Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
new year new computer touching

two of my current job's clients have fled with the new year so it's really really time to go look at being a stemlord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

for real. if i made even 50k i wouldn't know what to do with it all.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

i like how these threads turned from support group for job seekers to cranky bastards making GBS threads on anyone daring to seek employment in the noble profession of computer touching.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

qhat posted:

My figgies don't earn themselves unfortunately

They do for those exploiting your labor.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

okay friends, life circumstances have taken a turn for the poo poo for me and i need to go find different employment. i still have my current job, but this place is wobbling like a penguin and i should get out now while i still can. i have a couple months before the wheels pop off the cart, so it isn't as if I'll be on the street if i don't find a job tomorrow, but there is pressure.

my problem is that i have no loving idea how to go about this or where i would fit in. i can code python some, i feel like i could pass your average coding interview based on my experiences & practice with sample quizzes, but i have no degree and any professional experience is stuff that I've just blarneyed together.

halp.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

40 minutes on the T is trivial. put your headphones in and read a book, jfc.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

5 + 3 + 6 + 7 + 11 = 32 + some ancilliary time = 39

oh no my entire transportation budget for a month is 84.50 on the most extensive mass transit in the US that isn't in NYC, I get healthful walking for free, and they are going to pay me 90k? who do I have to stab to get that situation that you are complaining about?

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

hi i got a job offer from my first actual interview and i start in a month.

they gave me more money than i asked for which means i probably underestimated.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

ADINSX posted:

Probably; but at least they gave you a bit more. If I suspect I'm underpaid, I've had success in the past by talking to my manager and saying 'I know I screwed up negotiating when hired and would like a raise to compensate'. Obviously depends on the company policy/culture/how much they need you, etc.

Congrats anyway, if nothing else you'll know better next time.

I feel like i'm in the correct ballpark at least from my palz that work there.

Joke's on them they could have offered half as much and I would have said yes yes yes.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

meatpotato posted:

I’m about to mess one up in five minutes

i did really well on mine, and we had a great time although it was nerve wracking having three people staring me down.
i was able to spin the questions that they were asking into things that were relevant to their business and that got a lot of happy noises.

i wouldn't have done really well if i hadn't spent a lot of time practicing on my own and roleplaying it out in my head.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

Arcsech posted:

e: you could always send a follow-up email, I have literally had the "forgot to follow up" thing

This. Sending a follow up email is professional and in fact looks good.

Greet.
Mention why you're sending the email.
Specifically mention the time you interviewed and for the title of position.
Let them know you're still interested and would love to hear about any next steps.
Ask for an update.
Love,
You.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

i had my first day and i do not know how to process these bougie people and this environment that doesn't have open contempt for it's employees. i anticipate 3-6 months of feeling like a total fraud.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i'll give you that -- the cases i named that would make cis white males uncomfortable are not matters of pre-employment discrimination but rather career dangers

the danger is not that divorcees will face discrimination, it's that the chinese wall between hr and management will break down such that divorcees are forced into unpleasant economic circumstances

jesus christ what is wrong with you

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

These are learnable skills just like technical ones. No one came fresh from the womb knowing how to code or blarney your way into some dollar dollar bills.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

I work at a place where the software development people are "IT" and "install windows, bring you a mouse, manage the servers, spy on the employees email" people are called something else, and they don't have the same reporting chain.

There really isn't any consistency across organizations.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

qhat posted:

I just see it as if you're not exceptional (to me this is well over six figures), native citizens should always take strong precedence over you in skills based immigration. Unskilled should not be eligible for anything other than strictly temporary or family based immigration.

economic migrants are bad except when they are me, literally.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

Devonaut posted:

after slightly less than ten thousand years, I managed to get a job offer today for ~44k over my previous salary

just point me to the guillotine

guilt is useless, get paid

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

Gazpacho posted:

do tell about your compromise-free career

terrible person had a terrible experience at the terrible company in the terrible industry.

you're the one who were looking for sympathy.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

got my 5% for exceeds expectations, looking around anyway because i have a sense of impending doom

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

Second round (of four) interview next week.

I've got several people inside that company singing my praises so I'm even looking forward to it.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

like totally or they just didn't remember their modulo operator

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

third round interview friday. should be at least 20% more money if it comes through.

my team is so hosed when i leave.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

the glengarry git ross leads

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

interview status: I have no idea how that went. any feeling of positivity about it is drowned out by impostor syndrome.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

cis: internal recruiter was like "they liked you will be back with you tomorrow"

i don't know if that means another round or an offer but I am extremely ready.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

"the process is going and we will try to be back with you on a start date on Wednesday."

not going to open the champagne yet, but feels good.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

Quackles posted:

Please understand that I don't intend this as any sort of slam on you, dig at you, etc. But I'm curious. What made you decide to go into programming in the first place, if you knew you didn't really like doing it that much?

I ask because I find that I find it hard to avoid writing code purely for my own utility or amusement, quite outside of what I do for work.

if i need to trade my time in order to live, i want to get the best value i can for it.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

"we'll have word for you after memorial day weekend!"

fffffffffffffffffffffffffff

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

PIZZA.BAT posted:

this is good news. if they knew they didn’t want to hire you they’d just tell you now. they probably have one other candidate they already have scheduled but they feel pretty confident it will be you

I know. I did my interviews and assessments ages ago and every follow up has been like this.

These people are slow and I knew that going in, just my friends who also are in this hiring cycle (for different positions) are starting to get word and I want to hear back too.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

you are qualified for computer touching, the trick at this point is luck/opportunity.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

handle posted:

i'm in the denver area and have a ged. oof, typing that out, you're not kidding i need to get papers.

thanks for transitional recommendations. does "msp" stand for managed service provider? i'm not familiar with the players in my area i guess.

msp covers a lot of things but think "outsourced desktop support"

it beats the gently caress out of bussing tables.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

bob dobbs is dead posted:

you could walk into a 80k/year junior dev job lol

if they knew someone, sure. if they got very lucky and got in to an interview/assessment stage where they could talk about the things they have done and the person sees potential/is sympathetic.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

bob dobbs is dead posted:

yeah the annoying thing will be getting to a screen

people who are working bussing jobs and entry level manufacturing generally don't have the kind of that kind of personal network.

so you're going to have to make your own network/luck, i'm afraid.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

the place i interviewed with four months ago called me up and said "our new director is really excited to talk to you" so i guess i'll talk to them.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

CarForumPoster posted:

good luck!

(the person they hired didnt start or they opened a new req)

that's likely not wrong, although I think it's the latter. trying to puzzle it out is kremlinology though.

i'll put up with being jerked off for months and hopping through the required hoops in exchange for how good my inside sources say this company is to work for + the amount of money + the insanely good benefits + the positioning it will put me in 3ish years if I want to move along.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh
Offer paperwork tomorrow
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

(it's more money than I was expecting.

never give a number.)

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

CarForumPoster posted:

For computer touchers at US companies with >500 employees, how many direct reports does your manager have? Manager being the person that is above you on an org chart, and likely not doing much, if any, technical work.

6ish?

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

also people touching roles include "business analyst" and "scrum master"

agile training/certificates are not super expensive and it's a good grift.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

Achmed Jones posted:

don't feel bad, you normally don't get software jobs by calling a company up and asking for one unless you're in your grandpa's anecdote from 1949

drive to their office, don't leave until you get an interview!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

you must have a humiliation kink

there is no other explanation