Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Payndz posted:

Apart from the dark times in the 90s, Wagner has written the majority of the strip for four decades.

My own Dredd read through (which I have been pacing myself with so I've been at it for a few years) has entered the 90's. I think I'm mid-91 at that moment and Wagner is still around but you're making me dread what's coming up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Also I don't think Case files collects the dead man which is bullshit

The problem with Dead Man is that not reading it in the context of 2000 AD as a magazine, the twist is ruined. When I read it I said, "Man, if I was a kid in the UK reading this in 1989 it would have blown my mind," but when you know that it's part of continuity and where it fits in, then you know what's happening. Dead Man is a decent enough story, it's just that the twist can't work after the fact.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

^burtle posted:

Welcome friend. As you can see from the Dredd threads, I took The Long Walk earlier this year. Have to echo what everyone has said, mainlining Case Files will probably burn you out. I made it to Necropolis (Case Files 14 I think) before I finally gave in and stopped and that was sprinkling in Anderson stories, the IDW books and various other stuff. My suggestion is to skim Wolk's Dredd Reckoning (http://dreddreviews.blogspot.com/) for each one, get a gist of the good stories or the relevant ones, read the big events and skim the one shots that don't go anywhere.

It's funny but Necropolis is a great jumping off point since years worth of stories built up to it and then once it's finished (and a few follow ups are complete) it's kind of hard to get back into the groove of yet another generic Dredd story. I'm probably going to inch along at the pace of a year every couple of months unless I hit a really amazing block of stories that pulls me forward. I'm told that there's a Dredd renaissance eventually so that will keep me going.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

SardonicTyrant posted:

They had a few of the Complete Case Files at my library, and I got so hooked I bought the ones they didn't have.

Anyone else notice Dredd becomes more of an rear end in a top hat after Apocalypse War and starts mellowing out in the events leading up to Necropolis?

I don't know about more of an rear end in a top hat about Apocalypse War, I think that was just leaning into what was becoming his standard characterization. On the other hand, his softening in the lead up to Necropolis was definitely part of an ongoing storyline.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

They try to give Dredd a catchphrase

er... Judge Dredd has a catch phrase. I don't recall the Stallone movie using anything other than "I am the law!" which Dredd had been throwing around since the 1970's.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Bertilak posted:

I had a question about the reading order for Judge Dredd stories that I can't seem to find an answer to. Are the stories found in the Megazine independent from the stories in 2000AD? If not, what would be the best way to read things? Since the Megazine is monthly to 2000AD's weekly, should I read 4 issues of 200AD, then that month's Megazine? Thank for your assistance.

Going from memory on how they collected, Megazine original stories are "in continuity" but without heavy overlap. I'm thinking of one arc where events in a Megazine story had consequences in a weekly story and these were separated by roughly six months. The "best" solution would be to complete an arc in one, then read the other to catch up to that point and go past it a ways. Don't worry too much about the fine details and just flip when you feel you're at a good point to.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

America is very short but also a brilliant summation of how hosed up Judge Dredd is.

Apocalypse War is a big epic story and also involves how hosed up Judge Dredd is but in a way that you cheer on.

America is legit great comics. Apocalypse war is entertaining comics.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I have complete case files 2-15 and I'm wondering if I should keep going. Part of my confusion is that I have the versions with cuts from the comics while there's the other version with neon colors. These are the same except for the cover, correct?

IIRC, 15 is Necropolis so, no, you do not need to keep going. :v: You're entering the dark age of Dredd and a lot of lovely stories. So if you're not enjoying yourself, stop now.

However...

There are good stories coming up and you can get most of them in [url=https://www.humblebundle.com/books/judge-dredd-perps-punks-partners-2000ad-books]the current Humble Bundle[/quote]. America and The Pit are the the best two Dredd stories of the 90's and both are in the bundle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

YoursTruly posted:

Thanks for the Humble Bundle recommendation. I've seen both movies and played some of the games, but it's probably about time I read some actual comics. I got the full package, hoping everything else is good too. I'm sure it's up thread somewhere, but for any other "start here" recommendations that follow this Bundle, I'm interested.

America is often recommended as a great introduction to Dredd. You also get case files 1-5 in the bundle and while you can start at the beginning, the first volume isn't really what I'd call essential. Volume 2 has the first two epic Dredd stories, Judge Cal in particular is great. Origins is a good story, but despite the title it's a bad place to start. Not Dredd but in the bundle, Halo Jones and Zenith are must reads.