Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is Trigger's best previous anime
Kill La Kill
When Supernatural Battles become commenplace
Kiznaiver
Little Witch Academia
Gurren Lagann*
Panty and Stocking*
Space Patrol Luluculo
Goku
View Results

• Locked thread
tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Hiro acknowledged it, but Naomi acted like leaving the main sphere was analagous to being forgotten or dead so it's no surprise no-one else acknowledged her death. None of them even came out to see her off, so it's likely the rest view her as gone regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

NotALizardman posted:

I love this robot.

I like the robot, I hate her gun. Not even the entire gun, since I like most of it from the cylinder where the bullets of a revolver would go forward. I just hate the piddly looking stock/handle hanging off the back and the orange blade, since both of them look out of proportion and don't fit to me because of it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Blaze Dragon posted:

I find it interesting how it's not only the children, two out of three adults also have numbers as names, with Dr. Franxx being the only exception.

They could be pilots who survived in to adulthood for one reason or another.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Also, the short pants and pulled up socks of the guy's uniforms look like poo poo. It's probably meant to look intentionally stiff, but in the end it still looks dumb.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I wouldn't be at all surprised if the main mech goes through a final upgrade including a change in cockpit configuration to a more romantic layout for the two pilots in the last episode or two. Or to see Hiro and 02 do something akin to a Love Love Tenkyoken at some point to signify an emotional milestone for themselves. As is, the relative positions of both pilots feels quite impersonal since they're not looking at each other and like many other things could be a deliberate design choice to evoke a lack of real emotional connection. I've no doubt there's some degree of pandering in the decision too, but there could be another reason too.

tsob fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 15, 2018

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ConanThe3rd posted:

I’ve got money on the twist about the “parents” being at it to be a red herring. The show showing its hand with that in ep 1 so brazenly comes off as misdirection.

I've no idea what you're even talking about.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It would also only be a misdirect if whatever it was leading up to was something far in to the show and it's entirely possible it's something that'll be dealt with early in the show's life and the show is just laying groundwork for stuff it intends to cover in the next couple of episodes.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Mikazuki was one of the most boring Gundam main characters, and I'd have trouble picking between him and Heero for the least interesting stoic Gundam main characters, though Heero was at least more entertaining a in "this is dumb as hell" way.

tsob fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jan 19, 2018

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Darth Walrus posted:

Hiro’s interesting because he’s the only character who’s been set up so far to question and eventually come into conflict with this hosed-up society. In contrast, Zero-Two is basically an avatar of everything that makes said society so destructive - callous hedonism masking a terror of being found useless that exceeds anything as mundane as a fear of death.

02 is introduced griping about the lack of facilities in this society and seems to regularly evade handlers to pursue her own desires. She's not outright questioning the society, but she's at least as set up to do so as Hiro after the first episode. Not to mention that she is an apparent outsider, both literally and figuratively; not trained in the garden like other pilots, a half human in some manner and with a much more relaxed attitude to sexuality and life in general than anyone bar Hiro himself. More than him in some ways.

Eej posted:

The last Trigger thing I watched was Kiznaiver and their handling of high minded concepts like "people discovering the concept of empathy" was... muddled and missed the mark at best. But yeah, I have zero interest in an MC who starts as an edgy teen moping about how broken he is until a babe shows up to shatter his world. The first episode could've been vastly improved by just making the MC a girl and not just for dudes who are really into yuri.

I fail to see how changing Hiro's sex would have made things any different really. Mopey girl whose life is shaken up by the entrance of a magical new girl in to her life and with possible lesbian overtones or mopey girl whose life is shaken up by a magical boy is both the same problem with only a tiny switch and not much less cliche. It's just a fairly standard yuri or shoujo plot instead of shonen plot as far as I can tell.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Eej posted:

If the show does end up about breaking free of society then 02 being bi and making Franxx work with a same sex pairing when they are apparently only supposed to work with opposite sex pairs gives the writers more material to work with. They would lose their Jian metaphor though (not a big loss)

I have no idea what a Jian metaphor is. Putting that aside though, unless you think the whole relationship and societal acceptance would be done in one episode I fail to see how Hiro being a girl to enable 02 to break free of society's expectations would make the first episode much better. Even then, the entire show is basically already set up to be about the main cast going against an oppressive society, so all making the main relationship a lesbian one that breaks the set up system would do is add another layer of societal breakage to a story already about that.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
How would they lose it if 02 hooked up with a girl instead of a boy? She'd still be hooking up with someone and need them to make her Franxx reach it's full potential (as well as presumably reach full potential herself).

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Is the penis a rudder or something?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

StrixNebulosa posted:

Kind of thinking of watching it back to back with Franxx eps - have a weekly trashy robot anime hour. Maybe toss in Killing Bites, too, get through my problematic shows in a single glorious shot once per week. (Better than trying to pair it with the serious shows of the season - Violet Evergarden and 3-gatsu no Lion don't, uh, pair well with these.)

Watching episode 2 just made me think of Godannar as well, and I haven't watched it in years so I'd totally be down for a Simulwatch of Godannar and Darling in the Franxx if someone did it. Maybe some other show that feels a bit similar as well, like Gurren Lagann or something.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

be sure to keep watching at least until the international pilots show up

They're one of my favorite things about Godannar, but I actually quite liked the show all round despite it's issues when I watched it. The show is chock full of fanservice, but Anna marrying Goh isn't even the worst of it by far. I recall the actual child pilot being worse just because of her outfit. Still, the international pilots featuring a cast of people in less standard relationships that are treated totally normally was one of the shows high points. Even when perhaps it shouldn't have treated them quite so normally in the case of the British (I think) brother and sister, who were possibly incestuously linked. Still, it had a lesbian couple and a sub guy in love with a really domineering woman who it never treated as less than and that was cool. I recall loving the Chinese couple, both their unit design, and their relationship which was very cliche but pulled off fairly well regardless.

Expect My Mom posted:

e: for content's sake, i'll say that Hiro is honestly the very least of my problem with this show. He's honestly written semi realistically, has a personal goal he wants to achieve and is doing the best he can do to get there, also he isn't a complete weirdo so I Like Him

I doubt anyone feels that he's unrealistic or anything, so much as that he's kind of generic compared to 02 who isn't much different in terms of how much she's been done before as a mysterious character; but at least she's entertaining in her willingness to prod the cast around in unusual ways and evoke reactions.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

If you need an explanation, it's worth bringing up that he's much smaller than the standard bully archetype, to the point where most of the girls are taller than he is. He's basically a shrimp with low test scores who's being an rear end in a top hat to try to convince everyone (not least of all himself) that he's hot poo poo in spite of everything.

There's also the fact he's raised in a society that seems to determine worth solely on usefulness, so he's conditioned to prove himself worthy by showing that he's more useful than others. That, and he's been given the lowest number out of all the pilots so far and being literally named and constantly reminded that you're the lowest and least valued person in a group just by your name has to rankle. It's really no surprise the guy has an inferiority complex.

NotALizardman posted:

The more I think about it, the worse I feel for Ichigo.

The whole time they were piloting Hiro was being insanely self-centered. Which is fair, to a certain extent, since the whole point of the endeavor was testing if he could pilot again. But for Ichigo's part she kissed and had giant robot sex with a guy she likes, and the whole time he's viewing it as a means to an end. Just a way to get back with Zero Two. They kiss and he straight up tells her he didn't feel anything.

It honestly makes me feel bad for laughing at the "you were awful" line.

To be fair, she wasn't the most considerate character herself and could have been viewed as volunteering to try and show up 02 as much as to help Hiro. Which she was doing I suppose, just in a more personal manner than than a professional one. Plus, when she offered to kiss Hiro she would only do so if he couldn't see her, or possibly from Hiro's viewpoint, she couldn't see him. And not even wanting to see him has to sting. For all that Noami and Ichigo wanted to pilot with Hiro, they seemed to resent him or certain tendencies he has in vocal ways that 02 hasn't done so so far, so it's not really a surprise he's able to pilot with her given acceptance and trust appears to be a major component and neither Noami or Ichigo really seemed to trust Hiro and he didn't trust them. Which came first isn't that important in the moment.

esselfortium posted:

Yeah, Ichigo is in a truly miserable situation there. I feel awful for her too and hope she gets some sort of meaningful satisfaction and happiness by the end.

Given that they're being set up in sexual pairs her happiness will presumably be dependent on coming to terms with her assigned partner rather than her crush. Which says some kind of shady stuff about relationships in and of itself I suppose, but self determination doesn't seem all that plausible with the system as established at least.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Droyer posted:

So like, do you think it's incredibly hosed up that people close their eyes when they kiss?

I don't, but I do think it's hosed up that she wouldn't even give him the option and covered his face before they do it. That said, I've been griped at before for keeping my eyes open during kisses.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Sakurazuka posted:

Which Aquarion because there's no universe where it's worse than the first or last one. So far anyway.

I don't know that I'd call it better or worse than Genesis of Aquarion yet, but the first Aquarion is easily my favorite of the two Aquarions I have seen.The second has a really strong start, but within a handful of episodes the assertive female love interest is just becoming a useless mopey bundle of misery and the other two main characters are too boring and stupid to carry the show. The only reason to keep watching past those episodes is the secondary couple with frog girl and infiltrator guy, and that's killed at the half way point. The second half is boring tripe almost all the way through, and doesn't even have good action with the theme song cresting to the action and that's almost the defining moment of an Aquarion show. There's a couple of fun moments, but it isn't remotely worth the journey. Genesis doesn't have as high a high and isn't a great show, but it's nowhere near the same low either. Plus, Fudo Gen or whatever his name is is actually likable rather than a dick whose selfish actions basically caused all of the first two shows.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Sakurazuka posted:

I can still remember the EVOL/LOVE bit and all I can remember about the first series is being intensely bored plus lovely mid 2000's cgi so I like Evol better.

I liked the main character of Genesis as just this wild and kind of stupid but ultimately well meaning dude. The show reinforced his wild upbringing regularly by having him walk around on all fours, sniffing stuff to find it or familiarize himself with it etc. He was unusual, but kind of fun. I remember silly lessons like "put your shoes on your hands to feel the Earth". I remember "combining addiction" i.e. sex/orgasm addiction, and silly combinations and attacks like the infinite punch. I remember comedy episodes like the main cast having to fight an angel that attacks in dreams and Sylvie "launching" by smacking her head off a table really hard so she could fall unconscious. Including the usual pilot launch shout just before she did so. I remember a really barebones but actually well animated episode directed by a guy who specializes in that kind of minimal art. A lot of the good elements of Evol like the music, the combinations etc. are just copies of stuff in Genesis. Sometimes they're even just flat out worse, like it's vision of Gen. It has a few bright spots, and I recall some of it too certainly, but often precisely because I didn't think it good.

tsob fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 22, 2018

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It also doesn't have Mako. Or Mako's ending. Step it up Trigger.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Honestly, I don't even remember what the end game for her as a character was. I just meant her ED video after an episode was over. Kill la Kill kind of lost me after a while and I have strong memories of the start, but not so much the end.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Endorph posted:

Turn-A Gundam had a villain who was obsessed with power, dominance, and proving himself the strongest contrasted with the protagonist, a fairly effeminate guy who spends like 1/3rd of the series crossdressing and hates fighting and mostly uses his mech for washing clothes and carrying cows. And it's from the year 2000.

