Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

from the way everything's depicted, I honestly figured this was a shojo series and the audience was supposed to have more in common with Akira than with Kondo; it really seems like the series is more horny for him than it is for her. that would have been basically fine? like, a little offputting, but Not Horrible. but then, the manga is apparently published in a seinen magazine that also runs Inio Asano's newest work and the anime's on noitaminA, which tells me it's actually being targeted at middle-aged men who fantasize about banging high schoolers, because... I kinda get the vibe the teen-girl audience for artsy seinen manga and late-night anime is not huge
You're free to feel however you want to about this manga, but trying to judge target audience based off the manga magazine its in and the time/block it airs in is an imprecise science at best. Houseki no Kuni is a manga with an incredibly female fanbase, mostly in late teens/early 20s, and it runs in the same magazine as Parasyte and Mysterious Girlfriend X and aired pretty late at night, though admittedly on a weekend. By strict definitions, Houseki no Kuni is an 'artsy seinen manga.' Seinen magazines are a little more gender neutral these days than they were in the 90s, just like how there are tons of women reading shonen manga magazines these days.

Admittedly, the magazine this series runs in is fairly male-focused even today, but that doesn't necessarily mean this series is laser-targeted at adult men or anything. And even among series that do seem much more laser-focused at men, like Vinland Saga (which also runs in the same magazine as Houseki, coincidentally), they can attract fairly large female fanbases for a variety of reasons. And of the series currently running in the same magazine as this series, there's Asahinagu, a series about a girl's naginata club that has a stage play and a live action film. Those things are very common for things popular with women or that they see as having a big appeal with women, but are much less common for things that appeal to men. A ton of josei manga get them, not to mention shonen manga that are popular with women, like prince of tennis or fullmetal alchemist. I skimmed a couple of chapters just now, and I didn't see anything about it that'd turn women off. So it's safe to say there's at least one other series in the same magazine with a fairly female lean in terms of demographic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread