Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
The true genius of this series is that it relates the plight of the unfeeling robot person to the audience by making the audience feel nothing. The scene of sad robot what is bad at job standing in the rain while some dramatic music swells in the background let me know I was supposed to feel sad, but I didn't feel sad at all. I am the true robot and thus I am undone.

Jokes aside, gonna give this a few episodes to see what they actually come up with given some time, but I'm having a hard time getting invested or feeling compelled by the emotionally stunted waif that imprinted super hard on that one guy who was nice to her once, but he's, like, dead now. Oh, so tragic.
It's pretty, I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!

Jenny Angel posted:

I really didn’t like the first two episodes and change of this, with my main gripe around how the show seemed interested in hitting specific emotional beats very slowly and repeatedly within a short time. It seems like the thread’s been really loving it lately, though - do you think it’s worth it for someone who disliked the earliest episodes to give it another shot? Or am I likely to get hung up on the same things if I try again

I was in the same situation in that I really didn't like the first two episodes. The third episode convinced me to keep watching, but I'm still not sure about this series. It certainly looks pretty, but I haven't found much else to like about it. It's not really bad in any way either, or at least I'm struggling to find anything to dislike. At this point I'm mostly just in it to see whether the larger plot will try to pay off in some way or come to some resolution.

It's pretty, has nice production values and some of the episodes have decent bargain bin drama novel plots.
I used to enjoy reading bargain bin drama novels and as such I can see some value in it, but it doesn't really rock the boat and the unfocused episodic nature, which can be hit and miss based on your preference of subjects, can be a detriment to the larger narrative. It's a slow burn.
So I guess it's "okay-ish"?

• Locked thread