I can certainly see why someone would argue that Gym exudes or encapsulates those qualities, but I don't recall anything to imply he's obsessed with them. His motivation for instance isn't having power, but, at least from his own perspective wanting to break free from the Moonrace's taboos because he thinks that those taboos have limited the Moonrace culturally and fighting is what will free them. That's not really anything to do with power, dominance or displays of strength. He seems content to be Dianna's subordinate until she orders him to hand over the Turn-X too. By the finale he's decided to use the Moonlight Butterfly to wipe out of all civilization on both the Moon and Earth and then restart it to his preference, but again, he wants to do so because he thinks the civilizations that are there are stagnant because they suppress the instinct to fight, not because they're necessarily weak.

Endorph posted:

Code Geass had a male protagonist who was a pretty lovely pilot and spent 90% of the first season in a grunt mech and had to rely on a girl to do all the fighting for him because all his other troops were the worst pilots in Japan, and while that take gets muddled a bit in the second season the second season still has that same girl firmly established as the best pilot in the series by a mile.

The show ends with Kallen and Suzaku dueling to what could be seen as a stand still, and even if you want to argue there's a winner it's only just barely and after an extended fight. Saying she's better than him by a mile is some gross exaggeration.

Endorph posted:

it was at LEAST three and also multiple characters constantly reference how sexy he is in a dress

I'm pretty sure it wasn't actually. Loran wears a dress once to the party Dianna throws to try and bridge the gap between the Moonrace and Amerians and once to the declaration of a new Moonrace state (that Kihel backs away from). You might be including him practicing wearing the dress with Kihel, but that's in the same episode as the first example with the party and almost directly follows from it, so I'd say there's no reason to include it as a separate example personally. The whole thing takes up maybe half an episode total across the entire show, so saying he does it for half the show itself is some major hyperbole.

Zark the Damned posted:

Skeevy as the butt handles may be, it's still a far better 2-pilot interface than in Pacific Rim.

What's wrong with the interface in Pacific Rim?

tsob fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 23, 2018

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I think I must have watched a different show or something. I certainly don't recall Gym trying to rape Kihel and Guin wants to be a captain of industry because he thinks technology makes life intrinsically better rather than for some sort of compensation, which he does by calling Loran a female name instead. He allies with Gym because Dianna wants to restrict access to certain technology and he wants all of it, not because of her feminine values in some manner. He doesn't end up alone either, but with Merrybell and with enough money to secure passage on a ship to another continent. She's more aggressive than Guin too, given that she constantly seeks to resolve things by fighting or just wants to fight for fun and he has to constantly restrain her and Gym. Plus, Guin is the one who seems to have opted to care for her given that he seeks her out when the blimp is going down in the finale, not her him. The only woman Phil interacts with meaningfully is Poe as far as I recall and I don't even remember him talking down to her so much as just outright manipulating her because of her own desire for retribution and power. Agrippa doesn't want to be a powerful, proper leader either; he wants to cast all the aggressive people who seek conflict to Earth and have the Moon remain a peaceful and static place. For which he's willing to work with Gym, who hasn't shown much in the way of obvious desire for conflict by that point. Cancer as well as Corin become much more sympathetic over time and while their personalities do shift they never lose their stance on conflict as a good resolution.

Also, I do actually need you to explain Loran's androgyny. The only androgyny I can see is that he crossdresses. Under orders. And which he expresses dissatisfaction with. Other than that he's no more androgynous than any other Gundam protagonist going back to the start, and frankly, given that his resume includes agent, counteragent, miner, mechanic and pilot by the end of the show and that he gets hit in the balls several times in the opening few episodes he's probably manlier than many in some regards.

