Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I'm still iffy on the age gap but it's definitely a good show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Got around to the second episode. Tachibana is too adorable and Kongo is too much of a goofball to hate anything about this show. It's sort of like Ancient Magus Bride where the premise keeps you questioning it even though there isn't much to complain about in the end.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

That applies to the manga though. When it comes to an anime adaptation, not everything is exactly 1:1. (e.g., Jun Ito collection, etc.).

I watched the first 3 eps of this and certainly could feel how it tried to be, but felt the execution was off by enough to drop. And I'm not talking the sparkly good animation, I'm talking pure characterization and storyboarding. Even knowing what is 'supposed' to happen from the series synopsis, it needed almost perfect execution to overcome the inherent problematic premise, and was close but did not succeed. Minor details like the shirt sniffing scene or the handling of her love confession were just not done well enough.

Also for the record, my wife got triggered AF watching this with me. I tried and explained everything, including the spoiled synopsis and everything above about separating concept vs execution, to get her at least through 3 episodes, but her tightrope expectations for the show were even more stringent than mine and she ultimately came to the same conclusion.

tl;dr: your manga might be good, but this anime has done just enough wrong (doesn't matter if its the source material or the adaptation) to warrant a failed 3 ep test.

I don't understand this post because I think the direction in this show is fantastic. I love the pacing and presentation a lot. I don't have the manga for context in my case so maybe this is a matter of differing expectations.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

The pacing (how fast does the story move) and presentation (how visually good does the final product look) are fine, I said the storyboarding (how shots are composed towards the overall theme) and characterization (how the characters are portrayed nonvisually) were the issues.

I feel like we're talking to-may-to, to-mah-to here for the most part. What issues do you have with the characterization?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Both of them are, really. Kondo is is such a lovable, friendly dude that could probably make anyone feel better about life. Tachibaba met him at the lowest point of her life and her raging teen puberty got directed towards him. I can see that.

I'm not saying that it isn't unhealthy. But it is utterly adorable and I want the best for the two of them even if they don't get together.

• Locked thread