Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is Trigger's best previous anime
Kill La Kill
When Supernatural Battles become commenplace
Kiznaiver
Little Witch Academia
Gurren Lagann*
Panty and Stocking*
Space Patrol Luluculo
Goku
View Results

• Locked thread
darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
ninja slayer is legitimately the best trigger anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, he kind of literally does come from one of those.

People have a hard time picking up details that aren't directly stated on screen in the least subtle anime ever made, please be understanding.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

King Cohort posted:

I don't have much to say about the subtle-as-a-sledgehammer imagery and euphemisms

I do. I think the fact that they're being SO blatant about it that nobody can even dare say its just subtext or metaphor is interesting, because it lets them make a series that (hopfully) can address the effect of physical intimacy on teenage relationships, something that anime has a tendency to approach in pretty drat cartoony ways, without running directly in the massive truck full of unfortunate implications and ratings issues that would result from actually having a bunch of teenagers loving all the time.

Compare this with kiznaiver, which had its weird magic excuse for relationship connections be a little too symbolic and ended up being kind of a weird confusing mess. Having it be so blatant could work out in a novel way AND give people lots of stuff to masturbate over (the one true value of anime).

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Endorph posted:

on the other hand utena had its sexual stuff be super blatant while also expressing it in funnier/more interesting ways than a guy humping a realdoll

utena was approaching relationships from the completely opposite angle. for one the stuff in this show appears to at least on some level be healthy, whereas literally nothing in utena was healthy for anyone involved also, utena was a show that had to wait almost 30 episodes and most of a recap episode to get any actual sex in, and even then it had to hide that poo poo under a lot of smoke and mirrors.

If you're gonna ask me if utena was better than this show two episodes in, absolutely, but I don't believe you can compare them at all beyond "thre's a lady with pink hair who disregards all the rules of this weirdly enclosed society of teenagers"

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

weird that people tripped over themselves to defend the fanservice in KLK yet treat the stuff here like the most heinous crime imaginable...general internet discourse observation

klk was about lesbians and satsuki had that one speech about how she doesn't care if people look at her, that makes me an ally when I masturbate to it

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Zwiebel posted:

episode 2 in particular has been so overbearingly and entirely focused about the not so subtle metaphorical erectile dysfunction of the male lead

I read it less as "he can't get it up" and more "she can't get it in", it would tie better into her struggling in pain to move with them connected, and the implication with his past partner being thrown out but he gets to stay because he has Awesome Protagonist Powers/Boner

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Understanding posted:

But the female pilot just bein an interface to jack into is the worst metaphor for a sexual awakening story. I would hope this story goes in the direction of more mutual control when piloting.

Did you miss the part where twintails girl got jealous that her partner wanted to pilot with another girl and their robot instantly broke down and stopped working?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

I like when this show does stuff with the framing, like the widescreen shots, half the screen cutting out during the "ntr" or the super focus on ichigos lips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

glasses girl seemed to be really into ichigo touching her shoulder, to the point where it seems like her trying to remember the sensation is what let her robot properly

those of you who are mad about this show being so hatefully heterosexual, maybe this will go where you want

• Locked thread