I can absolutely see (and agree with) the argument that the female characters are more active and important in the plot, and that Gym and Corin are traditionally male assholes but your post seems to have taken a lot of things in the show up to eleventy hundred to prove a point that I don't think the show itself was ever trying to make.

tsob fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 23, 2018

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
In Victory definitely, maybe Brain Powerd too going from what I've heard about it, but I don't think there's anything particularly egregious about his portrayal of women in 0079, Ideon, Zeta, Xabungle, F91, King Gainer or G-Reco. Even in Victory there's also Uso losing his innocence and possibly his values because of the war, and women like Katejina or Faula who were never notably compassionate that drive conflict.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Neither Katejina or Fuala started out as compassionate though. One of Katejina's first thoughts is that the residents of Kasseralia deserved to die for some petty reason. Again, Victory definitely is odd about women, but Turn-A isn't Victory.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Willias posted:

Hiro’s problem is that he lacks any sort of attraction to his co-pilot. Hence 02’s teasing that perverts make better pilots.

Why does Hiro know what a pervert is? Or care that 02 sees him as one? They aren't even aware of kissing, but want to avoid being accused of perving.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Endorph posted:

I mean, it's 26 episodes, it can afford to take the first few episodes to build some mood and curiosity. I think leaping too fast into explanations would ruin some of the mystery.

Mysteries only exist to be ruined, and personally I feel like Darling is hanging on to the mystery of why Hiro can pilot too long as is. It's not even a particularly exciting mystery, because we haven't been given any reason to care about Hiro beyond that he can pilot. So having why he can pilot be a mystery when the only investment going in is that he can pilot just seems like bad setup to me.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Have they said yet why Papa and by extension everyone else is so dead set against Hiro piloting with 02 despite her desire? They seem happy to keep feeding her random chumps as partners going by the mysterious group conversation where they decided to order her back, and they okay'd Mitsuru piloting with her despite her not actually wanting it initially but they seem absolutely against Hiro piloting in a way that just seems weird. Maybe it's been explained and I missed it, or maybe it will be explained in an episode or two if it's part of some plan about repressing her power or something but it just kind of annoyed me all episode long that Hiro and 02 obviously wanted to pilot together and the powers that be just kept saying no for no reason I can recall but were okay with almost any other alternative apparently.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

LostRook posted:

So at least two of the kids are gay now what with Ikuno's little thing this episode and Goro's in the last, right?

I suspect this may be another case of people reading too much in to little things and hoping for a twist that isn't coming. If for no other reason than it involves some plot contrivance to work out. If one pilot were to be gay then they would have no-one to partner with and their old partner would be left with no-one either, so at least two pilots would have to be gay for each other really. And if two pilots are gay for each other, then that means there's two non-gay pilots left over who have no-one to pilot with unless the show introduces two more new secondary characters. Barring that, which isn't likely since the show already has 8 secondary characters which seems like enough to fill out the show beyond tertiary allies and villains, then that would mean that there would need to be two gay boys and two gay girls attracted to each other; or else that two gay people of the same gender would need to be killed in rapid succession while their partners are left alive and come together. It just seems a little complicated for a show that's already laid out that the real power of a FranXX is drawn out when an X and a Y join together. Not when two letters join together. Laying that on thick at the start of the show and then half the FranXX be used by gay couples seems unlikely.

tsob fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 4, 2018

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Why would the robots have opinions on things given they only exhibit life or personality when someone is piloting them? Why would their opinion over-ride the numbers issues even if they had an opinion? Why would Papa care about the sexuality of the pairings if leaving the robots to choose meant having more units in the field?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Zark the Damned posted:

Alternate plot twist: There's actually nothing special about Hiro physically. The reason he doesn't get drained by 02 is simply that she likes him and hates all the other men who've piloted her, so she kills them (either deliberately or subconsciously).

Wait...is this not the working theory, given how, as DisDisDis noted, the emotional connection between the partners is being highlighted as mega important?

I mean, let's look at when things have gone wrong for various people. Hiro and Ichigo's connection broke when he was just trying to pilot with someone, anyone to prove himself and she was trying to force an emotional connection that obviously wasn't there in the first place, Miku and Zorome's broke because he told her he'd prefer to be piloting someone else mid connection and 02 was fine with piloting alongside Mitsuru for a time until Mitsuru implied he was better than Hiro and then she left him an emotional mess. The mental connection is much more important than the physical one by what we've seen.

