Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twotimer
Jul 19, 2013

what the hell kind of detergent are you guys using thats abrasive?
pretty much every kitchen i have worked in uses a caustic solution in the dishwasher that isnt abrasive in the slightest. granted, its not something i would use on my knife (it doubles as grill stripper), but its not abrasive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twotimer
Jul 19, 2013

glynnenstein posted:

Pretty much every automatic dishwasher detergent for home use is abrasive.

ah. of course! i have never had a dishwasher at home, so i didnt even think of that.

twotimer
Jul 19, 2013

signalnoise posted:

I think I realized the other day that I owe it to myself to try a Global knife, and that there's a strong possibility that I might be a Global person. I was talking knives with someone and I mentioned that of the knives I have, my favorite one is this thing, the "zwilling pro rocking santoku"

Aside from the general shape of the knife, which is neat, I just really dig the area around the bolster. I don't really care about what style the rest of the handle takes though, I just care about the area around the pinch grip. And whattayaknow, Global has this to compare it to, and not that I'd spend money on replacing it instead of getting something to handle other jobs, it's a nice direct comparison

I guess it's kinda funny, when I was first getting interested in cooking, Global knives stuck out as really cool looking but also really expensive, and now that I know more they seem more like a relatively inexpensive, sorta mid-high consumer grade brand with a gimmicky aesthetic and softer metal that happens to maybe fit my hand. Then again, I'm a relatively inexpensive, sorta mid-grade kind of consumer when it comes to this stuff, so whatever. Is there anything in particular I should know about these knives? Maybe some stuff that would make me reconsider the purchase, or some applications where that kind of grip is better or worse? For instance, I don't see any particular benefit to this in a paring knife.

while i have never owned a global, i have used plenty of them in the kitchen. cant say i am a big fan.
* they are super light. too light imo.
* they are so thin that they actually bite through that callous at the base of the index finger, so they are uncomfortable to use.
* they look like rear end after a few months of use.

all that being said, i do like the santuko blade design, so i have found happiness with the german-made santukos. i like the heavier/thicker construction paired to the quickness and usability of the japanese shape.
im not super knowledgeable on japanese knives, but i know enough that if i were in the market for something like that, i wouldnt even consider global.