Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

grades are fine to look at for an internship but lol @ caring about them for anything else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i post from home, work, and everywhere in between with the power of mobile computing

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Apply to a job in chicago

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i want a new job but don't want to do any interviewing or put any effort into it

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

just just bogo sort

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i have to interview someone soon and i have no idea what im doing. what should i ask them

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

a guy above me lol. hes gonna be the technology lead on my platform

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

My job is similar to that, where best practices and safe choices are thrown out the door in favor of speed and corner cuts. It's bad.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

that seems like a reasonable question if you claim to have database experience on your resume

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

you can always create separate sections like "experienced with" and "familiar with" or something if your resume is sparse otherwise

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

uh aren't you unemployed? definitely take that job if you don't have anything else

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

you can always keep looking for a different job if you take it. the difference is that you'll have a paycheck and be able to prove that you are currently employable. do you have any interviews lined up for this larger, more hypothetical company? i don't know your exact situation but if you've been searching for a while with no luck, you'll have better luck searching while employed.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

you asked for a big jump over their offer with the leverage of being unemployed with no other offers, what did you expect their reply to be? if you still want to play ball you could try to figure out if you can negotiate within the salary band they have for the role but you're probably out of luck. if the initial offer really is too low, set an honest salary floor for yourself that you would be ok with and ask for it. if it's really fine and you just wanted to squeeze more out, well you don't have a lot of squeezing power as someone out of work.

also, how old are you?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Pollyanna posted:

hey, im following my due diligence here as bsd said, it couldnt hurt to try. and i get that i dont have a lot of leverage. i understand where i am now

i didn't say it was a bad idea to try, and i think its good that you asked for more money. but their reply was pretty predictable as well with the amount more you asked for. lots of companies would balk at someone asking for 30% more without any leverage

Pollyanna posted:

the original offer is acceptable in terms of living, but i dont want to undervalue myself. but if its as you say, i am not very valuable anyway.

i think acceptable in terms of living isn't properly valuing yourself if you are any good at your job. most software jobs pay a good living, doesn't mean you can't get more than that. give yourself a real, honest, realistic valuation for your time and effort

just curious

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Pollyanna posted:

to be honest i did kind of expect them to balk, but for them to name a number more around 100k~105k instead of just "no"

so you wanted 10-15k more than the offer so you asked for 30k more than the offer? i think you aimed too high, i would have asked for 105-110 or so or even just 105. save the higher requests for if you're forced to give the number first. if you got them to give it up you usually have a pretty good idea of their salary range for the role already. if it's wildly off base the job probably wasn't meant to be.

quote:

bolded the sticking point, as was mentioned i have relatively little experience so i am not confident i am what they need, but they seem to think i am. :shrug: that said i do want my salary to be on an upward projection so making the same as i did at the last place is a little...eh

also as a woman in tech i am very sensitive to being compensated properly/not being undervalued

experience and being good at your job are not necessarily the same thing. it's possible to be "good" at being a jr. developer and be more valuable than a "bad" jr. developer even though you may have the same number of years of experience. if people like working with you and you get your work done on time and with decent quality, you are good at your job. if you don't, perhaps you can improve and ask for more money.

quote:

i'd actually love some feedback on this because i feel very far behind others of my age/level of experience

there are plenty of people your age and experience doing worse than you too, don't derive your sense of satisfaction from your assumed peers. are you doing better than you were than in the past? great, keep it up.

qhat posted:

If you have little to no experience, the answer is no, not even in the bay area.

dunno about deserve but im pretty sure you can get 90k in the bay as an intern even

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

KoRMaK posted:

Yea I plugged my salary here into one of those cost of living calcs and it easily doubled it for San Jose area at like $190k.

I... I have no idea how realistic that is for me to get out there where it seems like an intern makes $90k.

Guess I should just go try! And start my asking price at $160 and see how little response I get.

my lead makes $150k+ in seattle, you could probably pull similar here

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i aggressively paid off my loans as soon as i got the chance because they were crushing me when i was broke. perhaps i could have invested the money and done a little better in the long run but i don't regret just getting it over with at all.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

one of my student loans was 8% interest. pretty bad

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Dongslayer. posted:

what are the yosposter approved resources for studying data structures?

i watched the Stanford lectures and did the homework and labs. Jonathan shewchuck or something similar is the lecturers name. recorded lectures on YouTube and freely accessable homework from a real school

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

they're in the OP of this thread you're all posting in

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

a very small horse posted:

hey i mostly lurk but i just doubled my salary at least partially thanks to this thread so thanks

also holy hell i have no idea what i'm doing, gently caress

welcome to the club

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

lol if u haven't been updating the same word document for 15 years

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i probably would have done the same, but i would try to move sooner. paying a lease penalty might be worth it to save many hours of your life

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

lmao 40 mins on a train is a piss easy commute

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

why would you drive when it isn't faster at all??????

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

40 driving is bad, 40 on a train is easy.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Caganer posted:

are we talking 40 total or 15 walking to train, 15-30 waiting on train 40 on train and another 10-15 to your apt

total:

Pollyanna posted:

tokyo is much more amenable to cyclists than boston is, and even the T is still about 39 minutes according to google maps

Pollyanna posted:

im in east boston, new place is near kendall square

when i lyfted it it was easily like ~40 min

and you have a good point re development...ill wait until im settled in to worry about that i think

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

you'd rather drive longer than take faster, literally free transit? are there any actual benefits to driving?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

akadajet posted:

if i wanted to deal with common people and go outside i would have become a cop

get over yourself, you're a common person

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

akadajet posted:

doesn't mean i want to hang out with other's like me

you're trapped with them at work anyway, unless your job doesn't involve other people

e: beaten :(

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

yeah you only have to think about it the first few times, then it's autopilot commute like driving. do you not use public transit around town ever? my prediction is "no" but give it a go, it's easy

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

what series funding

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i had to interview another dude today and it was a phone screen. he kinda rambled a lot on questions he didn't understand, kinda like a book report on a book you only skimmed. he also was obviously googling some answers lol

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

im getting a lot better at interviewing by giving them. turns out the person interviewing you does not give a single poo poo at all about it, so don't sweat it

e:

Pollyanna posted:

i wonder if its possible to be the opposite of the usual "terrible at interviewing, good at actually working" thing

yes, how do you think all your terrible coworkers in the past got jobs

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

better to tell me the truth than to lie to me poorly

e:

me: do you know anything about x, and if so please describe it
them: yes
*long pause*
me: hello
them: yes, hello
*longer pause*
*they start reading me the wikipedia article*

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Rex-Goliath posted:

ALWAYS admit that you don't know the answer. There's nothing wrong with not knowing something. Someone who has too much pride to never admit they don't know something is someone I absolutely do not want on my team

yeah this. i ask a good number of questions about things that aren't really hard to learn but get used often to gauge familiarity. I want someone who will admit their shortcomings and be honest about their work, not someone who just says the most agreeable thing and stumbles through everything

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

my team is also moving to another org. :(

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

anybody in seattle need an android dev

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

we need more experienced devs! *offers below market*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

the range of people applying to programming roles includes people who are 100% full of poo poo so it's best to cut them early with incredibly basic coding questions