Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is Trigger's best previous anime
Kill La Kill
When Supernatural Battles become commenplace
Kiznaiver
Little Witch Academia
Gurren Lagann*
Panty and Stocking*
Space Patrol Luluculo
Goku
View Results

• Locked thread
Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Cronodoculous posted:

Also, why does the robot have anime eyes

It looks like when the robot fully transforms/activates it's basically full body control. Like when 02 was talking after the transformation completed its mouth was moving as though the robot was 02.

This was a pretty paint-by-numbers first episode for a mecha show, but it had enough interesting stuff like the hosed up mores of the martyr-cult they've got going on, Naomi's speech("I wish you had never been my partner because you're good at this and I'm garbage so I'm dragging you down") which speaks to how hosed up said martyr-cult is, and the world setting in general(our base appears to be a biodome out in the middle of a leveled wasteland). The uniform designs are Diebuster as gently caress and the robot designs are halfway between Diebuster and Gurren Lagann.

Hopefully it can deliver.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Eej posted:

I'm kinda annoyed the MC is such a turd because in the first episode he comes off as a generic LN-type self-insert who is being held back by society and a hot girl of mysterious origin shows up to grant him awesome power so he can be the hero he always knew he could be. Hopefully he just remains a piece of human garbage forever and dies at some point and gets replaced by someone more interesting.

Also who goes to look for an injured animal bleeding all over the place and then drops the search and lets it die because he caught the sight of tity

e: I forgot that he thought she was drowning even though she was clearly swimming just fine in what is an artificial lake that is probably like 2 feet deep

These are pretty strong words about hating a character we've had basically zero time with at all, as well as a weird misrepresentation of what actually happened in the episode. Hiro isn't being held back by the society he lives in, he's explicitly holding himself back despite society making every effort to push him forward by refusing to take the pass they gave him to stick around when he and his partner failed the test. It looks like he's got some major self-loathing and guilt issues. As for the second part, 02 didn't grant him power, she used him to empower herself. He explicitly says he has no memory at all about what happened in the cockpit, the robot is very clearly female-controlled(to the point where the main robot's spoke with 02's voice), and 02 has used up and killed all of her previous partners. Being used as a battery by someone else isn't really the standard "random guy falls into cockpit and is an awesome pilot" setup.

Like Hiro's not a particularly interesting protagonist yet but he's done pretty much nothing wrong besides I guess letting a bird die because he got caught up in a conversation with 02. We don't know poo poo about why he was ready to sail his happy rear end back to the orphanage(or likely to his death since they basically state that failed pilots don't get to home) despite being given a pass to not and we don't know why he's so gloomy. Obviously at some point he wasn't, given that he gave Naomi and possibly the others their names.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Eej posted:

If the show does end up about breaking free of society then 02 being bi and making Franxx work with a same sex pairing when they are apparently only supposed to work with opposite sex pairs gives the writers more material to work with. They would lose their Jian metaphor though (not a big loss)

It's possible that subversion you're looking for is already baked in. From the preview of ep 2 we see, while the robots are clearly female-coded, the cockpit configuration has the guy in the center seat with the girl in the motorcycle position in front of him with literal handles popping out of their hips while wearing a bridal gown-inspired pilot suit. In ep 1, when we see 02 pull Hiro into the cockpit, she falls back into the center seat.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

darealkooky posted:

Did you miss the part where twintails girl got jealous that her partner wanted to pilot with another girl and their robot instantly broke down and stopped working?

Not only did this happen, it also happened while they very specifically talked about how the robots don't function properly if the two pilots aren't working together.

Hell, Ichigo putting her mech into desperation overdrive mode when she lost her patience with Hiro is a rock solid example that the girl has just as much, if not more control than the guy, despite the butthandles setup.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

tsob posted:

Why does Hiro know what a pervert is? Or care that 02 sees him as one? They aren't even aware of kissing, but want to avoid being accused of perving.

Presumably some sort of sexual mores exist; they don't have coed locker rooms, for instance.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Zark the Damned posted:

No idea why the shadowy council are being so dickish about Hiro being a perfect match for 02, you'd think they wanted a stamen for her who wouldn't burn out after their 3rd ejaculation.

I would assume that Strelizia is a pretty pivotal part of their war planning and that they're more willing to burn out an infinite amount of confirmed, qualified pilots on 02 than they are willing to potentially risk Strelizia being damaged or destroyed by putting an untested pilot who can't seem to function in any other franxxes in the seat. You could go "well why don't they just test Hiro out with her" but there seems to be a time sensitivity thing preventing that since the Masked Council of Doom were talking about needing Strelizia back on the "front lines" ASAP.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Zark the Damned posted:

I'd buy that if maybe Hiro hadn't already piloted with her in the first episode and showed that he doesn't need to even be conscious to allow 02 to use her full power. They could literally just duct tape him into the chair and let her do everything.

Which reminds me of another thing I thought of. We know the female suits have neural interfaces which connect with the robot, maybe the male suits have similar functions (or possibly even feedback dampeners?) and the reason Hiro was unconscious during his first time piloting was due to the fact he wasn't wearing the suit?

Alternate plot twist: There's actually nothing special about Hiro physically. The reason he doesn't get drained by 02 is simply that she likes him and hates all the other men who've piloted her, so she kills them (either deliberately or subconsciously).

He didn't really pilot with her in episode 1; that was the core of his insecurity about himself and Mitsuru being a dickhead to him. He was present in the cockpit while she did the thing but the only one 100% saying that he "piloted" was 02 herself. This matters because the people who make decisions didn't agree with her assertion that he was capable of piloting with her and they have all of the data to make decisions with. They went "oh, that's potentially interesting", but it wasn't until this episode where they went "yeah this changes everything, he can actually pilot with her for real".

That plot twist wouldn't actually surprise me, to be honest. We've been given a lot of examples of how important mental state and well-being are to how the robots function and how the relationship between the two pilots is a huge factor in how they function, given that the two pilots basically perform a mind meld. Since everyone else either treats 02 as a convenient tool/weapon or as some kind of terrifying inhuman freak, the mind meld might not work as intended, whereas Hiro treats her like a person.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

tsob posted:

Even if they weren't sure he did, testing the theory would seem appropriate and they certainly had enough time in the last two episodes to do it at some point. Instead they just point blank refuse to let him try and pilot with her, but are perfectly fine with her piloting alongside Mitsuru despite her obviously not giving a single poo poo about him. If there isn't some kind of ploy at work to suppress her true power by only using inefficient pilots or something it'll be very weird.

Given that no one has climbed into a franxx with 02 for more than three times without dying(and her first copilot that we saw was on death's door before round 3), "testing" with 02 involved involves potentially burning valuable resources because she's going to murder her copilot. Hiro is regarded as enough of a potential asset that he's allowed to stick around despite failing his test and his partner washing out. I could see a conservative ruling body making decisions based only on the data they receive deciding that a weird coincidence(Hiro "piloting" successfully while unconscious and not getting hosed up) isn't enough to warrant risking mangling a pilot who could be useful later on.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

It would be kind of funny if this was the case and the only dude she likes is the blandest boringest one.

I think this is kind of unfair to Hiro after this episode, since he's gotten some characterization and he's also not a complete limp noodle doormat. The other boys are also extremely one note so far; you've got The Nice Fat Kid, The Arrogant rear end in a top hat Short Kid, The Other Arrogant rear end in a top hat, and Goro.

Zark the Damned posted:

I mean, why else keep him around without a partner? They ditched Naomi after their failed test, so why keep Hiro? Is it just because he has a low number and Naomi had a high one (703, the highest of the group) and they were hoping to find someone else compatible to pair him up with later? Or possibly Dr Franxx pulled some strings because he somehow knew Hiro'd be good with 02 (but for some reason didn't tell anyone else)? IIRC it's not been explained why he was given the chance to hang around the plantation when Naomi was being forced to leave.

Pilots aren't stuck with their matched pairs, as we saw with 02 having multiple partners and Mitsuru getting a ride with 02. There's some inherent value about keeping a spare pilot around in case someone gets killed or if the next batch of students to come through has an opposite situation where the girl of a pair is salvageable but the guy washes out. Papa and the council seem to make all of their decisions based on data they receive and Hiro's numbers were apparently really good in training(Ichigo mentions that he was the best of them in training and Naomi wishes she wasn't his partner so he wouldn't feel tainted by her personal failure).

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Brought To You By posted:

Edit: Does anyone else get a bit confused that while in the cockpits, the male pilots have a digital image of the robot's face appear next to them for when their co-pilot is talking. Even though their co-pilot is literally right in front of them in the same area? Did Dr. FranXX put a camera in the shoulder just for this function?

I was under the assumption that when the robot is properly activated, the female pilot is basically subsumed into and effectively becomes the robot until the connection is broken(either willingly or unwillingly, like when Miku got messed up in ep 3).

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I'm actually curious what "running away" means in the context of this setting. From what we've seen so far most of Japan seems to be a lovely blasted wasteland desert and the plantations are the only habitations, so even if there weren't giant dinosaur monsters running around there wouldn't really be anywhere to run to. I guess the intro in the first ep had some trees in a snowfield?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Blaze Dragon posted:

"Running away" doesn't neccesarily have to mean they're running to anywhere in particular. For all we know, beyond the Plantations, there could be pockets of society that reject the current world order or something. Or maybe they'll just live wherever, getting food as they can, separate from the world.

The main issue with it is clearly that this is a society of absolute control, where the Parasites exist entirely to pilot FranXX and die in battle. 02 is dangerous because she has self-determination, she isn't chained down by the rules already set in stone, and she clearly cares about herself and Hiro as people instead of seeing themselves as tools whose value is entirely based around how good they are at going on near-suicidal runs on giant robots against dinorobots. Even Hiro and the rest are seen as "irregulars", most likely because Hiro himself has made them realize they exist as people by giving them names, even if all of them still care mostly about piloting giant robots for the sake of old people, and Hiro especially sees no value whatsoever in his life beyond piloting.

A blasted hellscape wasteland world infested with giant monsters that can only barely be beaten by advanced giant robots doesn't seem like a world where you'd kind of just have a town up in the mountains doing their own thing. If there were theoretical safe havens from the dinosaurs or places that weren't lovely blasted hellscapes, why wouldn't the council just use their advanced military technology to take those and live there?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

An obsessive, cultish reverence for their homeland? They’re already ticking off a bunch of other weird theocracy tropes.

I guess this could be a reason, though given their obsessive focus on data and numbers I've gotten less of a weird theocracy vibe("Papa" notwithstanding) and more of a cold, utilitarian technocracy vibe.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

jng2058 posted:

Yeah, that was my thinking on the matter. In particular, the "kissing" clearly triggered the worm klaxosaur attack and the ones in the episode before were drawn by the mining efforts. Indeed, given the technological look of the klaxes, I'd wager they feed on the same energy source that this society uses to power everything. Possibly abandoning that energy and going to live in an agrarian style could be the solution to the attacks...though if you're wrong about that guess you'll also have given away any hope for defending yourself from those attacks, so I can see why Papa and company aren't eager to go that route if they have another one available to them.

This reminds me of the part in Knights of Sidonia where a bunch of pacifists believed that they were being pursued by the space monsters because of their weapons tech so they splintered off from the main fleet without said weapons and then all of them got devoured by space monsters that they couldn't defend themselves against because they had no weapons.

Though to be honest, living in an agrarian society where you have to live in fear of the colossal roaming nightmare dinosaurs and hope they don't naturally migrate through your territory and also you're never allowed to technologically advance because it might attract more colossal nightmare dinosaurs doesn't sound much more appealing than living in the technocratic totalitarian dystopia.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I'm really interested in some world building because a society so devoted to survival at all costs that it will raise child soldiers from birth and discard them if they don't meet arbitrary statistical standards doesn't strike me as a society that would shy away from homosexual relationships if it meant that their giant robots would function more efficiently. Like the tiny picture we've gotten of Papa and the council and their focus on efficiency and numbers doesn't mesh with one of them going "we must have more machines for the front lines, but absolutely no butt stuff".

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

This episode was fantastic. It gave a huge amount of characterization to almost all of the children, even the ones who obviously aren't a focus. I think one of my favorite things is that for a show that is about as subtle as a brick to the face, there are a lot of body language cues or very short shots that convey a lot of information without remarking on it, like Mitsuru's face collapsing every time Hiro is mentioned or talks before his pill popping scene, or the death glare 02 gave Goro when he suggested he didn't want Strelizia on the field with them. 02 stole the show in both of her last two scenes, as well.

I really like when shows take a moment to breathe to flesh out character dynamics a little.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

LostRook posted:

My guess is bi based on having the same reaction to both Hiro and Ichigo.

That said, is parasite the word they use for children or orphans? At first it seemed like a general word for special kids, but the usage early on in this episode makes it seem more like an extreme utilitarian kind of thing.

Parasite seems to be the general designation for active FRANXX pilot. Children/orphans in general don't seem to be called parasites because there was some debate over whether or not Hiro would qualify to be a parasite.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 11, 2018

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

They haven't shown us any examples of what "normal" people are like in this setting besides that brief empty shot of the city, so we have no idea yet. Given the nervous "oh wait he doesn't know does he" reaction from the other plantation's pilots when Zorome asked if they knew about pilots becoming adults, either parasites are abnormal in some way or alternatively there's no such thing as a normal child anymore.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

With the information that each plantation has their own FRANXX garrison, I'm curious what the protagonists' plantation did for self-defense before their training was complete and their unit was established, since it doesn't look like their plantation is recently established or anything.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

Isn't the whole thing with the Blue Oni that he sacrifices his happiness for the Red Oni?

In a way that's already happening. 02 seems extremely amped to spend time with Hiro, but him becoming attached to her is straining his other relationships enormously and is also causing him unbearable physical agony.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I rewatched ep 5 and it confirms how good this particular episode is in my mind. The scene of Ichigo yelling at 02 for being inhuman followed by the monstrously-framed 02 asking "what is "human" to you people?" followed by Ichigo and Goro having their little talk and simply being unable to process what we would consider basic human emotions due to their hosed up upbringing is really good.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 15, 2018

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

nielsm posted:

The mass produced Franxx aren't very cute, actually.

While it continued the trend of brick-like subtlety, I actually really liked how the MP FRANXXes were all completely uniform and built entirely around using squad-based tactics with identical weapons. I also liked how they didn't fail because they were stupid, arrogant, or underpowered, they failed because they kicked so much rear end that they literally ran out of ammo/fuel. It always bothers me in mecha anime when a competent veteran squad gets murdered effortlessly to show the potential of the plucky misfit protagonists, so it was nice seeing them fail due to circumstances they couldn't affect and then survive the process with the help of our heroes.

There Bias Two posted:

Uh...What's up with the creepy triplets in back with muzzles?

I'd wager the smug girl in front is blondie's partner and the triplets are paired with the other three guys.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 17, 2018

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

There Bias Two posted:

He definitely puts her on a pedestal. Hopefully she learns to actually appreciate him at some point, and he gains a more nuanced perspective toward her.

I think this might be the start of her learning to appreciate him. In the context of this episode, everything she's done up to this point feels like a series of tests she's been putting him through to make sure that he's worth putting her faith in, as opposed to all of the others who gave up/died and left her alone. She's never really had anyone stick around for her before, as far as we're aware. There's also the whole "02 needs to learn to interact with other people" thing that has a lot of room for exploration and might be the way that Hiro starts treating 02 differently. Her nonchalant attitude about the lives of others is definitely a sore point that I can see causing friction with Hiro, because he clearly cares substantially about the lives of his squadmates.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Shere posted:

I don't find the combat very appealing either. It's lacking a sense of weight/scale and purpose. We haven't been shown a reason to believe that the Franxx are really the best way to get the job done. More the point, without Strelitzia being the Gurren Lagann of the show the main squad would have been wiped out like 3 times by now. Doesn't seem like a very sustainable defense strategy.

I'm really endeared with how the show doesn't outright explain anything, and leaves the viewer to read between the lines. I'm hoping they sort of address this eventually, directly or not.

If someone told me that they were watching this for the interesting world building and character interactions, and that the mech stuff wasn't their thing, I'd totally agree with that. There's not a whole lot of meat on the bones of it right now, just a cool burst of animation and a stab through the core.

e: I also don't find the Klaxosaurs to be a very interesting enemy. I want to know more about what they are, but so far they're just big punching bags.

