Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ilmucche posted:

There's an episode of the simpsons with a literal makeup shotgun?? Lowest points indeed.

That's the one where Homer attempts to be an inventor, inspired by Thomas Edison. (wow, that didn't age well. Or maybe it did, given it ends with Edison being accidentally credited for one of Homer's inventions)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Homer being straight-faced while being comically, dangerously terrible at tasks never gets old.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It was better when he became a moonshiner and acted like the explosions from his basement were his farts.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Phlegmish posted:

Found some Duff beer at a local Lidl, Simpsons font and everything:

No one gives a poo poo about the Simpsons now, but it must have been a clever marketing move at the time

Any idea what it's rebranded from?

Should be fitting given in-show Duff is generally portrayed to be extremely mediocre.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

What about Fudd beer?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Is there any good compilation of all the Simpsons dancing?

Weirdly enough between crumping with Marge and appearing on David Letterman I can think of at least two cases where Bart is half-heartedly sad dancing.

Come to think of it, Bart is probably depressed.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I can never keep any of these American talk show hosts straight. I know Conan is the big chin guy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Booourns posted:

I like the simple little things, like the crow cawwing whenever they show the plant

I always felt that to be somewhat ominous but more kind of pathetic.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

jyrque posted:

In several eastern bloc countries there was (is?) the zero budget approach to dubbing where a single actor would read out a translation for each of the lines present. Absolutely no acting involved and the track is played on top of the original track so the result is a terrible, unlistenable mess!

I'm starting to see the appeal of Worker and Parasite.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There were a shitload of celebrity guests as early as season 4. Though the difference is they were usually taking the piss out of themselves and/or up to something really weird in the early seasons, it's the later ones that got terrible about it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Mak0rz posted:

Johnny Cash is one of the best celebrity guests to appear in that series and he voiced a talking dog.

It's like with Star Trek, the best celebrity guests are the ones in the weirdest roles. Like Iggy Pop the Vorta.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

khwarezm posted:

Their use of Micheal Jackson was certainly very clever, but he did actually voice the character in the episode he just didn't do the singing for reasons I can't recall.

Contract issues, I think. Music labels being basically a mafia and all that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

One of my favourites I forgot about : https://youtu.be/-G_5kX4Mmpk

This kind of shenanigans is what school plays are for.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And it still fits in so well with the rest of the theme with Homer and Skinner's original odd couple shenanigans.

IIRC, that was already a pretty dense episode.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

One of my favourite Simpsons lines: https://youtu.be/2mAJIge48Qo

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Hehehehe. It's funny because it's true.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The fun part is that all this ridiculousness in the thread makes just as much sense as any given reason why the government thinks booting the Prime Minister is even worth it.

We haven't had a Prime Minister finish a full term since 2007. (possibly not coincidentally after the longest serving prime minister in Australian history finally got the boot)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The best classic Simpsons jokes are the ones that are total non sequiturs but incredibly true to life, like getting up in the middle of the night to eat cheese.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Lone Goat posted:

one that sticks with me is when Marge has nothing to do all day because the automatic house has obsoleted all her housekeeping duties and all she makes for dinner is boiled celery

And then starts drinking wine. But apparently less than the amount recommended by doctors.

Marge is such a basic bitch it kind of wraps around into amazing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I THINK the deal with the Rasta hat was basically what would come to known and mocked as 'cultural appropriation'?

One part that DID age hilariously well:
'Dude, are you being ironic?'
'I don't even know anymore.'

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

bitterandtwisted posted:

Aged hilariously badly from that episode:

There can only be one truly great music festival a lifetime and it's the "US Festival."
The what festival?
The "US Festival"! Geez! It was sponsored by the guy from Apple Computers.
What computers?

A lot of people nowadays would probably still be genuinely surprised that Apple makes computers.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I don't get this one.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That's true.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Simpsons' depictions of Asians has always been a bit... weird. But the 90s was like that a lot. Captain Planet of all things comes to mind as one of the only shows to depict Asians, Africans and South Americans as relatable people, if goofy teenagers.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

https://twitter.com/Alessandro_King/status/1037847807951032320

C-SPAM will be grateful.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Being not too familiar with American geography it's hilarious that the joke in retrospect is that the Canadian family are intending to drive literally from one corner of the USA to the other and then some until the dad ragequits.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Slightly on topic? https://simps-universe.tumblr.com/

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I just steal these wherever I see them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Context is for the weak.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

What episode is this from?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Krumping came from the dark seasons, but those roads still are best left for others to travel.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BizarroAzrael posted:

It's so weird seeing newer episodes where there are bits that are, if anything "over-animated", just so much movement and expression for just speaking. Normally on a character voiced by Kevin Michael Richardson.

From what I've heard of the newer episodes it seems like they're trying to over-correct some of the major complaints about the show, like lifeless animation and Homer being irredeemable.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The layout of the Simpsons house, and Springfield in general, is deliberately inconsistent. They've occasionally pointed it out within episodes.

I think they're supposed to be the precarious middle class, becoming ever more of an anachronism; Homer's job pays well presumably but they're bad with money on top of being unlucky, and the house is big but not as good as it looks, with thin walls and poor wiring and plumbing. (And in one of the future episodes, while every other house in the neighbourhood has fancy renovations, the Simpsons house... doesn't) Springfield is pretty consistently shown to be a crappy place to live and the Simpsons are not in one of the good neighbourhoods, with little public transport and a local government with a history of blowing money on boondoggles rather than basic amenities, and the public school is brutally underfunded with burnt-out staff.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Lizard Combatant posted:

Didn't grandpa pay the deposit by selling the house he built won on a crooked '50s game show?

And then they shipped him off to the old folks home three weeks later.

The whole Simpsons concept makes sense only considering Homer and Marge are meant to be boomers.

That said, Homer's treatment of Abe is put into more context considering almost every single flashback to his childhood is pretty much nonstop emotional abuse. Marge's childhood doesn't seem to be much better, given bullying from her sisters and her mother instilling strict gender roles that Moaning Lisa shows she realises are actively harmful.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jan 17, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It'd watch a gay horse dance to Love Deterrence.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That dog's expression.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

CommonShore posted:

Half formed thought

This is probably what Simpsons dreams look like.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

You could probably do something with Marge, the Flanders and the murder house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It is a work of beauty and you should feel pride.