Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I hope every episode concludes with Violet reaffirming that yes, she does in fact want to know what "I love you" means. At least they have to do it 8 times otherwise I am disappoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

where the red fern gropes posted:

violet's letter read like a suicide note

Luculia did seem p depressed. Maybe Violet is actually an emotional savant.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

This is turning out to be the most unintentionally funny show of the season. Like if this were just an above-average anime production I don't think I'd be watching, but my goodness KyoAni is just going all out with the "hey check how good we can make this because we're kyoani gently caress yea *animates a bee grabbing some iris pollen just because*". This show is visual hubris.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Ah, yes, the alternate history where WWI ended differently, high grade mechanical prosthetics are common, and yakisoba is an international delicacy

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Think of all the loaves of bread that had to be destroyed for our viewing pleasure, Kyoto Animation you monsters!

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Well it's official. This show has a that scene. :suspense:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Zark the Damned posted:

A drat fine episode. Now I've got to go find out who's been cutting onions here...

It's the animators that destroyed all the bread for last ep and all the eggs for this one, they are making some sort of meal

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

That scene reminded me of something, took me a while to figure it out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5WWqEXMix0

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

and version 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUCB8VlTaTA

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I think the story is meant for us to question humanity in general. Having Violet with her distinct mechanical hands that have not been shown anywhere else in the show's universe, end up as not-human after all, would feel really lame and even contradictory to the themes they've been setting up so far.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

It wasn't just about the execution of the episode, or it's predictability, it was the final bonus scene with the ending credits song that got me, holy poo poo.

In brighter news, I loved the light touch KyoAni added when they were sitting on the couch and Ann got excited that she would get to teach Violet how to play dolls and was bouncing up and down and you could see the effect ripple to make Violet bob up and down as well :3:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Jenny Angel posted:

I really didn’t like the first two episodes and change of this, with my main gripe around how the show seemed interested in hitting specific emotional beats very slowly and repeatedly within a short time. It seems like the thread’s been really loving it lately, though - do you think it’s worth it for someone who disliked the earliest episodes to give it another shot? Or am I likely to get hung up on the same things if I try again

It took me and the wife 5 episodes to buy in, others say 3 episodes should be enough to know if it's personally worth it. But everything about this series has been such an incredible experience, from KyoAni's top notch animation production values to excellent framing and timing and shot composition, to characterization and interpersonal relationships, just everything.

This is one of the finest anime dramas.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

This was the first episode where I felt it had rushed pacing. Still good, but sucks that a more proper length for this story would have been like 1.5 episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm not a fan of the open-ended ending here, unless this is actually 14 episodes+..?

If they really wanted to close things out and cement Gilbert's death, the letter would have actually just said "I love you too". Short and with massive impact.

• Locked thread