Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
On Saturday I replaced the Volvo's front pads and rotors, gave it its annual oil change and put the winter wheels/tires on.

Old and busted:

New hotness:

I really like how these wheels look on my 850. They're actually from an early 2000s V70.

The job was straightforward but the brakes themselves still took four hours and I was really sore on Sunday. Getting old sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

CornHolio posted:

The engine they're dropping in is out of an '03ish Accord. Nothing exciting.

That's a shitload more exciting than a CR-VTEC (and also requires a shitload of fabrication - custom axles, custom mounts, new wiring, etc). 03 Accord would be a K24 engine - the first gen only came with a B series.

An 02 Accord 4 pot would be an F23, which would still be a slight upgrade over what it came with, but would require the Accord's ECU and engine wiring. But the F series bolts right up to the B series trans, and should drop in with slightly modified mounts.

Unless it's actually a 2nd gen CR-V, in which case, the 03 Accord engine should drop right in. I think the exhaust manifold and cams are slightly different between the two (just shifting the power curve a bit), but the power output is the same.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Nov 5, 2018

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So I think the front right caliper on the Volvo is sticking. This is the one I replaced in January. When driving the car it feels like I'm accelerating against a force (if that makes sense) but it isn't pulling to either side. When I got home that wheel smells like burning.

So it isn't seized or anything but it's lightly gripping. I'm going to jack it up and see if it rotates freely tomorrow (if I have time) but is there any way this could be air in the brake line? I did notice that the piston was difficult to push all the way in when I replaced the pads last month.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
the brake line itself could have collapsed internally, leading to a check valve like situation.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Oh yeah, I have a thread!

Not much to update. Got the truck back, it's parked out back uninsured now due to the weather. The Jeep is back there as well but I still have insurance on it.

The Volvo ended up needed both new front calipers (that's what I get for replacing the PS one with the cheapest one I could find on Amazon, I suppose). Winter tires are on, I'm driving it regularly at the moment.

Challenger hasn't moved in over a week.

Focus is still doing well. Going to need an oil change soon though.

Porsche is in storage :(

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

STR posted:

That's a shitload more exciting than a CR-VTEC (and also requires a shitload of fabrication - custom axles, custom mounts, new wiring, etc). 03 Accord would be a K24 engine - the first gen only came with a B series.

An 02 Accord 4 pot would be an F23, which would still be a slight upgrade over what it came with, but would require the Accord's ECU and engine wiring. But the F series bolts right up to the B series trans, and should drop in with slightly modified mounts.

Unless it's actually a 2nd gen CR-V, in which case, the 03 Accord engine should drop right in. I think the exhaust manifold and cams are slightly different between the two (just shifting the power curve a bit), but the power output is the same.

I think you have confused F/H series compatibility - while an F/H can be put on a B series trans it needs an adapter housing

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Porsche is out. Clutch pedal feels real low, but its driveable. Hoping it isn't the slave cylinder.

Jeep was struggling to stay running yesterday morning but ran OK this morning so I don't know what's up with that.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Got new all-seasons installed on the Volvo so I can drive it year-round. The previous tires on it were probably nine years old and in awful shape. Winter wheels and tires are off and in the garage. I also tore apart the right rear brakes in an attempt to fix the parking brake. I replaced the broken bracket (a part I ordered in 2013, you can tell its been a real high priority for me) but broke the brittle spring at the top of the parking brake mechanism. So still no parking brakes.

I also put new wiper blades on the truck because the old ones disintegrated. Like, I tried to use them and the rubber tore off of both sides immediately. So it goes.

doogle
May 24, 2003

CornHolio posted:

So I think the front right caliper on the Volvo is sticking. This is the one I replaced in January. When driving the car it feels like I'm accelerating against a force (if that makes sense) but it isn't pulling to either side. When I got home that wheel smells like burning.

So it isn't seized or anything but it's lightly gripping. I'm going to jack it up and see if it rotates freely tomorrow (if I have time) but is there any way this could be air in the brake line? I did notice that the piston was difficult to push all the way in when I replaced the pads last month.

I had the same problem with my WRX years ago. Spray some water (or just spit on) the rotors after a drive, you should be able to tell which one is the issue because it will immediately evaporate/sizzle due to it being way hotter than the other 3. In my case, it was the caliper which I just replaced versus rebuilding.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Ooh boy I had an exciting drive in to work. Drove the Jeep because it's been awhile. On the highway going 75, hit a bump and for the first time ever I experienced death wobble.

I can't go over 50 now without it happening. This is new. I'm assuming something broke or came loose but is there anything in particular this is attributed to? I've seen a thousand conflicting things over the years.

edit: Maybe I just need to get under there and poke around.

edit: I imagine this is my issue...

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 23, 2019

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That swaybar link probably isn't the issue, but if it's in that bad of shape I would expect the other joints to be similarly rough.

DW is one of those things where I think the parts cannon is fully justified.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Number one place to look in my experience is the track bar. Check the axle side and frame side for looseness.

Or yeah, shotgun parts at the whole front end, I'm sure it needs it!

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Astonishing Wang posted:

Or yeah, shotgun parts at the whole front end, I'm sure it needs it!

Oh it definitely needs it.

This is the other side. It's completely disconnected.

I was going to start with the end links and front shocks (which are toast)... I'll check the track bar.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Expect to break lots of bolts, especially the axle side of the track bar. You can squeeze a sawsall blade in between the bracket and bushing to cut the bolt. Buy a new flag nut or you can jam a wrench in there well enough to install a regular nut. The frame side is a bitch too, just drop the bracket because you probably won't be able to get the castle nut off in the bracket. Check that the grease fitting thread on the new track bar isn't damaged from the factory.

