Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The show doesn't seem especially substantial or anything but its still early on and looks pretty so I'm staying with it for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Maybe the gimmick in Netflix's version is that Violet herself is doing the subtitles.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah it was a sweet episode. The letter at the end... :unsmith:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

where the red fern gropes posted:

why even hire the doll in the first place if you're already literate?
Being literate isn't the same as being able to write the kind of artful love letters they were talking about at the beginning of episode 5 though. That society uses reading those as like a national pastime even.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I fell a little behind, but Eps 7 and 8 were both good back to back.

I think its fine if Violet is just naturally good at killing, especially when the whole point of her arc is that being a murdergirl was actually bad and something she needs to recover from.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think there's still places to take this- like Violet had a big breakthrough this episode but she still hasn't quite moved on yet and still needs to gain a degree of independence. Even at the end of this episode it was still an analogue for the Major she was was seeking absolution from, when really she needs to be able to forgive herself.

Agreed about the drat onions.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Same as everyone else, I knew fairly early on where it was inevitably going and loving bawled anyways. :smith:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I've personally been wrecked by the delay for episode 11 subs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Pretty decent finale. I'm not really sure the train bomb stuff in these last two episodes was really needed but it was okay and the stuff afterward was stronger.

Mokinokaro posted:

The finale was pretty much as expected but apparently there's enough novel material left that they could use it to start a season 2.

I feel like this is where it should end though. Violet's journey is complete unless they decide Gilbert's alive after all which would be silly.

(Big novel spoilers)

yes he lives in the book but the show pushed him being dead a lot harder so it'd be a bit too fairy tale that he lived at all.
Oh yeah that spoiler sounds dumb. If they try and push it in a later season it would be stupid but this first season would still work as a self contained thing at least.

• Locked thread