Kanos posted:

He didn't really pilot with her in episode 1; that was the core of his insecurity about himself and Mitsuru being a dickhead to him. He was present in the cockpit while she did the thing but the only one 100% saying that he "piloted" was 02 herself. This matters because the people who make decisions didn't agree with her assertion that he was capable of piloting with her and they have all of the data to make decisions with. They went "oh, that's potentially interesting", but it wasn't until this episode where they went "yeah this changes everything, he can actually pilot with her for real".

Even if they weren't sure he did, testing the theory would seem appropriate and they certainly had enough time in the last two episodes to do it at some point. Instead they just point blank refuse to let him try and pilot with her, but are perfectly fine with her piloting alongside Mitsuru despite her obviously not giving a single poo poo about him. If there isn't some kind of ploy at work to suppress her true power by only using inefficient pilots or something it'll be very weird.

tsob fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 4, 2018

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Zark the Damned posted:

I mean, why else keep him around without a partner? They ditched Naomi after their failed test, so why keep Hiro? Is it just because he has a low number and Naomi had a high one (703, the highest of the group) and they were hoping to find someone else compatible to pair him up with later?

I'm assuming they thought or knew that she was the problem and not him, which we can kind of imply since if I recall when he was test piloting with Ichigo his meter went straight to 100% before plummeting afterward. They might know he has a lot of potential based on things like that but just not know how to unlock it. In which case their refusal is even dumber.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
If that were true he'd probably be 01, not 016. As is, I'm assuming 01 will be a future rival of Hiros in some fashion, and probably someone 02 is completely disinterested in despite the adjacent numbering; in the same way Hiro is a friend to but not romantically interested in Ichigo at all despite their numbers being adjacent.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Given the dismal numbering of some of the secondary cast I'd assume that the overseers have to be numbering them based on something inaccurate at the least, and that Zorome for instance will end up closer to 6 than 666. I'd say the numbers are probably just going to be irrelevant though, and an attempt to rank individual pilots when what'll prove more important is the bond between couples who choose each other. So 02 and 016 will be more powerful than 01 and 03 or whatever because 02 and 016 choose each other and have a genuine bond, rather than the artificial, forced relationship for the apparently stronger groups Papa selects.

As such, I do think it likely the secondary cast will revolve their robot pairings around a bit to find happiness, I just don't think the system (or the creators, whichever you prefer to think of it as) will be sexually open enough to have gay couples simply because the basic tenet of the show seems to be shooting for heterosexuaity only and the cockpit system doesn't seem like something with enough latitude to accommodate gay couples (or at least, not lesbians) as well as the production issues I mentioned probably disbarring it earlier.

tsob fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 4, 2018

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Crabtree posted:

Oh yeah, this show is hopefully going to go the route of championing pure mutual and consensual love over forcing the best traits and his One True Pairings that papa ships into his god journal, but I'm also still seeing the possibility that Hiro is the potential Lady Killer to 002's Man Eater. However, Hiro not only seems to be a little bit sexually confused, but in general a very late bloomer to act on that potential so he ends up being this doofy and sweet cinnamon-bun too pure to ride these girls and that sets off 002's sweet tooth something fierce.

Ichigo likes him, 002 loves him, Naomi liked him in an unrequited way, Nana and maybe even Papa love the Hiro too. But he just won't act on it, goddamn it! So Papa just keeps trying to rejigger the pairing chart trying to find something for Hiro and then 002 just goes against protocol and worst still, they actually make a goddamn great pair.

I think this is still basing the pilot connection and ranking on a somewhat flawed set of assumptions. 02 is a really headstrong girl who longs for personal freedom and validation; at least one of which Hiro is willing to offer her while everyone else either wants to control her or is afraid of her, if not both. Her physically wearing out partners after only a couple of sessions appears to basically be visual shorthand for their fear of and lack of ability to emotionally keep up with her. Hiro seems to have had much the same problem, and while he wasn't "killing" partners, he was definitely failing to connect with them emotionally and leaving them behind because of it -- even though it appeared like they were leaving him behind. Naomi seems to have tried to connect with him but just been incapable of keeping up with his free spirit and become worn out by the effort, while Ichigo tried forcing a connection and was left embarrassed by the effort.