I just did this with a buddy. Hopefully yours is less rusty, but it doesn't look like it is.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I've been slowly doing stuff as time and weather permits. In three months I've removed like two nuts... what can I say, it's been a crazy busy summer.

I got one endlink off. The other one I'm going to have to cut off. I'm trying to figure out how much I was to try to accomplish before winter... I'm thinking these endlinks, pad/rotors and front shocks. It needs tie rods, control arms and a billion other things but I'm afraid that if I don't limit my scope I'm not going to accomplish it all. The endlinks are actually completely broken, the brakes are shot and the front shocks just look real easy to do...if I get all that done quickly I'll keep going I think.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Jeep has new steering stabilizer endlinks, new front shocks and new front pads and rotors. I'm going to replace the front tires and then it should be back on the road.

I am told that the stabilizers won't cause death wobble, but it seems nobody is an expert on it and they were both completely broken, so we'll see. It also needs every other front steering and suspension part replaced but nothing else is that broken so we'll see. The front windows and the heat still don't work, and I was hoping to get the latter fixed before Christmas but now I'm not so sure. Being the sixth priority vehicle has its downsides.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Jeep is back on the road. New stabilizer bar endlinks, new front shocks, new front pads and rotors, new front tires. It appears that the death wobble is gone (for now). The left rear shock is blown and that corner of the Jeep noticeably sags so that might be the next item. Or the heat, which would be nice to have for winter, or the front windows.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I need help

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

With what? :shrug:

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Do you need someone to drive the 944 a few times a week to keep it happy?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

CornHolio posted:

I need help

Incorrect. You are doing it right. Proceed.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Looks like a driveway of fun to me

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Wrar posted:

Do you need someone to drive the 944 a few times a week to keep it happy?

Right now I'm furloughed so none of them are being driven.

I'm being a steward of my late father's MX-5. My mom can't drive it. I was going to run it through a tank of gas, swap it out for his brand-new BMW 3-series that she won't drive, run it through a tank of gas, then drive my cars... but she said she'd sell it to me for a hilariously low price, and I'm considering it.

My suburban house would have seven cars at it and honestly it's a pain to keep them all driven and parked somewhere accessible. I don't really want to get rid of any of them, though...

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Car hoarding is the best hoarding. Ask me about living in an apartment and having 5 cars and 3 motorcycles.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

CornHolio posted:

Right now I'm furloughed so none of them are being driven.

if you're furloughed don't you have more time? :thunk:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Over the past few months I haven't really done much. I replaced the hatch struts on the Porsche so the hatch holds itself open now, which is nice. But then I drove a couple of coworkers to a job site in the Jeep and realized that when it's 95° out, driving in a vehicle with no A/C and with the front windows unable to roll down sucked pretty bad. The smells in that thing were awful.

So I got home and ripped the door cards off and got to work. I'd already bought new regulators (with the motor) off of Amazon, but I had to replace the driver's side switch as well because it wasn't passing voltage to the passenger side switch.

While I was in there I replaced a whole bunch of plastic fasteners and added the passenger side locking rod, which was missing entirely. I did something wrong because now it won't unlock, but I'll fix that another time.

While the Jeep was in my garage I got a sense of just how badly it leaks oil. I really need to replace the leak coming from the transfer case because after only a couple of days there was a decent puddle on the ground. It appears as though the rear main is also leaking but not as bad.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Also... man the junkyard can be depressing for an auto enthusiast sometimes.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Holy poo poo that 914 has such rusty rockers(technically longitudinals) that if you sat in it, it would fold up like a lawn chair. Those are the only thing that provide a structure to the middle of the car. I'd hate to gently caress with something that rusty and try bringing it back. That's a drat shame, they're actually worth something these days now that the poorer boomers can't get into the 911s anymore. I wonder if there are any parts left for the D-jetronics on those. They were getting rare as rocking horse poo poo 15 years ago when I sold mine.

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 15, 2020

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So when it's cold out, the 944's clutch pedal has zero travel. Like it starts against the floor and engaged. After driving for awhile it comes up, and when it's warmer out it comes up and has what I would call a normal amount of pedal travel.

Master/Slave cylinder? Clutch lines?

edit: Also the car runs rough until the engine is up to operating temperature, which is something I've been chasing for years. It always smooths out, but when it's colder out it takes longer. It seems like the air/fuel ratio is wrong when it's not up to operating temp, so some kind of temp sensor I am imagining. Thoughts?

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Sep 4, 2020

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Oh man, I sometimes I forget I have a thread.

Not really a lot to update:

- Challenger: Hit 72k miles on it, starting to feel like something in the suspension needs replacing. Sounds like there's a noise coming from the rear when I'm turning. Haven't had a chance to take a closer look.
- Focus: Still just being rock solid.
- Jeep: I really need to replace the rear shocks, it's got a definite Carolina squat going on. Just dreading those upper bolts breaking off.
- Volvo: parked for now, still rock solid though.
- Truck: There's a hole in the floor that my foot went through. Not sure how much longer I can keep driving this.
- Porsche: Just replaced the plugs and wires, but the side mirror fell off last week. That was kind of funny.
- Miata: sold for my mom. I miss it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You probably won't get more than a half inch or maybe an inch out of new shocks in the Jeep. They barely contribute anything on those. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but... You probably need to do leaf springs in it. The eye bolts are going to be a fuckfest. Start hosing them down with aerokroil now, but don't expect it to really help at all.