Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Pretty great first episode even if it wasn't too plot-heavy, the setup is nicely handled and sets the tone for the future. It definitely met my expectations. The show looks beautiful and I'm glad to see the usual Kyoani attention to detail in the character movement and such. I'm looking forward to the rest!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Spiritus Nox posted:

First episode was gorgeous, but the writing felt stiff as all hell to me. Felt like the only time anyone broke their melancholy expression was for an awkward "let me just change right here" joke. Hope the show lets itself breathe a little more as we go on.

Isn't that kind of on Violet though, who basically doesn't know how to act human at all right now? Everyone else is either on guard around her because they're not sure how to deal with her (Mrs. Evergarden) or don't care because they have their own poo poo to deal with (Benedict), and the one guy who knows how to handle her (Hodgins) is wrestling with not having told her the truth about Gilbert. I'd imagine as Violet gets more comfortable around people and gets to know the other Dolls we'll have plenty of time for more expressive stuff. Seeing as the show is supposed to focus on her growth as a person, it makes sense to me that things are going to be kind of awkward starting out.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

On one hand, it sounds like the way the novel did it was interesting. On the other hand, I still sort of trust in Kyoani's adaptation skills since they also changed some things around in Maid Dragon and I felt it was better for it. I definitely want to give this a few episodes to see how they handle things story-wise from here before I make a final judgement.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

I thought it was a pretty good episode. The letter stuff was a little contrived but it made sense to me so it didn't particularly bother me, and anyway I was kind of hoping for a "Violet fucks everything up because she can't into emotions" sort of thing to start out. I like that we got some insight into Erica as well through her interactions with Violet.

The writing isn't that amazing so far but I'll take this over isekai LN shlock any day, and the animation is wonderful to watch so that helps make up for any deficiencies on the story side for me so far. I'm enjoying the show quite a bit.

edit: ^^^ No I'm pretty sure the dry humor is intentional and that's why the letter scenes come across as a bit over the top when they could have been played more straight if they wanted to keep it totally serious. Like the scene with the angry guy going on about his letter? That's definitely played for laughs at Violet's (and subsequently Erica's) reactions.

cathead fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jan 18, 2018

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

ViggyNash posted:

That wasn't as good an episode as the first. The show continues to hold out on confirming Gilbert's death, which is an unnecessary tease. I'm ok with the dry, disciplined way that Violet responds to everything, but it annoys me that no one has tried to sit down with her and at least try to teach her empathy.

Wasn't Hodgins' use of past tense pretty strong toward him being dead though? Like his whole thing is he can't bring himself to tell Violet the truth and it's eating him up inside so I'm not sure why people are expecting some sort of outright confirmation.

On the point of teaching Violet empathy, have people really known her long enough yet for them to even want to? I mentioned this about ep 1 as well but i get the impression most people who interact with her don't know how to approach her because they haven't dealt with someone like her before. She's only been there a few days so considering everyone else seems to already have their own things to deal with, I'm not surprised they're not jumping at the opportunity to try and get inside the head of this weird new robot lady. Erica was probably the first step toward someone even trying to figure her out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

This episode was definitely more of what I was looking for in the show. Though I think having the context of the previous two eps makes this one work better so in retrospect I feel a bit better about those previous eps now as well.

• Locked thread