Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I enjoyed the latest episode. Violet is gradually starting to make sense of her feelings and learnt to not answer literally everything with 'I was trained like this by the military' (like when asked why she's not tired out after working all day). It was neat seeing some of the other girls from the doll class too. I'm a bit weirded out that nothing came of the grouchy captain from the end of the previous episode, it seemed that would have led into something.

At least if she never understands emotions she'll make a great transcriptionist!

Agreed that the age thing is a bit weird and an unfortunate trope. Maybe she means it was 14 years since she got put in the military?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

A drat fine episode. Now I've got to go find out who's been cutting onions here...

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

There's probably like a whole division of war orphans they use as disposable tools, after all they're orphans so no-one will miss them. See also: IBO.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I seriously doubt they're going with 'is a clone' / 'bio-engineered life form'. The higher up dickheads treat her as an object because she's a feral orphan who had to fight to survive and they have no empathy, seeing only someone they can train as a disposable weapon with no ties to family or friends, because they are desperate to win the war at any cost. Gilbert's probably the only non-sociopath from his family, seeing her for who she is and wanting to take care of her but being forced to continue her training and missions by top brass.

I hope they don't pull a 'Gilbert is actually alive after all these years and was just pretending to be dead' scenario because the dude took a headshot and had a cathedral land on him. Only vague possibility would be if there were some enemy troops still there who found him alive and dragged him off to be interrogated but that's absurd too given the number of reinforcements turning up.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Someone's been cutting onions again...

Agree that it felt like a finale, I don't know where they're going to go from that. Kind of like Kuromukuro (which also felt like the show ended and then they had a couple more episodes).

I guess they could start showing her being happy with her friends now she's getting over her grief? Someone give the girl a hug already!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Mordja posted:

Gotta admit, I laughed when her arms fell, both times. Like she's some sort of lego person and they just pop off the joints. Also, pretty high-calibre rifle for it to do that. I mostly like this show but it's just melodrama all the way down.

Yeah, the rifle shooting off her arm was pretty dumb, the grenade is a bit more understandable due to sharp shrapnel I guess.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Sindai posted:

Granted it would have made more sense if they were just too badly mutilated to save but then they would have had to do the awkward TV censorship thing.

They could have just been shot up so badly her nerves were damaged and she couldn't move them, requiring later amputation and prosthetics. Wouldn't require much visible mutilation, just an 'I can't feel my arms' exclamation.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Raxivace posted:

Same as everyone else, I knew fairly early on where it was inevitably going and loving bawled anyways. :smith:

:same:

Amazing episode, I was worried where they were going to take the series after the previous episode but this one vindicated it for me.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I'm just worried about what direction the show is going to take after this.

Due to Violet's line about not wanting anyone else to die, I fear she's going to go and try to assassinate the leaders of the anti peace faction or something stupid like that.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Dzhay posted:

Well, Violet's lucky that a bunch of assholes trying to start a war for shits and giggles weren't prepared to just shoot someone.

They were arrogant assholes, plus they were trying to avoid shooting because it was a sneak attack? But yeah, bad guys being idiots.

I'm just hoping that Gilbert's brother stops being a dickhead and learns to accept Violet as a real person and not just the broken war doll he created.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I'm glad it stopped being Violent Evergarden but hell I wasn't expecting it to go full Ghost in the Shell like that.

I like that the episode title is a reversal of the first episode's title.

Gilbert being alive in the novels doesn't surprise me despite how dumb it'd be in the show.

At least Dietfried was less of an rear end in a top hat too, though he's still a little hostile towards Violet.

I'd also watch a second season but that felt like a good ending anyway. Though isn't there meant to be a 14th episode / OVA thing too? The Wikipedia page for the show says it's a 14 episode series (but that could be an error?).

It also mentions this:

quote:

On April 4, 2018, the official Twitter page for the anime series revealed that the “new Violet Evergarden anime will be completely new.”

Not sure what that means, I read it as 'season 2 will be original content not from the novel' but it could be something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

SmokaDustbowl posted:

what the gently caress does "anti-peace faction" even mean? is it a bad translation of anarchist or insurgent or something

It means just that, they're a faction of ex-soldiers who are anti-peace and want the war to continue, because they're a bunch of salty dickheads who feel their government betrayed them by surrendering when if they'd continued fighting they could have won the war.

• Locked thread