Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

counterpoint: being late is usually not a big deal and it is waste of life being early for everything.

adjust to what stressed you out the least, but i think more people overall suffer from applying excessive margins than do from being late. e.g. spending too much time at aggressively terrible places like airports and jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

really weird day to be first in the office though

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

qhat posted:

Actually it's the perfect day to be first in the office

to make it maximally awkward when the second person (well, however many arrives before the relevant boss/hr person gets there) to arrive has to refuse to let you in since they wont know who you are, or is the plan to just break a window and start doing work at someones desk?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

sure, best to not be late, but it really isn't worth being too worried either (like, if traffic is truly terrible people will understand). and certainly don't arrive too early your first day, as you're there strictly a task someone will have to take care of, rather than in any real sense being an asset.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

KidDynamite posted:

i’m hoping and feeling like i might get the figgie call today. i’m having trouble thinking of words I can string together that amount to no you give figgie first. please provide safe wisdom. I have the following in mind.

i feel like without the full benefits package in front of me i cant make an accurate estimate on what a base salary number would be. could you send me the benefits package and what you were thinking over an email so I can take my time to review?

not sure what i would follow up with if pressed though.

you may be overthinking a bit, what can they really say to press you given that opener?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

qhat posted:

I'm curious to how Brexit is going to affect software salaries in London. Wages for devs are unexpectedly low at the moment considering the cost of living.

as depressing as canary wharf is it has nothing on frankfurt. but that is indeed where it's going.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, london will remain a european center, but it used to be *the* european center. based on just the movement of people i know frankfurt (god no) and paris (hell yeah) are on the upswing.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

feedmegin posted:

Except the City cut a deal long since to deal with that?

can't be bothered to check the details now, but p. sure the deal is just "existing instruments will be treated according to the legal framework in effect when they were issued", here filtered through insufferable editorializing.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

going by assets is pretty misleading when talking about this type of institution. nbsd presumably forgot about credit suisse, but the basic fact is unchanged: the actual work happens inside the markets dealt with. barcap or hsbc will not disappear either, but they'll become more eu-centered.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

feedmegin posted:

Why would they remove the stopgap, ever, if stability is what everyone wants? I mean, assuming that things do go haywire, because if they don't a formal agreement with much the same effect will presumably have been reached anyway. If a deal has been set up between the sensible adults and it works why would said sensible adults then gently caress with it? And lol if you think senior banking staff are going to have much trouble getting visas no matter what.

because it is bad for the eu to let foreign powers meddle in their markets, both for reasons of controlling the flow of money and for simple accountability purposes. as noted i an quite sure the stopgap is inherently time-limited.

being a sensible adult sounds great, but britain decided to vote against that route.

you also overestimate the relative power of individual bankers, their preferences has no bearing on anything at this level.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

FMguru posted:

presumably theres a financial sector in the wizarding economy

nah, the (((goblins))) run the financial sector

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Captain Foo posted:

it's gnomes that are the stereotype

i thought it was goblins (with huge noses incidentally) in whatever the wizarding bank was called?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

some bullshit is probably expected, but it is pretty valid to check that a candidate can bullshit enough to be polite and generally function on a social leverl in a situation where they probably wont be loving every moment or aspect.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

can't possibly be that hard to separate conjoined twins anyway.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

went and made a pitch today to sell the company I started. I feel like I whiffed it a little because I got a little too in the weeds for the venue (ceo and VP). I had just been talking to the operations Director who is much closer to things and was easier to talk shop with.

I guess I hope the director pulls for me and they get what I was talking about and how it can work for their company.

had exactly the reverse experience pitching my company the other week, i came in expecting to have to explain stuff in a very basic way, but they blindsided me by immediately laying out their internal effort to build something very similar to what i offered (the link being that the thing i'm offering is a pretty radical improvement on something i built five years ago, and the company i met with have ended up owning that version through an acquisition). the end result being that they are trying to hire me onto their project instead, so i am in a bit of a bind since that was not my plan at all.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

that is pretty much exactly the level of effort i've seen from headhunters in the past yeah.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Private Speech posted:

Just so I'm clear here the answer to the last thing is "undefined behaviour" right? B/C while I'm primarily a C toucher I do a fair bit of C++ and that's what I'd say.

i'd guess so. in practice i guess it'll grab some junk from the unused part of the stack, but in actual real practice your compiler will complain.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

when the financial crisis hit my bosses at lehman brothers informed me that we had enough cash for decades and decades.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Hughlander posted:

To be fair he did. And he made more of it off of the crisis.

as did i, got a gigantic raise and not a day of unemployment. make no mistake about how the suffering was distributed in the world.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

a boss i had 10+ years ago reached out yesterday to offer me to do a pretty neat little research software project for them. very timely (tiny money, but i had nothing much going on, and it does seem really cool), and once again demonstrates the value of maintaining your past professional contacts a bit.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, i'm following a similar route. computer touching pays plenty, so i try to basically have work for half the year, having my own company pay me out at a 50% over the whole year to qualify for benefits and government pensions and such. then doing my own projects (e.g. research) the rest of the year.