This is all pretty valid. Aside from the mass production robots having a really cool team attack strategy(that they displayed in identical fashion several times) and aside from Strelizia's shenanigans, the protagonist robots have done pretty much nothing besides get thrown around and their big moments have consisted of "stab monster with spears to hold it down for Strelizia's monstrous power to finish the job". This makes sense plot-wise(they're all useless green rookies and Strelizia's "core" is a superhuman veteran), but it's not something that will remain acceptable forever if the choreography is going to remain interesting. They also take a lot of shortcuts with animating members of the squad that aren't Strelizia or Delphinium. The especially egregious moment in this episode was when they went "We've got to stop it from transforming so Strelizia can kill it!", they are all shown dashing in....and then it jump cuts to still frames of them holding open various parts of the klaxosaur, instead of actually animating them doing that, with only Delphinium actually receiving animation(her straining to hold her part open followed by yelling for Hiro and 02).

While Strelizia's animations have been good and cool, there's a whole lot of room to improve the rest of the cast to make their robot choreography actually interesting to watch.

Personal_Nirvana posted:

It's weird but so far everything interesting in the robot show has nothing to do with the actual robots.

This isn't weird at all for a mecha show, it's actually quite common. The one thing I can say is that a mecha show with really good character stuff but mediocre robots is always a lot more watchable and interesting than a mecha show with fantastic robots but mediocre characters.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

It does? I remember it kinda meandering for forty episodes (give or take the Beams arc) and then squeezing the vast majority of its plot into the last ten.

Yeah, Eureka Seven is extremely meandering and goes absolutely nowhere for most of the runtime of the show, making it a pretty boring overall watch. There's some really good stuff in there but the show could have easily been two cour without even needing to sacrifice all of the world building and side story stuff(like the Beams) because pretty much everything important to the main plot happens at the very end.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Blue Nation posted:

I didn't like Talho's makeover after finding out she's pregnant. I also wanted Hiro to have more visible poo poo on his body rather than it receding.

I'm hoping Hiro will start showing biological changes, like having 02's weird eyes or developing his own horns or something that indicates he has physically changed to adapt to piloting with 02.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Caphi posted:

Even the robot part of the show is characterized mainly by Ichigo trying really hard, failing, and Strelizia showing up and casually rolling the enemy. Her whole arc for the last episode was "yeah let's just accept that we're Strelizia's sidekicks" after how many episodes of "hey, maybe follow orders and coordinate?" "eh, boring."

It's not just that it's depicting deliberately unhealthy character dynamics, it's framing them. The whole last episode was half of "Ichigo is casually brushed off again" and half of sincere, triumphant affirmation of Hiro's devotion to 02.

I guess where we have a disconnect is I feel like this show is actively working to validate, if not 02, at least Hiro, at the expense of every other child, and specifically that it's gone out of their way to have both of them dismiss any point of view that is not centered on their perfect robot-loving. Ichigo in particular feels like mean-spirited misery porn and I'm increasingly uncomfortable with any scene about her.

Ichigo is a poorly socialized teenager raised in a creepy death cult who has a one-sided crush on someone who doesn't feel that way about her, at all. The show has been pretty good about depicting how soul-crushing it can be to be romantically interested in someone and have to grapple with the idea that that person simply doesn't return your feelings in the same way. I don't find the scenes with her agonizing about Hiro to be "misery porn", they're her trying to deal with a flood of unfamiliar emotions that she doesn't know how to control or deal with. I thought it was interesting that at the end of episode 6, when the squad was holding the klaxosaur open and she was calling for the Strelizia, she didn't just yell Hiro's name - she also yelled for 02, for the first time. That suggests to me that she's beginning to accept that 02 isn't going away and that she needs to square the idea that 02 and Hiro are going to be A Thing in her head finally.

The robot scenes have been very Strelizia-centric because Strelizia has been specifically introduced as a pinnacle of Franxx technology being piloted by a mutant who is so good at fighting that her partners can't keep up with her and die whereas the rest of our protagonist Franxxes are part of a cobbled together test squad with literally no combat experience at all being tossed into the deep end of combat immediately. Given how desperately green the squad is, Ichigo has done pretty well as leader. Aside from her mental lapse in their first engagement, she was the one who came up with the plan to pin down the worm Klaxxosaur to let the Strelizia kill it, and she and Goro came up with the idea for the rest of the squad to distract and disable the Gutenburg-class so that the Strelizia could kill it. She and Goro relying on the Strelizia to do the heavy lifting is simply understanding that the Strelizia is very powerful and has a vastly experienced pilot and making use of that material to keep the squad safe. The goal is for the squad to win the fight, not for Ichigo to win the fight.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Dryzen posted:

I don't think there's been any indication that the show will be touching on 02's issues at all recently and that all of the focus has instead been on 02 being the person who helps hiro finally solve his own issue with this past episode being the conclusion of that

There was that whole thing in Ep 6 where Dr. Franxx mused that Hiro might be the one who can make 02's wishes come true, and 02 staring at her mech after the fight and talking about how she had to kill more and more klaxosaurs, as though she had a quota to meet, but those sounded more like long term goals rather than short term problems.

