Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe

VileLL posted:

quick sanity check:

my company's currently trying to recruit someone with a masters/ preferably phd in computer science + prior experience developing software to create/ incorporate machine learning features in a project/ write and publish research around this.

£25,000 annually is an absurdly lowball figure for this, right?
My starting salary ten years ago post-PhD was higher than that, they have zero chance of getting any non-idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

Fun Shoe
Here (Manchester) it tends to be £40k - £90k for most roles, senior roles being around £70k. For things dahn Sarf I've had salaries up to £130k quoted to me.

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

Fun Shoe
Personally I would be wary about working for a bank because of the high amount of bureaucratic nonsense (source: currently working for $LARGE_BANK in London and it often feels like I'm in a Kafka novel). At least the money's good and I can work remotely. As a quant you may be shielded from the worst if it, though.

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

Fun Shoe
sup dude

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

Fun Shoe

occluded posted:

hey fig thread

i finished a bootcamp thing in feb (full stack webdev, a pretty comprehensive one with good reviews for what that's worth) and I'm doing the interview tango for the first time in ever, seeing as i've been a freelance film industry guy up until now. Just got rejected from what would have been an amazing job (small software company, interesting projects, local to me in Cornwall, UK) so I'm feeling kind of lovely as now everything else is either 1) in London, gently caress commuting for 4+ hours a few days a week or 2) remote, so I'm competing with every other dev in the country.

I don't think I expect words of encouragement from yospos but perhaps you could all tell me that i'm hosed, but maybe not quite as hosed as I worry?
It's not going to be super easy for you, I don't think Cornwall is precisely a tech hub. Have you considered moving somewhere else that isn't London? I live in Manchester and the job market isn't bad.