back in and tried to take my keyboard as i was using it claiming that it was his

yeah they fired him

was that finally the thing that got him fired? or something else?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Penisface posted:

That would require a Linkedin account which I consider a sort of scrub thing to be honest.

incorrect

add all the former coworkers that you liked, they will have good leads and you may even have good leads for them

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

that said, using linkedin like its a blog is indeed scrub tier

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i have 40 minutes low-traffic driving followed by 30 minutes on a train followed by 10 minutes biking

however i only do this twice or occasionally three times a week

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Blinkz0rz posted:

pollyanna is the exact sort of person boomers point at when they're derisive of millennials

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

if you hate taking trains so much then move to the sticks so that someone else who actually uses them occasionally can live there

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

FMguru posted:

there is only one thing you need to know about the android team

it is this:

lol

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

cis autodrag posted:

Dude you're basically just harassing her now. If you don't want to engage with her posts just put her on ignore.

?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

if you're coming in straight out of college and you refrain from breaking everything in you're first week then your already ahead of the curve so don't worry about it too much

if you know what langs/tools they're using it can't hurt to read up on them and try them out a bit on your computer (assuming you have one)

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

PCjr sidecar posted:

fairly sure international migration is involves more paperwork than a 1040

you say that but

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

that product sounds like a ripoff and a racket

alternately: it is a reasonable strategy to build a product/feature after you have identified a customer who is willing to pay for its development

however this doesn't excuse the sales team apparently running the company

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

marketing genius: selling a product which does not exist, solely to determine if there is a market for it

if people actually respond to the press release then we have a hit!

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

qhat posted:

What should happen is, sales team identify X dollars in sales if we can do a thing, they then go to a product manager who can give some estimates after speaking to the actual devs. Instead of "company has money in May, they will only buy with X feature, let's lock that feature in and then blame development if the deadline is unrealistic".

The problem in this company is the product manager neither understands software development nor consults the developers who will actually be making the thing.

:agreed:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Gazpacho posted:

More like diaper growth

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Analytic Engine posted:

What are the advantages to selling yourself as a Generalist Programmer? Most of my success in getting hired and changing jobs seems to be because I wanted to (and did) specialize years ago. Honestly asking this question since most of my friends & colleagues are Generalists

a generalist is a programmer who cant point to any vaguely similar/relevant experience in their employment history when applying for the job

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you don't want to get into a c# shop. c#, the technology, is pretty awesome. c#, the community, is a shitshow.

the problem is that c# is inextricably tied to microsoft windows. every c# shop is a windows shop. every windows shop is owned by someone stupid enough to bet his business on microsoft loving windows

can you imagine how loving idiotic your bosses are if they bet their loving livelihood on windows? titanically stupid. monumentally stupid. so stupid, it beggars belief

and, following from that:
  • A players hire B players.

• B players hire Cs.

• What do the C players hire?

Windows guys.

don't be a windows guy. it's not worth it. no matter how cool the latest shiny C# thing is, it is never worth working with windows guys

everything in this post is 100% accurate

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

jony neuemonic posted:

my only real complaint about what i've seen of java's ecosystem is that a lot of things feel very uh, "enterprise" for lack of a better word. the path from "add to pom.xml" to "do something useful" isn't always super clear.

use tools from this decade and java is Fine bordering on Good, which is pretty amazing given its ubiquity in the stuff i work on (mainly distributed systems and databases)

i've been programming java the last couple years and ive never touched an xml*. that said im on a pretty small team that picks its own tools, so maybe there's some shithole out there still using ant or something lmao. tbh i've had way more problems dealing with e.g. golang's and python's bad decisions than anything java related on this project, despite the latter making up the vast majority of the codebase involved (golang is just used for some standalone CLI tools, and python for integration testing and misc build/dist tooling)

* i've technically touched an xml for log4j configuration, but that was one and done

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 25, 2018

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Fiedler posted:

The c# authoring experience is better in Windows, but c# runs everywhere.

brb debugging why mono doesn't do the same thing as the sole supported c# platform

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

what is the best way to guarantee you have a career for the rest of your life outside of embedding yourself into a company like a tick

pick up a trade like plumber or electrician

but those are still subject to boom/bust cycles

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

brb checking a big ol table to see if this standard library function is in my standard library

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Fiedler posted:

Sounds awful. You should stop using Java.

go back to picking your favorite ms office widget set

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Pendragon posted:

serious post thanks everyone for discussion on the generalist stuff. I've worked only in small companies and know a decent amount about a crapton of stuff as a result and thought about marketing myself as a jack of all trades. probably will hold off on that for now and just customize the crap out of my resume for every application.

on the other hand I like being a generalist and doing everything but it's impossible to find jobs that require that skillset and choosing what "specialty" to apply for is hard.

places don't generally know that they need a generalist so they won't be hiring for one. in practice you'd sign up against a specialty (and get the $$$) and then branch out as you interact with other teams within the company

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

docker is fine for prototyping

dont use it past that point