Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is Trigger's best previous anime
Kill La Kill
When Supernatural Battles become commenplace
Kiznaiver
Little Witch Academia
Gurren Lagann*
Panty and Stocking*
Space Patrol Luluculo
Goku
View Results

• Locked thread
There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

This was actually a really good episode. I kinda expected it to quadruple down on the trashy elements, but instead it went all in on the character development and interpersonal interactions. Maybe it won't be a pile of garbage when all is done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Grouchio posted:

I don't think Hiro is going to die next episode. One one hand, without the main protagonist what would the show do for the next 18 episodes? On another hand, Hiro would otherwise turn into a Blue Oni and surpass the three-ride rule.

I'm predicting this as well. I think Hiro is going to become progressively less human and 02 is going to become more...empathetic, at least.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Lurking Haro posted:

Yeah, Blue Oni is a probable result, though I don't think they'll make him lose his humanity.
He isn't that much of a saint that it would be effective.

Now do parasites expire, never grow up or fight till they die?

I bet they and their Franxx turn into Klaxosaurs, somehow

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

RME posted:

why are posters like this

Like what? Pleasantly surprised that the show with butt handles developed depth instead of more butt handles?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

RME posted:

this show's had great character moments, interactions, and cool animations since episode 1 and then you act surprised it goes somewhere with that?

but there's also sexual imagery and it just becomes instant trash that can go nowhere and is infact, bound to go nowhere and just revelling in it, providing nothing of worth

Have you seen Kado? That show was consistently good and then totally went off a cliff with the last couple episodes. I'm not saying a show has to be either great or terrible, but I don't see anything wrong with saying, "Oh hey, they took a good direction I wasn't expecting. It looks like they're trying to tell a deeper story here."

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Diabetes Forecast posted:

I haven't watched the ep yet but here's the almost finished picture. hopefully the show isn't bad again when I watch it.

This is great! I like the little tie.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Man, Goro's a swell guy :unsmith:

Something I noticed near the end of the episode was how Ichigo and Goro had no idea how to handle the emotions they were currently feeling, which I thought was a nice touch to add to the whole "these kids aren't taught anything about love or intimacy and are only expected to fight" thing. Really shows how kinda hosed up their upbringing is when they can't even recognize basic things like having feelings for one another

Yeah, they even ritualistically exclude them from interactions with other human beings. If you notice during the ceremony, they are the only people with their faces exposed. Other than the other parasites, Papa and Mama are probably the only people they know.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

AnacondaHL posted:

Possible, but unlikely. The simplest answer still seems to work here: that calling them "penis" and "vagina" may have been a bit crude.

Still less crude than butt handles though.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I really like Ichigo's shift in facial expressions at the end. It really underscores how much she cares about Hiro.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Priestly posted:

For a split second, yeah.

Uh...What's up with the creepy triplets in back with muzzles?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Lurking Haro posted:

Credits list him as 9'α. I wonder who 9 iota is.

It's probably a different designation for 02 when she was with a different team. I'm betting they're all experimental part-humans of some sort.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Seems like alot of people are reading it as that.
That said, the show STILL hasn't made note of why the 0 morphs to a 7 momentarily in the regular opening. I wanna know what that poo poo is about.

Maybe there's some kind of 0 7 Japanese wordplay going on with the characters?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I still don't really care for 02 and Hiro's dynamic so far.

He definitely puts her on a pedestal. Hopefully she learns to actually appreciate him at some point, and he gains a more nuanced perspective toward her.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Kanos posted:

This is all pretty valid. Aside from the mass production robots having a really cool team attack strategy(that they displayed in identical fashion several times) and aside from Strelizia's shenanigans, the protagonist robots have done pretty much nothing besides get thrown around and their big moments have consisted of "stab monster with spears to hold it down for Strelizia's monstrous power to finish the job". This makes sense plot-wise(they're all useless green rookies and Strelizia's "core" is a superhuman veteran), but it's not something that will remain acceptable forever if the choreography is going to remain interesting. They also take a lot of shortcuts with animating members of the squad that aren't Strelizia or Delphinium. The especially egregious moment in this episode was when they went "We've got to stop it from transforming so Strelizia can kill it!", they are all shown dashing in....and then it jump cuts to still frames of them holding open various parts of the klaxosaur, instead of actually animating them doing that, with only Delphinium actually receiving animation(her straining to hold her part open followed by yelling for Hiro and 02).

I noticed this too, and I usually never notice animation issues. There are few shots of the mecha actually in action, so you can't really follow the progress of the fighting very well. They only showed a handful of klaxosaurs actually in combat when I think there were many more.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Endorph posted:

there's a two episode long fight scene in a denny's parking lot

What else would you do at a Denny's? Seems redundant.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Arghhh the interruption before the confession trope was used 3 times and it's really irritating.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

a kitten posted:

Promises involving the future, shooting star motif....oh god everyone's gonna die

Those shooting stars were klaxosaur eggs landing on Earth

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Guy Goodbody posted:

The book was called "Your First Baby", right? So it could easily be for couples trying to have a baby, as opposed to just a pregnancy guide.

"Insert peg A into slot B, NOT C."

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

50 seconds into the new episode

What the gently caress?

e: Okay that ended up okay I guess. This show is still tonally weird so far.

