Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Gonna hop on this since the other Dredd thread is closed.

Where do the Anderson, Psi Files fit in for the reading order of the Dredd Complete Case files? I saw somewhere say Psi Files 1 fits in after Complete Case 7, but I'm happy to trust a BSSer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

So almost 2 months later, I've powered through the first 14 Complete Case Files and 2 volumes of the Anderson stuff as well as a chunk of the IDW issues.

Is the Ennis stuff worth reading? I don't particularly care for the guy's other work, can I just blitz through to the few mega epics and keep going without missing anything? Any particularly good stories?

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

zer0spunk posted:

Bumping this thread because I'm starting this series. My gameplan is to follow the read order for the first 40 volumes with stuff like cursed earth uncensored jammed in (case files 2 etc etc) which ends up in about 2000 publishing year wise.

Then I guess go in prog order from 2000-current. And if that doesn't kill me, I guess try and track down the megazine's where case files 32 will leave off...and then I guess the 2 dc versions, the strange fleetway version, and then the myriad of idw stuff including the 7 2012 movie version stories...

Jesus christ.

I'll post my progress every now and then until I give up.

Welcome friend. As you can see from the Dredd threads, I took The Long Walk earlier this year. Have to echo what everyone has said, mainlining Case Files will probably burn you out. I made it to Necropolis (Case Files 14 I think) before I finally gave in and stopped and that was sprinkling in Anderson stories, the IDW books and various other stuff. My suggestion is to skim Wolk's Dredd Reckoning (http://dreddreviews.blogspot.com/) for each one, get a gist of the good stories or the relevant ones, read the big events and skim the one shots that don't go anywhere.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Isn't Ennis's big event just a rehashed Apocalypse War anyway.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

SardonicTyrant posted:

They had a few of the Complete Case Files at my library, and I got so hooked I bought the ones they didn't have.

Anyone else notice Dredd becomes more of an rear end in a top hat after Apocalypse War and starts mellowing out in the events leading up to Necropolis?

Apocalypse War is was a "If we're dying we're gonna gently caress these guys to death" level Dredd, but somewhere after, there is a series of shorts about a group trying to promote a more open Democracy that of course gets squashed by the Judges. It plays out over a couple of stories and years through the Surf Race with Chopper until Necropolis sets off.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Payndz posted:

The first story after Oz, 'Hitman', is credited to Wagner and Grant, but IIRC it's Wagner going solo. He doesn't waste any time setting out his stall, because it's the first time I can remember that Dredd is portrayed as vulnerable in a very human way (he spends two-thirds of the story hospitalised and weak after major trauma, expressing doubt in both himself and the whole system, and is clearly depressed)... yet despite this, he never for one moment is anything but himself. It's a small, understated, but actually quite important story as far as Dredd's character development goes, because it gets to develop.

I think that is one thing that gets lost in chowing down on these Case Files is how much time in reality passed between stories. I'm sure when Dredd took the long walk pre-Necropolis it was akin to Superman eating it that first time but it is hard to feel those stakes when you know there are 40 more volumes after it.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Hot take necropolis sucks

i'm not mad about this but curious as to the reasoning

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I feel like the Dredd mellow in part comes from them realizing the comic has legs so they needed to dial him back down from black and white tyrant to shades of grey do-gooder.

The other part is that slamming the Case Files really remove you from how much time actually passed in the world. The Democracy -> Necropolis period was like five years real time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I’d say we’re more in Necropolis right now with the government as the Dark Judges.