Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I need a job someone hire this dev tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
ya please hire

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
how do I get into machine learning

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
someone should build a fitness app

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
does that work

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Just finished an interview with an in-house corporate recruiter. I told her I was working with 5 recruiting agencies. She said "professional-to-professional" I shouldn't work with anymore and even 5 is too many as companies might end up with multiple copies of my resume and it makes me look desperate. I assume this is a recruiter lie to get me to limit my options.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Boiled Water posted:

sounds like it

like the tricks to get you to give up a number

She was extremely pushy about a number. I said I was changing careers and want see what opportunities are available. Then she threw out a number, which I just remained silent about, so she threw out a bigger number. Then I said I was thinking a little more and upped that number by 15%. She said wow that's a lot more but said she wanted to talk to the team and have them meet me. So I guess I should have thrown out a bigger number. This is a weird process and I am bad at it.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

MononcQc posted:

You got her to up her initial range twice, it's not like you failed at it. A lot of people who undervalue themselves and give a number first end up below what the first number from the recruiter would be in the first place anyway.

You say initial range. I'm guessing this comes into play again when the offer comes and I'll have to negotiate more as they might come in under that number? I'm extremely new to this as my past jobs I was mostly just gracious to have a job so I took the first thing coming at me.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
this is day 1 of the job search, wasnt expecting to get hit up this hard so soon ty pos

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
please call me back companies i hate waiting

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
i'm at the "let me talk with the team and see what they say" post-phone interview position with a few places now. the longest one was a week ago. should i be following up asking for a status update? i hate this waiting poo poo.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I'm doing about 15 applications a week

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
i have my first technical interview scheduled for monday, i guess i better study up fizzbuzz or whatever

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
followed up with that internal recruiter after no contact and she responded my salary expectation is too high and are considering other candidates. should I try to even respond

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
ya same company. I did give her the response of I need to meet the team, see the process, and see what specifically i would be working on. she just pushed back getting frustrated and so I just threw out a number. I should have just repeated myself instead. oh well. interview somewhere else tomorrow so I hope that goes well.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
i was mostly interested in this job to use as an offer to play against another position at a company that i actually like. it's not a huge deal, better to make a mistake early on in the process and learn from it for the next interview, which is tomorrow.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
anyone got tips for passing a tech interview with flying colors? this poo poo is hard

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
after a couple rounds of interviews i was informed by hr that they are trying to secure funding for new projects before they make any hiring decisions. what the hell am i supposed to do with that information. feels like they wasted my time.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
pressing that button

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
did an application yesterday for a large polling, consulting, assessment firm. part of the application was a 45 minute personality assessment. now i have an interview scheduled for tomorrow with them and i looked up interviews on glassdoor for this company and it seems like its just a hell of personality assessments all the way down.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
landed an onsite with that company on monday. they want me to take another online personality assessment this weekend, then do an onsite tech assessment, and apparently during the interview will do an in person personality assessment based on the results of my other assessment. fuckin hell this is a lot of work

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Jabor posted:

and it's not like you even need to lie, you just need to sound like you don't already hate the job before you've even got it

you can easily say "me python developer, you looking for a python developer" while also making it sound like you actually give a poo poo

I had this experience last week. During the HR phone screen they asked why I wanted to work at x company. I said "x company sounded like a great company to work for." She said "no really why do you want to work here," so I replied "You are looking for a Node.js developer and that's one of my strongest skills." She then immediately asked me when I could come in for an interview with the team. I'm pretty sure that question is making sure that the company's goals for that position and your goals as a candidate line up.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

School of How posted:

What if they followed up with "I see, but why are you excited about working at this specific node.js company over any other node.js company?"

There aren't that many node.js opportunities in this city. I may have mentioned something about how that was unique for here.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

School of How posted:

Hmm, sorry but that's a hard sell

welcome to nebraska

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

had you considered not living in nebraska

i've done it before and would like to do it again

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
The place I did my node.js tech interview with this morning just called me saying they want to move forward with some references. I assume after that they will be proceeding with an offer. The recruiter said to think of a salary range and let her know with the referneces. Any advice? This seems to be moving really fast

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Wait what. They called me asking for references and also to give them a range since I said I hadn't considered one quite yet.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
The recruiter said this is the last step of the process. No more interviews. I should probably e-mail back asking for a discussion of benefits.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Not a Children posted:

You're in a great position. Hold steady and whatever you do, do not give them a number.

I just replied with my references and didn't mention anything about a range.

If I do receive an offer what's the proper way to reply? Do I ask for a week to consider since I have two more tech interviews this week? Do I mention that I have more interviews? Do I ask what benefits are negotiable? I'm real new to this.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
stuck on a reference check with no communication for a week. how long does this poo poo normally take. im sick of interviewing and want to start working

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

The Management posted:

global one percent is $32,400 per year.

fuk

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I feel like I'm being dragged along by a few companies now. I had interviews two different companies three weeks ago, one of which asked for a reference check, and I keep getting "waiting on making a decision" or "waiting on some administrative steps" when I inquire about the status of my application. It seems like nonsense and they are stalling for some stupid reason. Seems kinda like when a company said "having funding issues" to me like two months ago then gave the job to my friend. Any advice besides just keep applying and interviewing elsewhere? This is going to be my first dev job btw.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

The Management posted:

keep searching. don’t stop searching until you have an offer you want to take.

companies delay hiring decisions for all kinds of reasons. sometimes the person that could sign off on the hire is on vacation. sometimes they are incompetent morons and forgot about you. and sometimes they are just not that into you. regardless, if the ball is in their court, keep pressing other opportunities, don’t wait around for them to act.

ofc, i have another interview in a couple hours. i'm just more frustrated because i want to make this career switch and get to work.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
apply to every position. if you are junior apply cio who cares. it’s their job to reject you.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I have an interview with vp of tech, former cio before company buyout, this afternoon. i haven't had to do this kind of interview before what kinda questions should i expect?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

The Management posted:

high level bullshit session. light on technical details, more interested in whether you’re a person that can speak about things. maybe lip service to quality, vision, and why you’re interested in this role.

also that you’re not a total goon.

im hosed

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
the company that asked for my references and called them a couple weeks ago seems to have ghosted me. cool.

barkbell fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 13, 2019

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
ive gotten to the final round at 4 companies so far as a developer only for them to choose the other candidate who has previous developer experience. i was previously in accounting and hold a degree but not in cs.

what are the best jobs adjacent to development to apply for that will get me closer to my goal of becoming a developer? or what can i do to get more developer experience beyond just making personal projects, ideally on a team?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Behold: three posts, very related to each other. An enmeshed whole

nice poem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

jesus WEP posted:

interviews are an imperfect process and luck plays a way bigger role than anyone involved would like to admit

finally landed my first job as a developer after making it to the final round with 6 other companies. i couldnt begin to tell you what was different on the last one.