also gives me room to wait out especially interesting projects.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ultrafilter posted:

They have an internal candidate but need to make a public posting to comply with The Rules.

this. and a huge fraction of postings are actually this, so never wonder when things are overly specific.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the academic predatory journal version, where they just randomly pick and praise one of your past articles, and claim it very relevant for inclusion in their very next issue, is still even stupider.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

which is dumb, bad, and unsurprising.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i should bump the ethics thread, but for me it was bad enough that i took on a bit of work for an adtech company earlier this year. i lost all enthusiasm (from being in a pretty happy place prior to that) for my work from that brief encounter.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

either way i think it is to be expected for a system which has been developed in isolation for 30 years to be idiosyncratic, and in my experience it tends to be pretty possible to figure out given a bit of time and patience (to a point where one risks getting stockholm syndrome pretty quick).

and as such i think the question of whether there are comments or the length of variable names is mostly a red herring for whether the op wants to stick at this job or not. because whether well documented or not old system maintenance in a presumably pretty stodgy company is not necessarily exciting work.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

making the big bucks is a good plan, but do also spend some time thinking about what "do something more meaningful" means, because it might be actionable sooner than you think even without first chasing the big bucks for some indeterminate time.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the list is good and using hyperlinks to add to a written text in a natural way is a sadly lost art.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

FMguru posted:

that reminds me of one of my favorite hr/recruiting phenomena - the booth at the job fair for a company that isnt hiring

(they booked that booth a year ago, before the downturn, and the hr team needs to justify its continued budget and headcount, so the show goes on)

also seemingly every person at every company in a hiring freeze deludes themselves that it is ending next month.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the value in linkedin is mostly if you work at it a bit. having worked for a number of companies which have ex-/imploded the spread of my network is actually really good, so it is helpful for other things than getting blindly contacted by recruiters at this point.

it is not that big a task either, send out some key invites whenever you leave a place, they might come in handy in the future.

but when starting from nothing there's likely other places way better for simple job-hunt.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

barkbell posted:

ya a job at a startup. i assume that the important thing is they are growing and it seems like a cool place to work.

i mean, no, the important thing is that you are likely looking for work to get paid, so their current and future ability to pay you should top the important things list.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Corla Plankun posted:

i'm too ignorant about it to have a problem with it, but i've seen things on leftist twitter about resource extraction in general being haraam

while "there is no ethical consumption under capitalism" has a lot of truth in it, the conclusion should not be that the elimination of consumption is possible or desirable.

where in an ideal world (at current technological levels) consumption of oil should be eliminated on its own terms (as the consumption itself is bad), consumption of iron is largely fine as long as it is not outright wasteful of the finite resource.

leftist twitter likes its absolute extremes, but most realistic leftist utopias would have plenty of mining.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

qirex posted:

idk about you guys but I'd love to return to a time when 12-18 hours of every day was spent just getting enough calories to wake up the next day and do it again until the moment you die

i don't think this is the modern idea of how it worked, rather it was fairly little work 95% of the time, but variations year to year had you all starve to death without warning or face some other disaster like that. whereas farming is way more consistent but also way more consistently hard work.

civilization is cool and good though, i respect the idea of voluntary extinction way more than i do anarcho-primitivism.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i have to think that the test of the fifth interview was to hire only the people sensible enough to tell them to poo poo or get off the pot already when called.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jabor posted:

2) is one of those stupid gotcha questions that is trivial if you've seen the trick before (and having seen it before has no bearing on your ability to actually problem-solve or be productive in the workplace or anything like that)

do it in two passes - first reverse the entire string in-place, then reverse each individual word in-place

oh yeah, that's pretty clever. i struggled to come up with the answer, but the best i could do was with a lot of looping (rotate the string one character at a time until the last symbol is a space, then recurse on the remainder of the string, e.g. "test a string", "gtest a strin", "ngtest a stri" ... "stringtest a ", recurse), but it is real certainly a mess of a thing to write out in 10 minutes (e.g. need two base cases, for no spaces and a for a single trailing space).

it would also take me roughly forever to solve 3.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

barkbell posted:

well the final interview would be with the ceo so i can ask him if i get there

yep, that is probably wise and good. be diplomatic though, as it is plenty likely that the ceo came in and nixed a bunch of dumb startup bullshit.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Poopernickel posted:

how do you have a .5 fig?

like does that mean 150k? 316k? 500k?

6.5 dece figgies is 316k.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Steve Jorbs posted:

Cool...that sounds sketch as hell. Is there any potential reason for this outside of, "We don't want to hire a candidate from a state that has any worker protections greater than non-existent?"

all about laws around non-competes and such i'd guess yeah.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i've used latex regularly for 20 years and still spent two+ hours the other day trying to get text to flow around a figure in the right way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

fourwood posted:

total grats on the figgies, i’m glad they didn’t hose you

and add another story to the “never say a number” board

at minimum it is a hard rule that you never interrupt people about to tell you a number to say another number.