Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Bumping this thread because I'm starting this series. My gameplan is to follow the read order for the first 40 volumes with stuff like cursed earth uncensored jammed in (case files 2 etc etc) which ends up in about 2000 publishing year wise.

Then I guess go in prog order from 2000-current. And if that doesn't kill me, I guess try and track down the megazine's where case files 32 will leave off...and then I guess the 2 dc versions, the strange fleetway version, and then the myriad of idw stuff including the 7 2012 movie version stories...

Jesus christ.

I'll post my progress every now and then until I give up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Here's my suggestion: don't do this

Seriously, reading it all in order will destroy you. I'm speaking from experience here, I'm working on reading all of the progs and the best decision I made was to abandon the "in order" part of my project. Find stories you want to read, or by important creators,and jump on there, and then jump back and rad other stuff and keep switching it up. From the beginning is a fools errand

How far are you in terms of prog number?

I find this whole thing super fascinating. You have a story that starts in 2099 and then moves in realtime while the character also ages in realtime to the point where he's 75 "now". Not to mention it's a fairly controlled continuity unlike most characters of the medium so it's a pretty solid overall serialized story considering that just spans an entire actual 41 years..It's pretty insane if you think about it. Plus starting from the get-go really shows just how different people had 0 grasp on what the tone of the thing should be yet..is it a celebration of facist violence as a fantasy as satire? is it a black comedy about the consequences of violence and facism? is a serious piece that serves as a warning of absolutism? (lets try all of it at once!)

I'm also kinda excited to get to the point where current well-known folks start popping up on the creative side. I can only imagine the sheer number of writers across every special, annual, prog et all..

I really don't mind the early awkwardness of it the first 7-8 years I guess..most of it being smaller "arcs" mean it's easy to just pick up randomly...