I suppose you could view that as them being man eaters and lady killers respectively, but it looks more like they are simply more assertive and emotionally stable than their peers despite the dystopian and authoritarian society that's repressing and loving up everyone else rather than that they are specifically trying to use up people or anything. And yea, I get that calling Hiro assertive after the last 4 episodes is weird, but I guess I mean he's more socially than personally assertive with things like coming up with names for everyone when they're supposed to just have code numbers and apparently trying to make their group connect rather than just work together. The problem isn't so much the two of them, it's everyone else and that the two of them are actually quite decent people in some ways while everyone else is more a product of their hosed up society, with those products having issues because of said society. At least as far as I can tell at least.

Kanos posted:

Given that no one has climbed into a franxx with 02 for more than three times without dying(and her first copilot that we saw was on death's door before round 3), "testing" with 02 involved involves potentially burning valuable resources because she's going to murder her copilot. Hiro is regarded as enough of a potential asset that he's allowed to stick around despite failing his test and his partner washing out. I could see a conservative ruling body making decisions based only on the data they receive deciding that a weird coincidence(Hiro "piloting" successfully while unconscious and not getting hosed up) isn't enough to warrant risking mangling a pilot who could be useful later on.

That's actually a decent possible explanation. If it were just that though then I really wish the shadowy council had said so at some point, since it's not spoiling any future plot lines or anything to include it and doing so would have made their constant cockblocking at least a little more tolerable and understandable.

Kanos posted:

I think this is kind of unfair to Hiro after this episode, since he's gotten some characterization and he's also not a complete limp noodle doormat. The other boys are also extremely one note so far; you've got The Nice Fat Kid, The Arrogant rear end in a top hat Short Kid, The Other Arrogant rear end in a top hat, and Goro.

I think it's unfair just because as this episode shows, once Hiro has his confidence he's pretty hotblooded and seems to like doing gutsy but possibly dumb things. Whether that'll carry over to more than one battle is another thing really, but there's definitely some potential there and that could be what 02 sensed when she said he tasted of danger.

DisDisDis posted:

what's specifically untenable about lesbians it's a very blunt sex metaphor they're not literally sticking the dick in to pilot

The very fact that it's all a blunt metaphor that appears to be based on penetrative sex given Hiro's talk about "going deeper" and all, plus the neural connection between the pilots would suggest there's more than some handholds connecting them.

tsob fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 4, 2018

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Ranzear posted:

I just think Ichigo is an upper-seat kind of girl, so now I'm worried for Goro.

If 02 isn't an upper seat girl I don't really see why anyone else would be. Especially when Ichigo doesn't seem to be a natural leader and appears to only be doing it out of obligation.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Crabtree posted:

Nah, I'll give you that Hiro has a knack for socializing, but I still think that despite his frustration and possible depression from not keeping up with the rest of the birdcage combat wise, there is some value that the show hasn't revealed yet to him otherwise why keep a bird that can't fly?

Just because they think he has a combat value (probably) based on the fact his numbers only bottom out after first maxing doesn't mean he has whatever combat value they think he will. His actual value seems to be that he's a creative and daring combatant who'll try things like rushing through the interior of a giant worm Klaxosaur where everyone else (bar 02) just thought the task of finding it's core impossible, and that he carries that creativity over to non-combat roles while socializing with others. Other than that his value seems to be an emotional connection with 02 based on seeing her as human and wanting freedom too, rather than some kind of physical one that makes him an inherently special pilot or combatant.

Crabtree posted:

If 002 sees him as a means to escape than that's all a darling really is and she could just leave him after he serves that purpose.

