Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Well historically they really were, modern reputation as zipgun copycats aside. Kipling might have shat on "ten rupee Jezails" but they were good rifles, primitive reloading mechanism aside.

If you're referring to Arithmetic on the Frontier he's doing the opposite of making GBS threads on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
A refinery of theirs also burnt.

https://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-...0I8-kxte_PV5jbM

Weka
May 5, 2019

The SU-27s are fighters and only able to be equipped with dumb bombs, atleast according to the following article. Seem like bombing with them is only likely to be useful for disruption and of course encouraging home front unity in Tigray.

https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2021/...AIKYHjapn04IKqA

Weka
May 5, 2019

FWIW the NED quadrupled their investment into Burkina Faso from 2018 to 2020, the only years I could easily find data for. Only a quarter million, but 450k of that was to NDI, a similar organization that a takes money from state department and USAID so may have had more.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Lord of Pie posted:

we can't even pick our own government lmao

I think they want the cia to pick.

Weka
May 5, 2019

AnimeIsTrash posted:

when did Pakistan become part of the Middle East lol

Around 500 BC.

Weka
May 5, 2019

So Saudi Arabia has recently
Looked at selling oil in yuan.
Declared a ceasefire in Yemen.
Started mending ties with Turkey.

That's a fair bit of change.

Weka
May 5, 2019

I thought I'd check in with the Yemen blockade what with the ceasefire and all and while the Combined Maritime Forces website is for some reason set to private, I did learn that shortly before the ceasefire a new taskforce was created specifically for the Red Sea and Gulf of Oman. So it looks to me like the plan is less embarrassing direct war and more trying to starve the Houthis out.

https://www.defensenews.com/opinion...ies-are-needed/

Weka
May 5, 2019

Jose posted:

if only they'd been successful in the UK all those years ago...

Eh, if there's an organization friendlier to pedophiles than the British government it's the catholic church.

Weka
May 5, 2019

bedpan posted:

I have no idea what he could give them that would be even remotely useful. Uranium enrichment and bomb designed are already well established theoretically and US congress has even released lots of documentation. The stumbling block for every single nation pursuing nuclear weapons or nuclear power is in organizing all the domestic industries to produce the various materials and setup the enrichment facilities and bomb factories.

I thought it was aluminium tubes?

Weka
May 5, 2019

This Rushdie stuff helped me learn that Khamenei issued a fatwa against nukes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali_Khamenei%27s_fatwa_against_nuclear_weapons

Weka
May 5, 2019

Wow, I'm impressed that Pompeo has decided to encourage the democrats to be on better terms with Iran.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Is there a source outside of the Saudis for the death of Mahsa Amini being violent?
My wild guess hot take is this is an Israeli and Saudi pot stirring job to gently caress with JCPOA.

Death By The Blues posted:

These are the official "turnout" numbers in 2021. People loving hate them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_Iranian_presidential_election

That's like 10% less than a typical presidential election in the USA.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Obviously if just releasing a story about a woman being beaten to death in police custody is enough to spark this sort of thing there's broader issues but afaik it was the spark to the protests and the sole source of it is a Saudi owned media outlet targeted at Iranians citing "hacktivists".

Weka
May 5, 2019

Thanks.

Weka
May 5, 2019

The sand in concrete is just used as an aggregate, a solid something for the cement to bind together, so it's not too important what exactly it is. The cement is made from clay, limestone and gypsum usually, all of which are pretty common.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Some Guy TT posted:

bari weiss has a daughter?

Doesn't seem to from a quick search.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Mr. Lobe posted:

You can support an oppressed group fighting for their own emancipation from oppression without arguing for foreign intervention, you know. Or what, do you think the uppity city women need to sit down, shut up, and wear the veil?

How can we, a bunch of foreigners, materially support them without foreign intervention?

Mans posted:

I was born and raised in America but i lived in Iran for a year lol

she's probably in therapy for ten years because she's born and raised in America. It's either a lifetime of pills or shooting a school.

How was living there? I've always wanted to visit.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Don't you worry that moral support is useful as part of the consent manufacturing apparatus while having no real benefit to Iranians?

i say swears online posted:

as long as there's a mcdonald's, that sounds fine

Mashdonalds?

Weka
May 5, 2019

Mr Lobe, I think this video makes my point better than I can.

https://twitter.com/SameeraKhan/status/1578268861060640768

Weka
May 5, 2019

indigi posted:

personally I hope there's a bloodless Marxist revolution in Iran today but I’m not holding my breath

Wouldn't this effectively be a USA backed colour revolution?

Weka
May 5, 2019

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

thing is, the U.S. being on the backfoot and engaging in a (at least tactical pullback) from the middle east and toward the pacific makes it harder for the islamic republic to justify unpopular, socially repressive policies. sameera khan is trying to hold onto an increasingly obsolete paradigm but from the other direction

I'm not endorsing Khan's position it was just an easy way to post the AOC video.

MEK me.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Centcom still has 40-60,000 American troops plus allied forces afaik and it's number one objective per it's website is to deter Iran. They've got three proxy conflicts on the go right now.

Weka
May 5, 2019

https://twitter.com/VikSoho/status/1579728561115914241

Weka
May 5, 2019

i say swears online posted:

the d&d thread immediately lept to conjecture that the government set that prison on fire to burn everyone in it alive in order to cover up Crimes, as they're on the back foot and about to collapse

An Iranian born NZ MP who has been tweeting MEK posts did the same thing so I guess it's the narrative being pushed.

Weka
May 5, 2019

This seems like wonderful news, especially if they mean that stuff about reconciliation.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Those look driveable.

Weka
May 5, 2019

lobster shirt posted:

lindsay snell had a pretty good if harrowing interview on radio war nerd talking about getting kidnapped/imprisoned by al-nusra, escaping into turkey, and then getting arrested by turkish authorities on suspicion of being a CIA agent

Escaping, or being allowed to, from Al Nusra would be circumstantial evidence of being a CIA agent.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Everyone without a sufficient bribe I'm presuming.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Is that a kangal puppy?

Weka
May 5, 2019

Why does Greece get like half of western Armenia (the revanchist claim not western actual Armenia)?

Weka
May 5, 2019

Afghanistan is rightful Helenic clay!

Weka
May 5, 2019

Were they mostly other Christian denominations?

Weka
May 5, 2019

That photo of the woman in the water holding the sign is from 2018. She's a Turkish academic & performance artist working in Germany

https://www.isilegrikavuk.work/butyoudont

"Dr. Işıl Eğrikavuk is a Turkish-born international performance artist and academic based in Berlin, Germany. She received her MFA from The School of the Art Institute of Chicago (SAIC) and a Ph.D. in Communication from Istanbul Bilgi University, Istanbul, Turkey. Eğrikavuk lives in Berlin and works as a faculty member at Berlin University of Arts (UdK), Media and Communication Department since 2017."

Weka
May 5, 2019

If we don't get rid of Assad how will we create ISIS 2?

Weka
May 5, 2019

I looked up Black Girl Magic and it's a brand, so no surprise it's being promoted by a yankee diplomat.

Weka
May 5, 2019

This rules thank you.

Moderated by AiT presumably.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

a video of a fat goon visiting a few Zambian schools and buying lunch for everyone

If you do have photos of these messed up roads I would be genuinely interested in seeing them.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Our collective action in blockading half the country has made a tremendous difference by causing a famine.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Tankbuster posted:

they are going to be part of Neom's HR

Managing the staffing of 10 workmen and 1000 fail sons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

Neurolimal posted:

Ned Price remains the most loathsome worm in the administration

He's like a walking collection of Onion articles.