Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

AnacondaHL posted:

That applies to the manga though. When it comes to an anime adaptation, not everything is exactly 1:1. (e.g., Jun Ito collection, etc.).

I watched the first 3 eps of this and certainly could feel how it tried to be, but felt the execution was off by enough to drop. And I'm not talking the sparkly good animation, I'm talking pure characterization and storyboarding. Even knowing what is 'supposed' to happen from the series synopsis, it needed almost perfect execution to overcome the inherent problematic premise, and was close but did not succeed. Minor details like the shirt sniffing scene or the handling of her love confession were just not done well enough.

Also for the record, my wife got triggered AF watching this with me. I tried and explained everything, including the spoiled synopsis and everything above about separating concept vs execution, to get her at least through 3 episodes, but her tightrope expectations for the show were even more stringent than mine and she ultimately came to the same conclusion.

tl;dr: your manga might be good, but this anime has done just enough wrong (doesn't matter if its the source material or the adaptation) to warrant a failed 3 ep test.

I agree with everything here.

I've been reading the manga, and the comment section where 40/50 year old people start posting their own IRL experiences/"success stories" about dating 18 year old's makes me want to choke people. There's the concept vs execution issue, but let's also throw in the issue of separation of fiction vs reality. This story doesn't do enough to say 'hey, a 45 year old shouldn't be dating a 17 year old because that would be gross tbh', and I consider that a flaw against the author.

Seeing the shirt-sniffing scene and the amount of butt/panty shots of the 17 year old tells me this isn't the purely heart-warming tale of growing up that other's are making it out to be. I'm only reminded of an old travel log by an English teacher who was talking with some Japanese folks who said that 17 years old was the most beautiful that "women" would get.

VVV I lay it at feet of the author because my second paragraph implies that Japan in general considers 17 year old's as highly desirable, even among grown as adults, and the author is unfortunately no different. I consider this story dabbling into their lust, but with the addition of real-world consideration, complications, and angst tempering it out into something that people believe is a 100% wholesome and pure-hearted coming-of-age/puppy love thing. Which I find pretty bullshit with every leering panel of the 17 year old's body. Kissmanga.com is where I'm reading those pedo posts, and people asking themselves if they would do the same if they were in Manager's shoes (the answer is yes, they would).

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread