Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I literally thought that was a mattress on its side

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Cool! Looks kind of like mokume-gane.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I literally thought that was a mattress on its side

I spent a good minute trying to figure out how that imprint got the couch arm.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
I have a whetstone from my straight razor days. I figured I should give sharpening my own knife a shot. It's a standard Victorinox that I've had for a decade, only used pull-through sharpener on it, never got it sharpened by someone who knows what they're doing...so I figure I can't make it any worse by following a youtube video.

But I need to start using a honing steel. I found one at a thrift store for $4 that I didn't really like (too short and kinda heavy).

And I found one on Amazon for basically the same price that looks better already:

https://www.amazon.com/Sharpener-Pr...en%2C176&sr=1-7

Should I just grab this cheapo on Amazon or is there something I'm overlooking?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

A honing rod needs to be harder than your knives, probably not difficult with a victorinox, but I did not see an advertised hardness of the rod on that page.

Reviews also say it's small and length is appreciated for a good stroke.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

A honing rod needs to be harder than your knives, probably not difficult with a victorinox, but I did not see an advertised hardness of the rod on that page.

Reviews also say it's small and length is appreciated for a good stroke.

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010
What you want is a Dick.

Friedr Dick 10" Round Steel Sharpener, Polished Red Handle https://a.co/d/5RmSUBw

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
That'll go great with crankin' my Unicorn Mills 9-inch Magnum

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I finished this matching set about two months ago and it just went up for sale at Seattle Edge

blades are made from Baker Forge & Tool Sunset GoMai, handles are African blackwood, copper, and stabilized amboyna burl

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Just gorgeous.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Nice knives.

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai
I didn't know we had blacksmiths.

Can you post more of your work?

It looks amazing.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Shouldn’t we just get ceramic honing rods to cover all bases

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Steve Yun posted:

Shouldn’t we just get ceramic honing rods to cover all bases

That's what I do, but one downside to ceramic rods is that they are fragile and will break if you drop them. If you never plan to have any harder-steel knives, you could get a steel hone and not have to worry about that. But yes, a ceramic hone will do the trick on all knives.

EDIT:

I still haven't pulled the trigger on a knife sharpener. I'm thinking about it again now because family is asking me for gift ideas. The Ken Onion still seems great but I still don't know if the convex grind is undesirable for a kitchen knife; I also have some other weirdo safety questions about it that are probably non-issues. The Wicked Edge still seems nice but is also still like $400.

Interestingly, WorkSharp is, right now, introducing a rolling knife sharpener similar to the Horl that is super trendy. The Horl seems overpriced for what it is, at something like $190; there is also a knockoff called Tumbler that apparently sucks a lot more but does great marketing through social media, so they're getting lots of attention, and is half the price. The WorkSharp one is not cheap at around $150, but it solves some of the design problems with the Horl. Most notably, the Horl has a magnetic guide that allows a 15- or 20-degree angle, but no other options; the WorkSharp version has both of those but also has 17- and 25-degree guides. Additionally, instead of literally being a cylinder that rolls, it has a flat bottom with wheels, which seems to be like it would be easier to use. Finally, the WorkSharp abrasive discs have some notable differences: a. they actually specify the grits -- 320 and 600, plus a ceramic one -- whereas the Horl abrasives are just "coarse" or "fine"; b. there are three instead of two; and c. they attach magnetically to the surface instead of replacing the whole surface. There is also a storage case to hold all this stuff. I would like to have higher-grit options, but I am guessing they will be offered soon. (They don't have replacement discs for sale yet even for the included discs, but that has got to be coming, they sell replacements for all their other stuff.)

The fact that you are still limited to pre-defined angles is not ideal -- one of the things I like about the Ken Onion is that you can adjust in 1-degree increments. On the other hand, 15-, 17-, and 20-degree angles encompass the vast majority of what I will ever need as a casual user. My wife's Wusthof currently recommends 14 degrees, but weirdly they changed their recommendation from 20 degrees to that, and frankly if I re-set a 15 degree angle instead I cannot imagine that will be a problem or even noticeable. My other knives should be fine at 15 or, in the case of the Victorinoxes, 20 degrees.

The price for the rolling sharpener is comparable to the Ken Onion. No question the Ken Onion is more versatile, since you can dial in exact angles as needed, or even freehand it. On the other hand, I'm very attracted to the ease of use of the rolling sharpener, and after all this time trying and failing to find a system that works for me, the idea of something that is nearly impossible to mess up is extremely attractive, and the rolling sharpener should, I believe, set a flat grind. In contrast, while the speed of the motorized Ken Onion is appealing, you can mess up your knives real quick on a powered sharpener.

Any thoughts? I know the rolling sharpeners kind of seem like a gimmick, but I think I might be exactly the right audience for it.

guppy fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 16, 2023

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010
Have you considered the Spyderco Sharpmaker? It works well enough and is only around a hundred bucks.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

oh rly posted:

I didn't know we had blacksmiths.

Can you post more of your work?

It looks amazing.

I've posted things occasionally in this thread. I've only been doing this a few years so you'll see some of my skill development.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Eccles posted:

Have you considered the Spyderco Sharpmaker? It works well enough and is only around a hundred bucks.

Yes -- I own one and I hate it. I've posted about this earlier in the thread, but while the Sharpmaker guarantees the angle will be right if you hold the knife vertical, there is nothing to enforce your holding the knife vertical. I have tried to use it and have not been happy with the results. This problem is not unique to the Sharpmaker. In contrast, the KO has an angle guide, so you just have to hold the knife against it, and the angle will be consistent. The nature of the rolling sharpener and of the Wicked Edge system produces the same effect.

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010
Yes, when I first got my Sharpmaker I struggled with keeping the knife perpendicular to the table top. I even tried using a drafting triangle as a guide, but found that to be a bit clumsy. Eventually I just stopped caring about angles being perfect and accepted that good enough was good enough. Best of luck on your quest.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I don't think it's important whether my angle is at 14 degrees or 15 degrees or 16 degrees. I do think it's important that whatever the angle is, my strokes be consistently at that angle. I could never get that to happen, hence my extended search for something that would guarantee consistency. I could never get my knives sharp on it, so whatever else one might say about the system, I did not myself get good results on it. I have intermittently done okay freehanding on various types of bench stone, but I'm not consistent there either, so I'm always afraid to sharpen my good knives on them. That's why I'm always so interested in systems that might work better for me.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Edge Pro can guarantee angles, but it’s pricey

https://www.amazon.com/Edge-Pro-Ape...a4-dc28e6d374b3

I got a knockoff that was $35, works great

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I am a clutz of significant magnitude, and the Edge Pro still lets me get my knives sharp.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Gimme your recs for a cheap chinese vegetable cleaver.

I've got a good heavy german cleaver of some kind but while sharp its not great for veggies and after watching people use these for chef knife kind of work I wanted to give it a go with a cheaper one to see if it's for me or not.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

That Works posted:

Gimme your recs for a cheap chinese vegetable cleaver.

I've got a good heavy german cleaver of some kind but while sharp its not great for veggies and after watching people use these for chef knife kind of work I wanted to give it a go with a cheaper one to see if it's for me or not.

guppy posted:

This has come up a few times, but the increase in price for the CCK small cleaver is really just Chefknivestogo upping the price, the manufacturer hasn't (or hadn't, anyway) really raised prices much. Back on page 1, Chef de Cuisinart said you could buy any of the recognizable brands like Dexter-Russell or Victorinox and you'd be fine. SubG recommended Shibazi/SBZ. I have a CCK and it's great, but they aren't magic.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I'm trying to decide between one of the 'stone on a stick' (probably the Lansky), the Ken Onion mini belt sander, or I suppose that new Worksharp roller guy.

The biggest thing for me are:
A) I need something that holds the angle, I'm never going to be good at holding a steady angle on stuff, it just won't work for me.
B) I have a couple really long slicers (like 12-14") for BBQ, and the stone-on-a-stick types seem really awkward for that due to constantly unclamping and moving the clamp, possibly 3-4 times if you mostly want to use it perpendicular to the blade.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
All the reviews I’ve seen of rollers is that they’re mediocre. I haven’t seen a review of the WorkSharp but I don’t have high hopes based on reviews of similar ones

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Rescue Toaster posted:

I'm trying to decide between one of the 'stone on a stick' (probably the Lansky), the Ken Onion mini belt sander, or I suppose that new Worksharp roller guy.

The biggest thing for me are:
A) I need something that holds the angle, I'm never going to be good at holding a steady angle on stuff, it just won't work for me.
B) I have a couple really long slicers (like 12-14") for BBQ, and the stone-on-a-stick types seem really awkward for that due to constantly unclamping and moving the clamp, possibly 3-4 times if you mostly want to use it perpendicular to the blade.

So, I have the WorkSharp roller. It seems fine and about the easiest thing you can do and won't mess up your knife. It does take some time. The main downside for your use case is the very long knives -- even on more "normal" blade lengths like 8", I have to be careful and provide some resistance as I get away from the magnet so that I'm not bending the blade.