If all she saw in him was a means to freedom, then she'd have no reason to ask if he wants it in the first place and would just force it to happen. Actually, if all she wanted was to escape then she could could have done it at any time really, since her male partners before Hiro were helpless when she went buckwild in the cockpit apparently. They needed to be carried out on stretchers, which isn't exactly conducive to stopping her.

Crabtree posted:

The numbers is just bullshit the society came up with so I'm not expecting them to be real power levels nonsense or whatever, but more that if he was the kind of assertive 002 is, he'd at least have the kind of combat performance the little dystopia cares for. And if the girl can kill the rider, It isn't that much of a stretch to assume that the opposite can occur and a rider can use up the girl and cast her aside.

I don't see why a guy couldn't similarly kill a girl partner, but just because that's one possible avenue for destroying a partnership doesn't mean it's the only way it could happen.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

1) The APEs declaring every mech needs One Boy and One Girl to pilot.

Did they? I thought only Dr. Franxx said it? And that he wasn't an APE given he's not included (so far as we know) in the shady meetings or wearing a similar outfit to them. Even then, I don't recall him saying that a mech needs a boy and a girl to pilot, only that the true power of a FranXX is released when a X and Y combine.

chiasaur11 posted:

And with how IBO ended, it's not like it'd be making unprecedented plays for a mech anime.

There were gay and lesbian couples in mecha shows, including pilots, well before Iron Blood Orphans. The previously mentioned Godannar from 2003 being perhaps the most obvious example. Even recently Sunrise had Cross Ange, which was basically all about lesbian mech pilots. It's not like they're the first gay people in Gundam either, since Guin Sard Lineford from Turn-A is pretty obviously gay and that aired in 2000; IBO just had the first official gay couple in a Gundam show. Official being the operative word, because Quatre and Trowa came across as very gay in Wing, back in 1995 and fans have been assuming them as such for the two decades since.

tsob fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 5, 2018

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Darling in the FranXX is an artsy anime? Don't get me wrong, I'd classify all anime as art; I just think artsy is more specific and not really descriptive of Darling in the FranXX, which seems more straight forward in it's intentions and presentation than artsy would suggest.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I wouldn't say so. FLCL tends to be a bit more oblique in it's presentation and it's animation is more stylized as well. It took chances by including stuff that might not have an obvious read. If I recall, FLCL has a section where it cuts to the main cast sat in a trailer like they're actors between takes on a set. I don't see Darling ever having something akin to that.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Mister Olympus posted:

It's less that it needs it and more that it felt like it was teasing it at points then pulled out

Teasing is in the eye of the beholder though, and can be read completely innocently another way. Like, yea Ikuno touching her shoulder means she's thinking of Ichigo. It could be read entirely innocently as just her recalling Ichigo's advice and sentiment, that she has to think of the team etc. though

Darth Walrus posted:

I think part of it is that FranXX has a far more up-front dystopian vibe than Aquarion, so we’re much more encouraged to question the core assumptions of the setting, and enforced heterosexuality is one of the biggest core assumptions.

Than Evol sure. Genesis is pretty much the same though, maybe worse in some ways, since Genesis starts with kids scrounging around a dead city located in the middle of a wild expanse, with the enemy monsters basically having free reign to take people as they wish from what I recall. Even when the hero is recruited for the Aquarion program, their base city is in a pretty wild and uninhabited area, where the Plantations seem to have a network set up and we see multiple domes regularly.

tsob fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Mister Olympus posted:

Repeating myself from a few posts back but I mainly meant how episode 2 presented things with the perpetually angry fuckboy's hiro-centered frustration. Especially given the show hasn't had a chance to swerve on Ikuno either

Which can be read as him being jealous of Hiro's position (i.e. his number), which seems to be a lot better than Zorome's own. Which wouldn't be helped by the system not only accepting Hiro loving up and washing out but giving him time and multiple chances to wash back in. Something that's not normal going by their treatment of Naomi.

• Locked thread