Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

holttho
May 21, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

holttho
May 21, 2007

They mention it a bunch on the commentary as well: usually the sweetest jokes are the most unconnected to the plot and are thus the easiest to remove in favor of more ad time.

holttho
May 21, 2007

Analytic Engine posted:

missing Gigantic Asses

Gigantic Asses is out. Cheek Week is in!

holttho
May 21, 2007

Gat dang, this is the stuff that makes me wish that my friends and I were young enough to use twitter...

holttho
May 21, 2007

I didn't have my permission slip, but I still went on a feels trip .

:smith:

holttho
May 21, 2007

Don't forget about Wendell!

holttho
May 21, 2007

holttho
May 21, 2007

holttho
May 21, 2007

holttho
May 21, 2007

It's barrels all the way down

e: a shameful snipe

holttho
May 21, 2007

I love you... uhh... bottom text...

holttho
May 21, 2007

Quote-Unquote posted:

This is epic

It should be 'i love you doctor hibbert'

Ah! Le mot juste!

holttho
May 21, 2007

holttho
May 21, 2007

It'll certainly get taken down. What we are doing here is is clearly fair use as none of us are actively selling what we are doing. We're basically kids in an art class. What the site is doing is clearly outside of fair use as they are selling someone else's IP for profit. Recontextualized or not, it is still 100% Simpsons. Even if Disney and Fox weren't known for viciously protecting their merchandising rights, which they are, it would still get closed up quick.

Which is a shame, I would love to buy the Milpool socks for a friend, but their shipping window doesn't fill me with confidence.

holttho
May 21, 2007

GPTribefan posted:

Just a reminder that Harry Shearer was considered the older veteran comic... in the latter seasons of the original-cast Saturday Night Live.

Dude was a legend but just needs to stop at this point.

holttho
May 21, 2007

holttho
May 21, 2007

holttho
May 21, 2007

...I don't know what I'm doing...

holttho
May 21, 2007

e: wait! I want to add more!

holttho fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 26, 2020

holttho
May 21, 2007

holttho
May 21, 2007

If any of you are interested in the beginnings of the Simpsons, how it got started, what world existed that allowed it to flourish, and just how the show got made, I strongly recommended The Simpsons: An Uncensored, Unauthorized History by John Ortved. It is an exceptional read about the first decade of the show.

Tracy Ullman being super bitter about the Simpsons because she thought that they sabotaged her show; and not the fact that it was an overly-cerebral sketch show that America just didn't care about. It regularly had over an hour downtime between sketches because there was so much makeup, costumes, and set breakdown, that the audience on set would understandably get bored and wander off - and word got out quick the only reason to go was to see all the Simpsons shorts they fed to them between skits. Something that was true of the broadcast version of the show as well. Of course, she claimed it sabotaged her only after it was settled in court that no, she does not get any sort of money on the back end from the Simpsons.

James L Brooks slowly forcing Sam Simon out because the episode where Mr. Burns needs rare blood from Bart is a 1-to-1 retelling of what happened happened with Brooks' illness. (including the company memo from Smithers/Richard Sakai saying 'you should be so lucky to have your blood in someone so important')

Matt Groening being a writers room pariah because he would only barely participate in writing, layout, and general production of episodes, but would unapologetically take full credit for every step of the process in the hundreds of interviews he did, then fight to make sure no one but him got merchandising checks.

It's really good.

holttho
May 21, 2007

Android Apocalypse posted:

IMO Simon was the funnier one that helped drive the humor of the show over Brooks, but Brooks has been there for what feels like eternity that I suspect Simon would've slipped as well if he was on the show for as long.

Eh, it's kinda 'which paintbrush is responsible for the masterpiece' sort of thing. They all brought their voice to the show and with very few exceptions, no one wrote individual parts of the show. Simon was definitely the sharp one of the group, but we're only talking about it now because of Brooks' syrup and Groenings acid made something that stood the test of time. That, and the first three years writers room -even at the time- was known as a dream-team of writers. That then set the stage for the next few years because since the original group was the team everyone looked to and wanted to be on, the producers had their pick of the litter or writers for the golden age of Simpsons.

It was never really in question that the show would do well (certainly they couldn't have predicted to what extent, though), the only thing in question was whether or not Fox would be able to keep the lights on. They knew they had a hot property, and from top to bottom they put together the strongest team the world of TV could muster. Which is why the all the interviews went to Groening for interviews. "Long-time smart successful TV producers produce another successful smart TV show" is not an interesting headline. "Starving artist outsider cartoonist strikes it rich" sells so much better. And as it turned out, Groening drank a bit too much of his own Kool-aid that he made in the interviews and got too big for his own britches in the eyes of the writers and show runners. He fought constantly against the better judgment of the people who actually knew how to make the show citing his own interviews as his position of power and had to be constantly reminded that being a cartoonist does not a show-runner make.

holttho
May 21, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Poochie episode where they drop a college student into the Simpsons home as a jab against the execs

The execs literally wanted a new character who would "out-Bart Bart"

holttho
May 21, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also funny that while most audiences would assume they're a Tom and Jerry parody, apparently the crew have confirmed they're more specifically inspired by Herman and Katnip. (which to be fair is a ripoff of Tom and Jerry, most notable for being considerably more violent and over-the-top in a way that Itchy and Scratchy took even further)

They've definitely cited Herman and Katnip as the source; they talk about it pretty plainly on the early season DVD commentaries. They coupled that with some of the animation directors penchant for drawing super-gory cartoons in their younger days

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Me reading the past couple pages

holttho
May 21, 2007

Because one dummy in a test-screener said, "wait, who is Rainier Wolfcastle? Where did we meet him?"

Rainier Wolfcastle does appear in the Simpsons Movie; in the background of an angry crowd.

holttho
May 21, 2007

TheMostFrench posted:

I know you aren't mad but I thought these just worked well together.

holttho
May 21, 2007

holttho
May 21, 2007

SilvergunSuperman posted:

This was so bad I decided to check out your other offerings and good god...

Look I'm not complaining or anything, all content is good content, but I am marveling at your lack of humour, it's superhuman.

...I'll see myself out...

holttho
May 21, 2007

Gat dang!

holttho
May 21, 2007

holttho
May 21, 2007

holttho
May 21, 2007

I was gonna spend time doing a better job, but he doesn't deserve a better job.

holttho
May 21, 2007

holttho, you're not listening!

holttho
May 21, 2007

one last one and I'm done.

holttho
May 21, 2007

Wireposting?! I thought they shut that place down?

holttho
May 21, 2007

Sorry, the sleeve color was bugging me.

holttho
May 21, 2007

JezMM posted:

Very old out-of-context post but this made me laugh a lot - my friend linked me to this thread last month and over the past couple weeks I've steadily read through the entire thing, sending all of my favourites to my wife over discord so we could look through them (and lose our poo poo at them) together before going to sleep for the night. So, uh, yeah, the above literally for me.

Anyway now that I've reached the end, I felt compelled to make the two memes that I couldn't believe nobody beat me to:

-

You just mainlined 523 pages of pure gold?! You may be the strongest of them all.

also: :dudsmile:

holttho
May 21, 2007

Don't want this gold to be lost in a sea of gold.

Big :dudsmile:

holttho
May 21, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

holttho
May 21, 2007

This certainly got more than scattered boos