Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
The dialogue and characterization in the first episode were astoundingly bad, the music was so saccharine that I was sick of it within a couple minutes, and while there's a lot of production values and technical competence on display in the aesthetics I never really felt like any personality was coming through in them. I guess I'll give another episode a shot if the studio's known for starting awkwardly before growing into great stuff? But Jesus Christ this is a pretty deep hole to dig themselves out of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

ViggyNash posted:

That wasn't as good an episode as the first. The show continues to hold out on confirming Gilbert's death, which is an unnecessary tease.

I have no knowledge of the source material, but I wouldn’t be surprised given the absolutely exhausting way that it’s been drawn out thus far if the big reveal is that Gilbert is actually alive but just wants Violet to stay away from him for some reason or other. Like, he told her he loved her on the battlefield, but he also told her to run away from him right? Maybe he’s slowly recovering from his wounds and just believes that Violet won’t be safe around him, or will fall back into her old habits of being an ultra-loyal murder machine around him, or whatnot

It’d still be a pretty dire anime if that’s where they went, but I’d respect it a little more than if the reveal is just “Gilbert dead, Violet shook”

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Dias posted:

Me too. Also lol at "absolutely exhausting way Gilbert's death confession has been delayed" considering it's been two episodes my man and also let's be honest, Violet knows. She doesn't know she knows, but she knows.

Apologies - I worded my post pretty badly. I'm not talking about the delay to any reveal being exhausting, I'm talking about how the show is repeating certain character beats at a pretty quick pace within the two episodes so far. That kind of rapid repetition to drive a point home (e.g. "The blank-faced girl before me looked just like a doll - like the namesake of the job she performed. Like a mechanical doll.") is what's exhausting me, and by this point it's pretty clearly a deliberate choice that's working a lot better for other folks in this thread than it is for me

I'mma drop this one, but I do hope that it finds its legs over time / that it keeps delivering on the aspects that you guys are enjoying already!

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I really didn’t like the first two episodes and change of this, with my main gripe around how the show seemed interested in hitting specific emotional beats very slowly and repeatedly within a short time. It seems like the thread’s been really loving it lately, though - do you think it’s worth it for someone who disliked the earliest episodes to give it another shot? Or am I likely to get hung up on the same things if I try again

• Locked thread