Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

cathead posted:

On one hand, it sounds like the way the novel did it was interesting. On the other hand, I still sort of trust in Kyoani's adaptation skills since they also changed some things around in Maid Dragon and I felt it was better for it. I definitely want to give this a few episodes to see how they handle things story-wise from here before I make a final judgement.

Changing the chapter order does sorta change the tone of the story as the original order would probably endear the reader to the main character more before learning about her tragic past rather than the chronological/anime order which expects to endear you after. Depending on how it develops, it could very much end up as a very different sort of story and while I trust KyoAni with adaptations on the whole, I do worry that this change could unintentionally undermine the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I preferred this episode over the first too since it's a better scope of the cast than the previous. That being said, the director should've retained the LN order instead of going chronological since it really doesn't do a lot to make me care about any of the other characters other than Violet (and even then).

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I thought Violet would've been at least 16 or more. Not 14.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The age of 14 is by what other people have told her so it could likely vary upwards by any amount. What it really is :iiam:

The age gap thing is a bit gross, but taken in context with the setting and the historical period it's emulating, it's not all that out of place.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It's probably likely that Violet is older than 14 and just looks younger than her real age suggests due to things like malnourishment as an orphan stunting her growth

• Locked thread