Caphi posted:

Yeah, now it's just one-sided hostility.

I guess that's my problem. We're 7 episodes in and 02 has not gotten any less lovely, but everyone else has decided to love her and the show doesn't really present that as a problem. It's not not presenting her as lovely but thus far it's framed it like everyone else has to Deal With It because if you're not on the side of the greatest love story ever told you're on the wrong side of history.

It's the same as the robots thing. Ichigo says "drat it you guys help us out here" and 02 says "bite me neener neener" and the way that's fallen out is that Strelizia is simply the best and everyone else should have just moved out of the way to begin with.

Not just 02, Hiro basically just ignores Ichigo at all times and she's somehow just convinced herself to love it, and the framing is "well, he's happy, so it's her problem."

I feel like we've been on the "this is definitely the week we learn what 02's damage is and she learns to be friends" for at least three weeks, Mitsuki and Zorome and Ichigo. 02 is consistently lovely to everyone but Hiro, Hiro himself is kind of lovely because of 02, and I can't tell if I'm the only one who is reading that they're being vindicated.

Did you forget this is a two cour show? 02's story and attitude are shaping up to be central focuses of the entire plot, they're not going to resolve one of the main sources of interpersonal drama in the cast in the first couple of episodes, especially when most of those episodes have had an enormously heavy focus on Hiro getting over his personal demons. Hell, all of the children except Futoshi, Kokoro, and Miku have gotten more screentime and development than 02 herself so far; there has been literally no time for her to learn to stop being an rear end in a top hat to everyone but Hiro yet.

The show has absolutely not portrayed 02's attitude as okay; the squad is just extremely happy that Hiro - their friend and leader from childhood who was seemingly lost to them and is the one who literally gave all of them their names - has not only survived a death sentence but also found his groove and rejoined their squad as a functional and powerful member. 02 gets some kudos from them as well because it's 02 who made Hiro's return possible. That doesn't mean all of them like or are friends with 02, and in fact, in this very episode we also had an interesting bit in Dr. Franxx warning Hiro to not be a loving rollover for 02's lovey dovey act, as well. 02 hasn't been put in a situation where she needs to give a poo poo about any of the other kids yet. She's an outsider, a foreigner, and a freak; Ichigo called her inhuman to her face two episodes ago and no one else has interacted with her on a personal level, so why would 02 suddenly be friends with any of them yet?

As for "Hiro ignores Ichigo", I guess that's true if you just completely ignore their walk on the beach and their discussion where Hiro specifically recalls events from their childhood and a promise that even Ichigo assumed that he forgot, a scene that was very blatantly obviously meant to show that Hiro cares about and values Ichigo enormously, even if he doesn't feel the same way about her as she does about him. She specifically told him that she views their kiss as special and that he wants him to pay attention to her too, which is basically the exact opposite of her being some kind of sadsack who is content to just sit there and let Hiro hook up with 02.

From reading your posts, it feels like you just want all the character growth and interpersonal drama to be solved offscreen and for Hiro to hook up with Ichigo and fly off into the sunset immediately.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Caphi posted:

Sorry I'm exaggerating but "hey I have something really important to tell you, please don-" "HEY LOOK SOME METEORS sorry did you say something" doesn't really say "cares" in any sense whatsoever.

"Hey look this amazing thing that doesn't happen very often and can be over in an instant" is a pretty valid interruption point, and she had every opportunity to repeat what she was saying but she opted to be coy about it instead.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Grouchio posted:

So the last page has been telling me to dislike 02 despite being a very interesting, cool character, for some reason - right?

