Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

That was a beautiful episode.

They really highlighted Violet's earnest desire to grow and connect to people, even if she doesn't really understand that herself. Getting the pin felt like a major victory for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

AnacondaHL posted:

Luculia did seem p depressed. Maybe Violet is actually an emotional savant.

Well she was writing to her dead parents. I'd be pretty sad too if I were in that position.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I really wanted to like this episode, but it feels like the show is spinning its wheels for the most part. I get annoyed by setups where all the characters are repeatedly exasperated and surprised by the robotic, child-like nature of the protagonist. I can understand this reaction when first meeting someone, but at some point it doesn't make sense for it to continue. You would learn to start explaining concepts in really basic terms, or at the very least stop reacting so dramatically to it when it occurs for the 12th time that day. Although Violet was able to be helpful and showed some growth, they keep hammering out the same conversation over and over.

There Bias Two fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Feb 1, 2018

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Spiritus Nox posted:

It would weird me out less if the we didn't go from the first half of the episode kind of cinematically making a point of how uncomfortable and painful the princess found being paraded out in front of suitors at ten was to the second half basically going "but this particular arranged marriage is totally fine, they actually love each other just fine" tbh

I don't think it was portrayed as totally fine. The princess was shown to be pretty traumatized by the whole process and separation from her caretaker, and I think there were zero actual romantic gestures from the prince, who just as likely was trying to cheer up a girl stuck in a lovely situation. Violet didn't indicate how she felt about the marriage, only that she was happy to bring the princess some peace.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Not Keyser Soze posted:

Oh man this show show is beyond gorgeous but um

*deep breath*

YOU HAVE CREATED A FANTASY WORLD. NO ONE IS FORCING YOU TO ABIDE BY THE GROSSEST TRADITIONS OF HISTORICAL PATRIARCHIES.

I don't think this is a "fantasy" setting so much as an alternate history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

AnacondaHL posted:

yakisoba is an international delicacy

It isn't??

• Locked thread