Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is Trigger's best previous anime
Kill La Kill
When Supernatural Battles become commenplace
Kiznaiver
Little Witch Academia
Gurren Lagann*
Panty and Stocking*
Space Patrol Luluculo
Goku
View Results

• Locked thread
Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Hargrimm posted:

I wonder what the girl named Ichigo's number is

I hope her partner Is 064, just for the pun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

dogsicle posted:

the guys' uniforms have a y-shaped tie, the girls' uniforms have an x-shaped tie

Fuuuuuck.
I did notice the pilot suits look like wedding garments, though.

So the XX in FRANXX refers to the female look of the robots?

Now the cockpit just has to become a womb.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Desuwa posted:

I'm kinda lukewarm on this. The MC is a generic mopey kid and 002 just throws herself at him. I felt like the sex metaphors got pushed too far and had some really obvious and discomforting implications that I hope I'm just reading too much into.

Took a look at the manga, which is running concurrently, and the cockpit design actually grosses me out a fair bit. It looks degrading, like something out of an adult parody of a mecha show instead of an actual TV anime.

So Kentaro Yabuki is a good fit.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief posted:

The glimpse of the way the cockpits are laid out in that preview... I... hate it.

Literal love handles.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy0TfoDlkSQ

How the gently caress is this already out? We don't even have a TV version. This is so weird.

Distribution of the song started today.
The website also mentions Ending song collections, so there might be several versions?

-e-
Yup, Ending Collection vol. 1 on sale March 28th, vol. 2 on June 27th.

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 19, 2018

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Surprise, the series takes place in post-apocalyptic Japan, with Plantation 13 in Chiba and Plantation 26 is right next to the Fukushima Nuclear Plant

Hiro doing a Shinji pulling the handles and the impotence/underperformance innuendos, oh boy.

-e-
Hiro is a Maguro and only 002 knows how to push his buttons.

I also expect the leading cast to be demons themselves since they were so worried about her racial purity.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

That was really the stupidest part of the episode. The loving training cockpit has a girls butt in it. How would a girls training cockpit even work?

The training robot is a masturbation allegory with a fleshlight butt.
Girls get to ride a pillow or something.
The robots are mind-controlled in the end.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

skasion posted:

Fire up those theories

Counter theory:
02 inadvertently sucks the youth out of her partners and stays young, unlike Dr. Franxx.
Ergo, both are old. Hiro is such a wet blanket that there is nothing to extract.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Eej posted:

Oh yeah wixoss was sick

On the other hand apparently the naked mouth fishing scene in the Manga version lovingly draws 02's vagina's reflection in the water droplets around her so the artist doesn't have to censor it so that's even more blatant I guess

That's just Yabuki doing his thing.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Probably a helpful thread for future show discussion - long story short, Trigger isn’t heavily involved in this show outside of design and animation, and all the writing is from A1’s end. So at the very least, predicting how this will go based on Trigger’s past output is unlikely to be too useful.

https://twitter.com/vermillionair3/status/955077081414668289

We still have Gridman and Promare left.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Droyer posted:

Just as an aside I doubt this is gonna happen because in ep 1 Strelizia talked with zero two's voice.

I don't know what the voice has to say since everyone took a turn talking last episode and Hiro most likely wasn't conscious during his first ride.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Droyer posted:

What I meant was that since the girls become the robots they speak with the robots' faces, whereas the boys speak through radio or something. In ep 1 strelizia spoke and zero two's voice came out, implying she became the robot like the other girls did.

Ok, that might indicate that Hiro's and 02's relationship isn't just reverse.
In the same vein, once the girls are fully connected, they themselves don't speak anymore, but the Franxx' face is shown on the screen instead, even when talking with their partners.

GorfZaplen posted:

This show has a lot of individual elements I like but they haven't come together for me yet.

The boys can talk through the robots too, as shown in this episode

Only the girls actual make the mouth move.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Those golden barcodes the kids have on their necks are also on the Oni kid's ankle with 002 written on it.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Futaba Anzu posted:

does anyone know who composed the op btw it's a real banger

i really like the part in the song where it syncs and she says darling

It's HYDE. It also really sounds like it.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Ranzear posted:

Oni is just a general demon, Succubus is a subclass of demon.

Everything about succubus mythos fits though. They copulate with men in their sleep (Hiro was unconscious eh), and repeated contact can result in poor health or even death.

If there ends up being four like her in total, or even if the other three are regular Klaxosaurs and she's Lilith, we're back to that Kabbalistic Eva poo poo again.

Japanese folklore has a lot of stuff, but an Oni is most similar to an ogre. They are most famous for being strong besides being horned and skin colors like red or blue.
Succubus are known as Inma in Japanese.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

I guess this sorta solves the mystery of how 002 is normally handled. i.e. like a wild bull. As for how her and Hiro drive it, it's still a mystery.

This 4koma makes me fear Hiro isn't a peg boy after all and is simply only challenged by rough sexpiloting :(
He goes in fully prepared and then goes halfmast

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

I don't think anybody has mentioned arranged marriages yet. Which basically happened in episode 1.

Diabetes Forecast posted:

https://twitter.com/uma_no_suke/status/959735041445150720

I'm glad i'm not the only person who immediately thought the two shows had VERY similiar mechanical design.

I have to finish Gad Guard some day. I was really into the protagonist's scooter for some reason.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

From what I know it's the same designer for Gad Guard too. The guy's style is unmistakable, and frankly his work (especially the piercing eyes he does) heavily influenced my art over the years.

Unless he worked under a pseudonym, he wasn't involved.
The first credit I can find for him is actually Eureka Seven, so maybe Gad Guard influenced him.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

tsob posted:

Seriously? Wow, industry hit it hard so obviously. Has that been said in show and I just missed it or something?

There was a map when they discussed meeting up with another plantation ("kissing") showing the coastline from Tokyo to Fukushima.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Zark the Damned posted:

In battle they'd refer to each other by the name of the FranXX they are piloting. Pretty sure we've already seen that with the main cast?

It's also possible that the nines aren't a combat unit as such, more a collection of trouble shooters who act individually, therefore wouldn't need to talk to each other in battle. Which would make sense given that 002 was pulled back on her own for the ceremony in ep 1.

Furthermore, maybe as an elite unit they'd be granted names or at least callsigns? We know that not everyone in the hosed up society is referred to by numbers (Papa, Dr FranXX, Nana and Hachi). Possibly the reason 002 hasn't been named despite being elite is because the higher ups think of her as just a monster due to being not 100% human.

To be fair this is all speculation, we're only 4 episodes in.

Nana and Hachi are just 7 and 8 respectively and Doctor Franxx might just be named after the Franxx.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Depends how far and how fast the Strellizia can fly, I guess. Maybe the rest of the world is less poo poo than Japan?

They are right next to the coast, yet 02 has never seen the ocean. Earth is hosed. Best luck would be finding another nation not as uptight.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Grouchio posted:

I don't think Hiro is going to die next episode. One one hand, without the main protagonist what would the show do for the next 18 episodes? On another hand, Hiro would otherwise turn into a Blue Oni and surpass the three-ride rule.

There Bias Two posted:

I'm predicting this as well. I think Hiro is going to become progressively less human and 02 is going to become more...empathetic, at least.

Yeah, Blue Oni is a probable result, though I don't think they'll make him lose his humanity.
He isn't that much of a saint that it would be effective.

Now do parasites expire, never grow up or fight till they die?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Iretep posted:

It just seems to be a thing some shows do. I remember The Tower of Druaga did the same thing.

Eureka Seven also did this.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Understanding posted:

also, is anyone going to say anything about Zorome's question?

I did?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Preview for EP6 has a boss round in Revenge of the Titans, plain Franxx and is titled Darling in the Franxx. Now if this won't get things started.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Grouchio posted:

Whoever he is. Was he in the OP?

Credits list him as 9'α. I wonder who 9 iota is.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Seems like alot of people are reading it as that.
That said, the show STILL hasn't made note of why the 0 morphs to a 7 momentarily in the regular opening. I wanna know what that poo poo is about.

You are reading too much into that "7".
That's just the distortion effect everything has forming a 7 in the negative space.

I noticed this episode that Strelitzia's spear is connected to her back and the panels on the cockpit look like teeth.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Ranzear posted:

They still have two episodes to figure out who they're gonna kill off.

Goro has the biggest red flag so far.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

So the ocean still exists, but it's this warm even though it's winter.

Good thing Kokoro picked up the easy to understand, illustrated guide to childbirth.