I've been typing big essays about how 02's characterization is good and makes sense and how it will be interesting to see how it develops.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

For a show as loving horny as this one is it's also incredibly, bizarrely wholesome.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Brought To You By posted:

Every episode I find new ways to ponder how these mechs were designed both from the standpoint of the show creators, and the in-universe perspective of Dr. Franxx. Today I wondered how the cockpits are sealed or rather, why they aren't sealed against the environment. The goop being able to seep into the cockpit area implies that there isn't a watertight seal once they close the face. That's a problem when you think about the threats Klaxorsaur can produce that this episode now introduces. I get that this was all an attempt to facilitate the episode's core drama, and it was a fun episode so pardon my overthinking things. . But the idea that a fairly viscous fluid seep into the cockpit tells me that both liquid and air based attacks would be effective against these robots.

That aside; I'd caught up on the past episode and the tone shift took a moment to get used too but the lightheartedness of these episodes is nice. Plus there is still some crunch to the episodes which I like.

There's serious design costs to making things airtight and watertight, since you then have to worry about things like life support and oxygen circulation within a closed system. Then the fact that these are combat robots designed to take seriously hard knocks(remember Strelizia getting jackhammered into a steel wall a billion times?) means that to waterproof the cockpits you not only have to make a functioning, closed-circuit life support system that will also not suffer failure or interruption when taking severe damage or else you suffocate your pilots. It's possible that Klaxosaurs simply haven't deployed liquid/gas based natural weaponry before so it's never been a major design concern.

These robots are obviously playing fast and loose with science fantasy so the Mystery Science Theater 3000 intro applies here but it's not implausible that they just aren't airtight due to design economy.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

They did an entire episode about the boys ogling the girls without ever inviting the audience to ogle the girls too.

This is a really good point, actually. Come to think of it, the beach episode is also unexpectedly light on fanservice as well; you had a couple of shots at the beginning and then the rest of the episode was character development without any real focus on them being in swimsuits.

Studio A-1 hooking everyone with the up front BEEP BEEP IT'S ABOUT SEX to rope people in to watching their wholesome show about children growing up and learning about relationships.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

AnacondaHL posted:

but why does it only eject one of them. aside from convenient plot drama.

APE doesn't really seem to give a poo poo about the survival of the stamen part of the pairing, honestly. They were perfectly willing to continue feeding an endless parade of disposable stamens to 02 in order to keep her operational despite her burning them out and killing them in only 3 fights. Nana and Hachi certainly didn't seem to regard an attempted rescue as a high priority, given that their plan was "we're basically just going to let this thing fly into gun range and blow it up" until 02 pointed out the exhaust vent. I'm honestly surprised they agreed to let Ichigo make the attempt.

Based on what we've seen, maybe it's an issue of interchangeability; each of the special custom-style FRANXXes that our protagonists use seems to be "keyed" to a particular pistil(Strelizia to 02, Delphinium to Ichigo, etc) but any stamen can operate any FRANXX provided they have the requisite amount of compatibility with the pistil. Maybe it takes a lot of work to rework a custom-style FRANXX to function with a different pistil so it's more desirable to try to save the pistil than the stamen if all else fails. We've seen that FRANXXes are incredibly durable, so it's entirely possible that the calculus is "if the FRANXX is mangled and the stamen dies but we get the pistil to safety we can salvage it".

As for the episode, the scenario was okay and it was really good to see a fight where it wasn't just Strelizia carrying the day. The main issue I have is that while certain aspects of Goro's revelation here were done well(his discussions with Hiro and Ichigo), I thought that the constant monologuing and flashbacking was a little weak given the solid character development chops this show has had so far. I would have liked if Goro's feelings were revealed a little bit more by actions and interactions. That said, I thought they were a little weak, not bad. Goro is a straightforward person so it's pretty nice to see him going about his feelings in a straightforward manner once he understands them and just putting all his cards on the table to both people who are most important to him instead of tiptoeing around the issue like most characters would.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Crabtree posted:

Then, what, are most of the robots poo poo compared to the lancer?

02 is a mutant freak special case so her robot is probably pretty structurally different than the others. The others are still custom jobs that are way more unique than the mass production robots we saw.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

AnacondaHL posted:

Again, only in 002's case have Stamens been treated with unequal importance. There's no indication of this as the norm, and even further, I'd argue there's indication that both Stamens and Pistils are replaceable.

And re-read what you just suggested regarding interchangeability: if it's so hard to switch pistils into different FranXXs... what is the point of having an emergency eject for one? Wouldn't it make sense to just let the pistil die with the FranXX she's meant to pilot if that FranXX is hosed, and use resources to just train another pistil with another FranXX? And wouldn't it make even more sense to save the Stamen, since Stamen can be used more interchangeably in different FranXXs?

