Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lol.visiting my family in hargeisa in a few mths, lets see how it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

There was a lot of ways to get alcohol when I grew up in the UAE. You just had to know someone/foreigners. Doubt that it's much different in SA.

E: Tehran has a notorious party scene.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

PawParole posted:

Technically Somalia is either 98 or 85 Somali depending on who you ask. 98 percent Somali is if you go by Somali speaking like other countries, 85 percent is if you go by traditional Somali laws which state that you have to be descended from the guy named Somali, which no one does outside of “Somalilanders” so they can claim they’re more racially pure than what they call “Somalians”.

For my particular family and clan in Somaliland we trace it back to Isaaq who supposedly immigrated from Yemen 13 generations ago. Kinda doubt the historicity tho lol.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lmao Somali stories are wild man

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Would DNA services like 23andme be problematic there?

They were paying money for it for awhile

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Weka posted:

What is so implausible about the story of Isaaq? Just that all Isaaq people are descended from one dude?

I suppose. He's a pretty famous sheik from Yemen and there have been various kingdoms and sultanates originating from Somaliland that claimed direct descendent from him. Probably true enough considering how genealogy works (i.e. 12 percent of people on Earth being descended from Genghas Khan). The questionable aspect is what it is used to justify, sort of like what PawPatrol was talking about his family myth and being CEOs.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I was in Ethiopia 2008-2010 and even then you had random people coming up to you telling you to cool it with saying political things out loud. My heart goes out them, it's a fantastic country and people

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Votskomit posted:

Blade Nzimande

The coolest name I've ever seen

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

PawParole posted:

In-depth Analysis – Amhara region crisis: The weight of a crumbling core

This rising sentiment has also ignited a tide of a new form of Amhara nationalism in the expression of the desire for secession among many political activists, unheard in the history of Ethiopia.

https://addisstandard.com/in-depth-analysis-amhara-region-crisis-the-weight-of-a-crumbling-core/

------------------------------------------

DRIVERS OF CONFLICT IN THE AMHARA REGION
The conflicts in the Amhara region can be categorized into inter- and intra-regional conflicts. Their drivers vary and can be multi-layered and interlinked: inter-Amhara conflicts, for example, are linked to intra-regional conflicts or their drivers.

Competing Identity-Based Movements
The Amhara region, like other regions in Ethiopia, has experienced conflicts driven by competing identity-based movements. Ethnic and religious aspirations have played a significant role in driving tensions and conflicts, as different groups such as the Agew, Qimant, and Oromo living in Oromo Special Zone of the Amhara region seek recognition, representation, and autonomy. Moreover, the lack of representation and massacres that the Amharas living outside the Amhara region have often faced has also contributed to political resentment across the region.

Territorial Disputes
At times related to contentious identity-based movements, but a key driver in its own right, is territorial disputes. Land and resource ownership and allocation have been contentious issues in the Amhara region. Disputes over territories and boundaries have sparked conflicts, with various groups vying for control and asserting their claims. The question of territory also applies to the Wolqayt-T(s)egede conflict where Amhara and Tigray identities are at loggerheads. Similarily, the Ethio-Sudan border skirmishes are another instance of territory-driven conflict

Political Power Realignment
Competing national and ethnic aspirations often interact with continuities and change in the Ethiopian state, where ethnic groups are demanding more representation centrally at the same time as seeking autonomy within their region. For example, Amhara nationalists believe they are being sidelined from central power and also feel their autonomy within the region is being eroded. They believe the PP is dominated by Oromo political elites who want to impose their will, including in the Amhara region. Marginalization of Amhara representatives from peace processes, such as with the TPLF and the Oromo Liberation Army (OLA), has created grievances and tensions. A related factor is the quest for a new political settlement in, and redefinition of, the Ethiopian state. The remaking of Ethiopia’s social contract is portrayed as reducing the north’s cultural and political dominance and giving the so-called ‘Greater South’ more representation. Lastly, power struggles at the regional level are another factor driving conflicts on the ground. Fragmentation among fighting parties is linked to the power struggle between the different provincialized identities within the Amhara region.

Still getting used to the idea of Oromo power elites. Amhara and Tigray dominated the country so much when I lived there 15 yrs ago. Things have really changed.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

That Masaai article is sickening. Finishing the job that the British started.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Orange Devil posted:

Seems pretty unprecedented that countries are actually managing to get rid of US bases and troops. For 70 years it's been the case that once these parasites get in, you can never, ever get them out. And now after Afghanistan, the Sahel is leading the way.

well i believe these african bases were set up (100 million alone in Niger, lol good use of money there) after 9/11, so its been 20 years, but still, a good development.

e: actually based on wiki the 100 million dollar base was set up on april 2016. Thx Obama.

Shageletic has issued a correction as of 13:36 on Apr 26, 2024

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

America foreign policy: dropping loot boxes around the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lol that that reporter is talking about Europe and America being democracies. Esp in regards to their foreign policy, their populations actual positions are ignored in favor of an unelected imperialist bureaucracy and military