Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is Trigger's best previous anime
Kill La Kill
When Supernatural Battles become commenplace
Kiznaiver
Little Witch Academia
Gurren Lagann*
Panty and Stocking*
Space Patrol Luluculo
Goku
View Results

• Locked thread
Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

NotALizardman posted:

I love this robot.

That's just a gunlance from Monster Hunter and it is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I find it interesting how it's not only the children, two out of three adults also have numbers as names, with Dr. Franxx being the only exception.

I get the children aren't given names because they're ultimately little more than weapons for society and they're even encouraged to pursue a glorious death in battle, but the adults following the same naming scheme is interesting. Of course, their names may just be Nana and Hachi, but that's kind of hard to believe when the children have "names" only because apparently they had a bit more humanity than they probably should if their only reason to live is dying against mecha dinosaurs and so they named themselves (or Hiro named everyone, which seems to be the case considering what Naomi said).

Is there any pun I'm missing in Klaxosaur, by the way? The Japanese just sounded like kyouryuu, dinosaur, to me, but I'm guessing that unique name isn't based on nothing.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

I find it interesting how it's not only the children, two out of three adults also have numbers as names, with Dr. Franxx being the only exception.

I get the children aren't given names because they're ultimately little more than weapons for society and they're even encouraged to pursue a glorious death in battle, but the adults following the same naming scheme is interesting. Of course, their names may just be Nana and Hachi, but that's kind of hard to believe when the children have "names" only because apparently they had a bit more humanity than they probably should if their only reason to live is dying against mecha dinosaurs and so they named themselves (or Hiro named everyone, which seems to be the case considering what Naomi said).

Is there any pun I'm missing in Klaxosaur, by the way? The Japanese just sounded like kyouryuu, dinosaur, to me, but I'm guessing that unique name isn't based on nothing.

apparently kyouryuu was written with the characters for shout and dragon, so the klaxon portmanteau is meant to convey that.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Blaze Dragon posted:

They could be pilots who survived in to adulthood for one reason or another.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Imo Strelizia having orange hair is a nod to what the actual flower looks like — the designs all seem to be loosely inspired by their real world namesakes except Chlorophytum and maybe Genista.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I hate the protagonist so much. It feels like they actively avoided making anything about him interesting. He sucked the life not just out of the show but my body as well. I'm dying and I hope he dies too.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Also, the short pants and pulled up socks of the guy's uniforms look like poo poo. It's probably meant to look intentionally stiff, but in the end it still looks dumb.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I wonder if the argentea and ginista have their clothing separate from the main body to act as auxiliary equipment, because those two are the only ones that that diverge from the weird school uniform motif the other 3 have. If the genista's coat turns into a shield she'd be something out of Monster Hunter.

Well, I was chatting with Droyer about the resemblance between the robots and the flowers they're named after and

genus Genista posted:

Many of the species have flowers that open explosively when alighted on by an insect, the style flying through the upper seam of the keel and striking the underside of the insect, followed by a shower of pollen that coats the insect.

Reactive armor, maybe?

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I loved the first episode. It just looked and sounded great, and the whole thing oozes that Trigger swagger. Male lead is a little bland but I found 002 very compelling. My favorite little bit was where the evil space pope glitched out when the Klaxosaur attacked - is it just him that is fake, or is the whole crowd of adults fake? It wouldn't surprise me if the scale of the society is much, much smaller than what the Parasites believe; if it's all a show put on for their benefit.

an actual dog posted:

I hate the protagonist so much. It feels like they actively avoided making anything about him interesting. He sucked the life not just out of the show but my body as well. I'm dying and I hope he dies too.

I felt this way about Simon so I am hopeful.

You all were supposed to vote for Kill La Kill :c00lbert:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Show seems good, Zero Two is fantastic.

The Klaxosaur was kind of adorable with its tiny legs and giant head. :3:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

an actual dog posted:

Considering that his dreams were ruined and he has no obviously viable future in a world where kids are nameless soldiers fighting giant robot dinosaurs with laser cannons for bodies, I'm gonna give his introspective angst the benefit of the doubt here. Also he made a distinctly un-Shinji-like choice at the end there so he's at least neutral. :colbert:

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
Love those FranXX

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Huh. Interesting.

Seems like Zero and Hiro are the only pair where the girl is notably taller than the guy. Even the shortest of the other male pilots is paired with the shortest of the girls. (Might be a visual signifier on 0-Ni being the more assertive and forward of the two.)

Speaking of Miku and Zorome, from the expressions, I am expecting them to continually give each other, or possibly just everyone around them, poo poo. Which could be interesting. Figure a benefit to having multiple couples at the start is that you can get different dynamics, and mutual antagonism is much more fun than just one party being the rear end in a top hat.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Can those of you with decent Japanese keep explaining the puns / plays on language? I never would have got 002 being 0-Ni if no one explained it. That's pretty good :allears:

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I'm kinda lukewarm on this. The MC is a generic mopey kid and 002 just throws herself at him. I felt like the sex metaphors got pushed too far and had some really obvious and discomforting implications that I hope I'm just reading too much into.