There Bias Two fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 3, 2018

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

sockpuppetclock posted:

The triple threat of rap battle music out of loving nowhere, the acid conveniently melting away the girl's clothes, and then literally the loving "this is our side" trope almost actually killed me.

Also the gay one being like, "Hey this isn't so bad ya'll, right?"

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

dogsicle posted:

this rap is loving awful

Honestly, I paused the show because I thought I had some lovely ad playing in the background at first.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

The_White_Crane posted:

I loved that shot so much, because it happened shortly after I'd been thinking "you know, this scene happens a lot and they always throw more stuff than they should realistically have to hand".

Well the dining room was off-limits, so maybe they ate their meals in the bath. It'd explain all the bowls.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I'm definitely expecting the robots to combine before the end of the show.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Hodgepodge posted:

Taking bets now on what they call what is totally not the illegal party drug "Molly."

Naomi

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Gif of the season.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

The thought that Kim Kardashian is a giant weeb behind closed doors is hilarious and very humanizing.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Willias posted:

what if dr. franxx is actually from kill la kill and is ryukos dad and 02 is ryuko

02 can't be ryuko because she doesn't have any suspenders.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I'm guessing this whole experiment is about love reinforcing the bonds between the pilots, driving them to go the extra mile for one another.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Kyte posted:

I don't think she friendzoned him, she just needs to sort her own feelings out. It's pretty clear she's not nearly as well put together as Goro.

I think Goro is almost too well put together.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

What if everything is exactly as it appears to be?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

So if Grandma is any indication, whatever is left of humanity are mostly emotionless husks who no longer enjoy life. Also, one of the staffers who came to pick up Zorome handed her a new heart-shaped magma(?) pack, possibly because she came into contact with him. I think this is probably a device used for warding off infection. Perhaps they are immortal? I think we're definitely dealing with a trans-human setting here.

That meter they're using on Zorome says 3.74x10^04 CFUs.

CFUs are colony-forming units, so it's likely that they are measuring the spread of his Klaxosaur infection. Apparently all the kids are infected to some degree and therefore won't become adults.

EDIT: Going back to the magma heart thing, remember Hiro's infection started over his heart. So maybe most of the people have had their hearts replaced to avoid infection... It'd also explain why the medical tech wouldn't work on Zorome except for the "pet setting" -- because he's fully organic.

There Bias Two fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 17, 2018

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't imagine he is doing anything. From the sound of it the machine was just activating the pleasure center of his brain.

Ugh, just imagine interfacing with a device for hours on end that did nothing but make your brain feel meaninglessly satisfied...

Ah poo poo.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Crasical posted:

Or it might be reversed. Klaxosaur are tied into magma energy, so it might be that Adults are semi-immortal due to klaxosaur genetic splicing and the magma hearts keep everyone in the city living forever. The Parasites, being disposable, aren't modified to live forever, just spawned and killed repeatedly in defense of the city.

But in what sense are the children infected then?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Guy Goodbody posted:

From the squad we saw I think most squads are just emotionless boring people, like the old lady. 13 is a pet project by Papa, and there's those 9s who are weird in some specific way

I'm going to take a guess and say that whatever process saved them from klaxosaur infection also destroyed their ability to be emotional.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Wow, they really handle the character development well.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

did they just... are Mitsuru and the other girl actually gay??
I mean, neat if true, but I wasn't expecting them to really try to hint anything about it until later.

They hinted at it a bunch of times in past episodes. Check them out again and you'll probably spot it.

Kanos posted:

I knew Mitsuru was actually a good boy.

I've gained enough respect for how this show is portraying things that I'd like to believe they wouldn't do that. Mitsuru certainly doesn't seem to feel the same way about Kokoro that Futoshi does despite Kokoro lavishing him with attention in comparison, and Ikuno always appears clinically detached and all business and the only time she ever shows emotion is when Ichigo is involved. It looks like part of what they're trying to establish here is that there's no rule saying that the one you pilot with has to be the one that you care about the most, because that's clearly the case with both Ikuno and Mitsuru and now Futoshi.

This is really interesting, because if you think of the piloting pairs as relationships, the show is really refuting the idea that a marriage should be the strongest relationship in your life, or at least one that is solidly founded on romantic love.

There Bias Two fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 24, 2018

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Mokinokaro posted:

So, pretty obvious the Franxx are actually made from klaxxosaurs and the girls are overriding the things' brains, right?

They probably replaced the core with the cockpit somehow.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Kanos posted:

I'm kind of getting this vibe too. Especially with the way they're portraying 02's cavalier behavior in such a negative light and how she's refusing to open up to Hiro at all despite her continual insistence that they're lovers and he's her darling and how they'll be together forever until they die. Hiro's startled reaction when she said the latter was very interesting indeed; he didn't look pleased at all.

She's been the assertive one in all their interactions so far, but I wonder if we'll start to see him become dissatisfied with her selfish behavior.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Condiv posted:

what's the deal with the child fever they brought up in this episode too?

It's probably something similar to what Hiro went through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Maybe all this partner swapping is setting things up for unlocking Franxx fusions. We did see that Klaxosaurs can combine and the robots seem to be similar.

• Locked thread