The Ken Onion seems super nice, and fast, but I didn't go with it because the nature of a belt grinder is to produce a convex (not flat) grind, and I wasn't sure if that would be bad. I am also not sure if it is going to throw up a bunch of metal shavings in the air and if that's a safety concern. Depending on the hardness of the steel, it may also throw sparks, which a WorkSharp customer service guy assured me wasn't a concern. Also, they go to some lengths to emphasize this, but do not bring your tip all the way back or you will round your tip.

The Lansky system seems okay but I wouldn't buy it for two reasons. One is that the pre-set angles do not go below 17 degrees and I want a 15-degree angle. The other is that the horizontally oriented systems seem to all have a design issue where the height of the blade affects the angle. We discussed this a few pages ago when I was asking similar questions. In my head I don't think the vertically oriented systems like Wicked Edge have that problem, but I'm also an idiot so who knows.

I would have gone for Wicked Edge but the price is just too much for me to stomach at the moment. If I eventually decide I don't like the roller, I would buy one of those.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

My brother in law snapped off the tip of my shun premier. I have so many knives, whyyyyy did you pick that one for teasing apart rotisserie chicken dude. Normally I don't care if people ruin my stuff cause it's all cheap low end stuff. My shun was a gift from the only other person who cooks in my family. I used it for every meal and cleaned immediatly after every use. This thing was over 5 years old and _pristine_. I'm so owned r/n :'(

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Oh, one more caveat about the Work Sharp rolly sharpener: it is not super great for knives that have short blades (in height, not length). My Victorinox paring knives are harder to sharpen on it than they should be because, even with the little "ledge," the edge is below the top lip if you don't hike it up. Still doable, just harder.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Feral Integral posted:

My brother in law snapped off the tip of my shun premier. I have so many knives, whyyyyy did you pick that one for teasing apart rotisserie chicken dude. Normally I don't care if people ruin my stuff cause it's all cheap low end stuff. My shun was a gift from the only other person who cooks in my family. I used it for every meal and cleaned immediatly after every use. This thing was over 5 years old and _pristine_. I'm so owned r/n :'(

Shuns are known for this, mine lost its tip years ago. I fixed it with my Work Sharp belt sander thingy.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

guppy posted:

The Ken Onion seems super nice, and fast, but I didn't go with it because the nature of a belt grinder is to produce a convex (not flat) grind, and I wasn't sure if that would be bad.

Convex grinds are supposed to be better than flat I thought. There’s more material backing up the cutting edge.

I use an Apex Edgepro so my knives are flat.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Chemmy posted:

Convex grinds are supposed to be better than flat I thought. There’s more material backing up the cutting edge.

I use an Apex Edgepro so my knives are flat.

It's a trade-off, I think. Convex grinds are more durable. I would think that having a wider body would increase contact, and therefore friction, and make it harder to cut. Is it noticeable? No idea, probably not. But I asked in here a few times and got no answers, so I got spooked.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Yeah it's just that they are more durable, not that they cut better.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

bird with big dick posted:

Shuns are known for this, mine lost its tip years ago. I fixed it with my Work Sharp belt sander thingy.

I don’t know if VG-MAX is better but VG-10 blades chip if you look at them wrong

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

hypnophant posted:

I don’t know if VG-MAX is better but VG-10 blades chip if you look at them wrong

I've not had that experience with VG10, much more forgiving than Aogami/Shirogami.

Left to right - Shirogami No.1 240mm, Kanetsune VG10 165mm, Tsunehisa SK5 150mm, Tsunehisa 135mm Aogami Super w/ stainless cladding.

The Shirogami had the tip snap off with very light pressure while cleaning it, the VG10 is 16 years old and has never really chipped.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

It’s knife sharpness day

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Is the scale included because it says sharp?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

bird with big dick posted:

It’s knife sharpness day

Please post your best scores on the scale

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Is the scale included because it says sharp?

That's a sharpness tester; you can use it to do test cuts (basically measuring the force required to cut through a very thin piece of calibrated material), and that's one measurement of how easily the blade cuts.

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 18, 2023

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Steve Yun posted:

Please post your best scores on the scale

Best all time is 66 and 72 on a Yoshikane 240mm gyuto SKD12/A2 tool steel but it took 3000 grit diamond stone and then 3 micron and 1 micron film.

Today I'm just doing some quick touch ups for turkey day so shooting for like high 100s or low 200s should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.
How are you able to sharpen Japanese knives with that? Aren't they all 9-12 degrees per side? Looks like the minimum there is fifteen.