Took a look at the manga, which is running concurrently, and the cockpit design actually grosses me out a fair bit. It looks degrading, like something out of an adult parody of a mecha show instead of an actual TV anime.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Desuwa posted:

I'm kinda lukewarm on this. The MC is a generic mopey kid and 002 just throws herself at him. I felt like the sex metaphors got pushed too far and had some really obvious and discomforting implications that I hope I'm just reading too much into.

Took a look at the manga, which is running concurrently, and the cockpit design actually grosses me out a fair bit. It looks degrading, like something out of an adult parody of a mecha show instead of an actual TV anime.

So Kentaro Yabuki is a good fit.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Welp, this is a dumb show that I'm going to end up watching.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Desuwa posted:

Haha oh man, can’t wait to see this onscreen

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I wouldn't be at all surprised if the main mech goes through a final upgrade including a change in cockpit configuration to a more romantic layout for the two pilots in the last episode or two. Or to see Hiro and 02 do something akin to a Love Love Tenkyoken at some point to signify an emotional milestone for themselves. As is, the relative positions of both pilots feels quite impersonal since they're not looking at each other and like many other things could be a deliberate design choice to evoke a lack of real emotional connection. I've no doubt there's some degree of pandering in the decision too, but there could be another reason too.

tsob fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 15, 2018

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Theyre gonna transform that cockpit through half the Kama Sutra. Already in the first episode Hiro basically blacked out face first into 02’s vagañia

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
pilot the eva and french kiss your partner

or another couple will have to do it again

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Expect My Mom posted:

:bisonyes:

Willias
Sep 3, 2008
So its Eureka Seven but with more and more direct sexual references and metaphors?

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
So does a pair/person piloting another pair's FranXX count as NTR or kidnapping...

I'll see myself out

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Just watched this. I cannot wait for Haruka Tomatsu to (hopefully) bust out ALL of her crazy voices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkZ1tTZZ5ao

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Willias posted:

So its Eureka Seven but with more and more direct sexual references and metaphors?

If there's one thing that Trigger really loves, its euphemisms.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

lol

Thor-Stryker posted:

If there's one thing that Trigger really loves, its euphemisms.

Even self reference can be considered mastubatory

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I’ve got money on the twist about the “parents” being at it to be a red herring. The show showing its hand with that in ep 1 so brazenly comes off as misdirection.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 16, 2018

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Lurking Haro posted:

So Kentaro Yabuki is a good fit.

hell yea

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ConanThe3rd posted:

I’ve got money on the twist about the “parents” being at it to be a red herring. The show showing its hand with that in ep 1 so brazenly comes off as misdirection.

I've no idea what you're even talking about.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

tsob posted:

I've no idea what you're even talking about.

At first it seems like “Papa” is officiating at the ceremony for the pilots, but it rapidly shows that he is not actually present except as a hologram. The poster is suggesting (I think) that this reveal is some sort of misdirection because of how quick and obvious the show was about it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there are just too many possibilities about him. he might just be some guy who makes broadcasts to the orphan indoctrination facilities, he might be the sinister leader of the entire cult society, or anything in between. heck, he might never appear again because the story focuses on hetero-bots fighting giant monsters.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

skasion posted:

At first it seems like “Papa” is officiating at the ceremony for the pilots, but it rapidly shows that he is not actually present except as a hologram. The poster is suggesting (I think) that this reveal is some sort of misdirection because of how quick and obvious the show was about it.

Yeah, sorry, this was what I meant

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

Yeah, sorry, this was what I meant

I’m not sure what sort of misdirection you think it could be though. I mean, he clearly isn’t actually there. What did you have in mind? He’s a fake creation of a less cool dude, like Oz The Great And Powerful?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It would also only be a misdirect if whatever it was leading up to was something far in to the show and it's entirely possible it's something that'll be dealt with early in the show's life and the show is just laying groundwork for stuff it intends to cover in the next couple of episodes.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Where are the gay bots

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Xun posted:

Where are the gay bots

The big twist halfway through will be that the monster bots are actually just the gay mechs from a much less draconian society trying to take down the religious crazytown.

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

PV for episode 2: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6dasdm

Not everyone is happy with 02 joining the club.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
The robutts in this are kinda boring (much like the show itself) but the fanart is making up for how bland the first episode was. Desperately hoping they can try to make our Protag boy into something interesting.
Also noticing that the character's being named after numbers is similiar to the whole Buster Machines deal in Diebuster. (which this show's design ethos is like a lite version of.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

The glimpse of the way the cockpits are laid out in that preview... I... hate it.

• Locked thread