Or if they are actually both disposable, why is there even an emergency eject in the first place? Or, going back to my original statement, why not just eject both of them.

The robots have been shown to be unbelievably durable. Like it's entirely possible that the mangled husk of the Delphinium could have been pulled out of the explosion's wreckage and be restored to functionality even if the pilot(s) were dead. We saw Strelizia get shot at point blank by a giant laser and pile-driven into a metal wall a billion times while still remaining functional, and Argentea has gotten the poo poo kicked out of it a lot without any appreciable problems.

Naomi wasn't actually a pistil yet, just like Hiro wasn't actually a stamen until he paired with 02. She didn't have a FRANXX built and customized for her because she didn't show the aptitude to be worth it, so she got sent off to the farm upstate.

The very fact that there is an emergency eject function for the pistil and not the stamen states that the people building these things(APE, Dr. Franxx) explicitly consider the pistils to be valuable and worth saving while the stamens are ultimately disposable. That's text. Stuff like 02 being allowed to munch through an endless parade of copilots without anyone in authority thinking anything of it is merely supporting evidence.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Mar 11, 2018

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

It's pretty fun thinking about the hows and whys of this weird rear end setting, though.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Kyte posted:

We have more than enough relationship drama on media nowadays. Seeing a boy realize his feelings and actually act upon them in a straightforward way is a treat.

Plus, it'd been made pretty obvious like two episodes ago, stretching out the resolution would've just been frustrating.

Yeah, it's almost downright subversive for a character in an unrequited love triangle to just lay their cards on the table as soon as he comes to realize their own feelings instead of burying them and harboring internal anguish or resentment for the other people in the triangle. It feels especially effective because of the difference in how Goro is going about this versus how Ichigo is going about her own conflict.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Mar 12, 2018

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Kashuno posted:

I mean it looks like Ichigo has started moving beyond her feelings for Hiro as well. Symbolically, losing her hairclip from Hiro as she was rescuing Goro really shows what Ichigo's priorities are. Her and 02 may have some friction still, but she knows Hiro is happy and she can trust 02 enough that she thinks it will stay that way, and seems to be finally moving on.

I don't think she's really there yet. She's literally stalker-spying on Hiro in this very episode, and she only realizes that her hairclip is missing when Goro points it out, at which point she freaks out and starts looking for it; when Goro hands her his replacement for it, her immediate response is to thank him for finding her old one(from Hiro) until he corrects her. Goro confessing his feelings to her caught her completely off guard as though she had never even considered that being a possibility before, which will take time for her to process and square with her own feelings.

The setup for her beginning to trust 02 has been laid in this episode, though, I agree. This is the very first time that 02 has done something to help the squad of her own initiative without it being for the benefit of or because of Hiro, and it directly lead to Ichigo being able to save someone important to her. That's a pretty powerful icebreaker and Ichigo being grateful to 02 means that it's plausible for her to begin to accept 02 as a person instead of being resentful of her for monopolizing Hiro.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Kashuno posted:

Yeah for the kid who when he was younger apparently fought people just to make them hate him(?), Goro seems to be really calm and friendly with full understanding of himself, others, and his position

He actually wanted to be a troublemaker because he thought it would mean they wouldn't force him to live communally with all the other children, presumably because he had no friends and/or wanted alone time. Then Ichigo became his friend and then I guess after that he fell into the Cult of Hiro's Personality.

It's pretty weird and funny how Hiro is portrayed as basically being Jesus in the flashbacks. You have these little rear end in a top hat kids being assholes and beating the poo poo out of each other, and then Hiro walks up and everyone is smiling and laughing like "YEAH IT'S HIRO!" and Ichigo is looking at him like he's a god.

Kashuno posted:

it's really uncomfortable that they bring up Naomi pretty casually.

As far as the kids are aware Naomi spent time in a hospital and then got sent back to the orphanage or something. She was never supposed to come back even if nothing had gone wrong, anyway.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Ranzear posted:

His number is in the teens. That may be precisely why.

Ichigo's number is not only in the teens, it's also lower than Hiro's, but nobody seems to worship her besides Goro. She had to help him beat the poo poo out of those other kids.

• Locked thread