This whole trip is all just a ploy by Doctor Franxx for the kids to experience youth (and boost their horniness)

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

So who do we think will be dying first? My moneys on Zorome with all if his Nakama talk.

Lots of death flags being raised in this episode.

Still thinking Goro.
Zorome's Believe has to be shattered first before he can die.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

The_White_Crane posted:

The important question no-one has been asking:
Why do the girls get three different swimsuit options but the guys all get the same shorts?
Where are the sexy briefs? Where are the full length leggings? Huh? Answer me that, Papa!

They are from the private collection of Dr. Franxx.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Nuebot posted:

Maybe they're just sexless flesh blobs shaped like people.

Yabuki will draw them anyway.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

So what Franxx would Hiro and Naomi have used hadn't they failed the tests? Is there a spare lying around or did it fall into the same plothole as Naomi?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Crasical posted:

My personal theory is that the more-oni-ish character in the very first episode (The one during the narration about the one-winged bird) isn't 02.
She's got very long, WHITE hair instead of 02's pink hair, her horns are much longer, she has bloodred skin and claws, and bleeds blue klaxosaur blood (02 as far as I can tell bleeds red).

So, that character is probably 02's mother, and for lack of a better candidate, Dr. Franxx is her father.

She is 002, she has the same parasite code on her ankle. Of course she could be another 002 as we don't really know what determines one's number.

New idea for parasite numbers:
They are all frozen test tube babies and lower numbers have less genetic defects or were made earlier. The Nine series might be multiples or share identical parents.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

I think it's clear to say that Ichigo sees Hiro more like a big brother and Goro as a childhood friend.

Weird how they are called Klaxosaurs, but every class looks anything but like a dinosaur.
The excavation features make me think the Klaxosaurs are biomachines made to harvest that magma energy, going rampant.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

D-did I say something redundant? :ohdear:

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

This also clears up that 02 is 9 iota.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Reasons why I think 02 is 9 iota:
There isn't a 0 in front of 9'α and 9 iota, so it is more likely to be a squad designation among the Nines instead of a code number and Hiro secretly being a lower number to explain why he is special is kind of lazy writing. 02 and Hiro are compatible on a personal level, if being a Nine is already enough to survive 02, why did they assign her others?
9'α most likely would comment about 02 getting along with someone instead about Hiro, knowing about his "secret identity".
02's code number didn't change, yet she was called a former Nine, which reinforces that 9 iota is a squad designation of which Hiro never was a part of.

02 had fangs at least since she went berserk during the third ride in episode 6. She was described as having fangs and horns in the rumors Zorome heard in episode 1.

While checking the Darli-Fra website, they explained under keywords that Konrad, Mohorovicic and Gutenberg class only describe the size of a Klaxosaur, not a specific type.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Eela6 posted:

i'm starting to get tired of this gimmick

Dick Spacious is a horny weatherman. We know Yabuki will draw boobs just like the sun will rise, but he makes a science out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Zark the Damned posted:

Watching ep 10 again, unpacked a few more things from it (I'm sure some of this has been discussed above).

I reckon _everyone_ is a test tube baby other than the adults, who live forever due to the heart pack things. With the downside that they lose their senses, e.g. taste, become largely emotionally blank, and have weak immune systems so have to disinfect everything, especially after being in contact with the 'infected' children (this could mean they are simply tainted by living outside or have been purposefully infected with something to make them parasites). Also they can't have children themselves, hence the line about romantic partners being an old tradition used for procreation and largely outdated.

Adults in this case being just the people in the city, who wear the big hats to hide their features. Nana and Hachi aren't 'adults' in this sense as they live outside the city and have regular contact with the outside world.

Likely everyone who isn't one of the original adults, like the guards and other workers outside the city, are bred for purpose. The pilots are raised to believe themselves to be orphans and they they will one day grow up as a morale / control thing, but only Zorome seems to have taken it especially to heart. The other members of squad 13 don't really believe they'll ever become adults. Whether this is because most pilots die young or part of their genetic setup gives them short lifespans or whatever is currently up for debate.

Adult and Child are written in Katakana (think writing them in caps), so using those terms to differentiate between two classes or even sub-species is very much possible. I'd prefer it over the kids having short lives. 081, who piloted with 02 in episode one looked the same age as Hachi and Nana.

The website explains the terms as what humanity has evolved into.

• Locked thread