Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is Trigger's best previous anime
Kill La Kill
When Supernatural Battles become commenplace
Kiznaiver
Little Witch Academia
Gurren Lagann*
Panty and Stocking*
Space Patrol Luluculo
Goku
View Results

• Locked thread
RME
Feb 20, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

pilot the eva and french kiss your partner

or another couple will have to do it again

lol

Thor-Stryker posted:

If there's one thing that Trigger really loves, its euphemisms.

Even self reference can be considered mastubatory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Eela6 posted:

I can see why people are so ready to jump on it. When you deliverately echo the style and setup of Evangelion, you had better be ready for real criticism.

I guess my questions are:

1. What do you want?
2. What do you expect?
3. Is there anything wrong with playing the genre tropes straight :rimshot:, if they're done well?"

I think FranXX will be more ambitious than this, but I would be totally fine with 'lonely boy learns to love' if it's carried off with Trigger's characteristic style and panache.

I've only been back into anime for a couple years now, but honestly, I don't see a lot of Mecha shows with a focus on straight relationships around. Is there anything wrong with that?

For me, what I want is something along the lines of Gurren Lagann, something straightforward that that wears its heart on it's sleeve, with lots of rousing emotional moments punctuated by cool music and explosions.

1. Since it's only episode 1 instead of going what I want for the whole series I'll go with what I want in the immediate future: to see more of this hosed up order this world has. The one that's instilled such a rigid sense of utilitarianism in everyone and comically insidious manipulative adults and popeking father. and more of 02's eccentricness.
To break my promise i started out with, I also just kind of want it to be earnest and exciting.

2. I kind of expect this to follow a common framework in Trigger's past: kid(s) coming of age in an oppressive/overly orderly society and the appearance of the outsider who will start the gears of an upheavel and just keep the rising action going

3. Personally, i don't think so. If I end enjoying a show, or it has a large impact on me, but it didnt offer something innovative or break new grounds I can't really say that makes me enjoy something less. But on the other hand I think the bar kind of rises and what is considered "done well" can definitely become stricter, and not every work can just stick with convention either. But I think that shows that will want to explore something new will so as long as it doesn't get boring/stale/repetitive I'm not gonna arbitrate what has to bear that burden

RME
Feb 20, 2012

to put that last point another way:

I'd rather whoever is the creative force behind a project make the project they want to make, wether that's something daring or something that plays it safe. That won't absolve a work from being boring or stale if thats what it ends up doing, just like something shouldn't get a free pass just floundering around in the name of being different either. That's also not to say that there's no benefit in having a balancing force to reign someone, or that restrictions, wether self-imposed or from external pressure havent elevated works, but i think no matter what whoever is the creative force has to have their heart in it

RME
Feb 20, 2012

rip ichigo

RME
Feb 20, 2012

RME
Feb 20, 2012

im enjoying it
i like that the main group doesnt know what kissing is because theyve grown up a society that's entirely utilitarian

RME
Feb 20, 2012

please
the butts are handles
the consoles are on the back of their head

RME
Feb 20, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

couldn't resist

cool magic trick

RME
Feb 20, 2012

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Cronodoculous posted:

kiznaiver is an example of a show that's done an amazing job and is being recognized more and more, I notice

an amazing job of being a bad, boring show
looked nice tho

RME
Feb 20, 2012

people are way too concerned what’s trigger and what’s not

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Understanding posted:

People can argue the reason for the fanservice in KLK, FRANXX can't do that yet.

But given what we have, I hope it's a good one.

The society they live in is ultra utilitaryism focused and heavily oppressive and controlling. The main group of characters are dominated by the thought and need to be useful and contributing, either from instilled sense of value or the fact that the threat seems to be a thinly veiled death sentence.

To that end the society doesn’t even view sex the way we see it, it’s purely a means of preserving the human race (because it defeats giant sound dinosaurs, much like in real life of course). All the acts are fully practical. Despite the fact that characters have crushes on other people they don’t understand shows of affection, like kissing and flirting (explicitly they don’t know what kissing is and are confused by what the word dealing could even mean). The fanservice to us is juxtaposed against this because of how contrasting the viewer would see it

Altnernatively and also, they want to make a horny show, and that’s fine too.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

the robots should gently caress

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Zwiebel posted:

I haven't watched that many robot shows, so you'll have to forgive me for my ignorance.
I just haven't seen one that has been this blatant and lacking in merit outside of whatever sexual analogies the creators wanted to make.

Is this really that common?

Mecha is pretty common a vehicle (heh) for other themes that a show wants to explore. Not that there aren't shows that About The Robots or anything but you bet that sex is always something someone has wanted to explore

RME
Feb 20, 2012

the only way for their death to be in vain is to not be attached to them

RME
Feb 20, 2012

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Endorph posted:

alright, bro, grab my rear end and thrust your piloting essence into me. but dont be gay about it.

just bros being co's

RME
Feb 20, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

This was actually a really good episode. I kinda expected it to quadruple down on the trashy elements, but instead it went all in on the character development and interpersonal interactions. Maybe it won't be a pile of garbage when all is done.

why are posters like this

RME
Feb 20, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

Like what? Pleasantly surprised that the show with butt handles developed depth instead of more butt handles?

this show's had great character moments, interactions, and cool animations since episode 1 and then you act surprised it goes somewhere with that?

but there's also sexual imagery and it just becomes instant trash that can go nowhere and is infact, bound to go nowhere and just revelling in it, providing nothing of worth

RME
Feb 20, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

Have you seen Kado? That show was consistently good and then totally went off a cliff with the last couple episodes. I'm not saying a show has to be either great or terrible, but I don't see anything wrong with saying, "Oh hey, they took a good direction I wasn't expecting. It looks like they're trying to tell a deeper story here."

part of my point was this has been there since episode 1, so i disagree with this being a veer into a different direction

i've also not seen kado, but it strikes me as something weird to bring up

RME
Feb 20, 2012

The REAL Goobusters posted:

So do they gently caress in this episode

It’s 2018
They’re always loving

RME
Feb 20, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

I think Goro is gay. Thanks for reading this post

i liked goro a lot this episode. glad he got some screen time

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Blood Type Blue
Angel Confirmed

RME
Feb 20, 2012

OneDeadman posted:

Becoming an Adult is also a sexual metaphor.

Probably.

puberty is a weird time

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Blue Nation posted:

Maybe there are normal children somewhere else that manage to grow into adulthood, and the parasites are grown in a lab. I dunno, the one line about yellow blood got my attention.

that line also caught my attention. I wonder if that's a parasite thing that they all have, or a result of piloting with 02 (well the spike of them is the latter but yellow blood cells in general).

Also coincidence or not, they talked about it being the opposite reaction as her pervious partners, and blue and yellow are antagonistic colors in our perception, with Blood Type Blue being an evangelion thing.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

I really like Ichigo's shift in facial expressions at the end. It really underscores how much she cares about Hiro.

a good face

RME
Feb 20, 2012

bring back the emphasis on loving, in mechs

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Dryzen posted:

if not i'm doing it

this show reminds me of eureka seven a lot

it doesnt for me
mostly because i never saw e7

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Dryzen posted:

thanks for the input bitch!!!

yw
glad to help, really

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Centzon Totochtin posted:

ichigo should just stick with papika

RME
Feb 20, 2012

I like the Ichigo stuff because i find it's really effective in how crushing it feels for her and genuinely want to see her pull through and find resolution, which is almost certainly getting over her crush on Hiro that's clearly unrequited and learning to be more confident in herself as a leader.

I also like what's happening with 02; there's definitely supposed to be some reservation about feeling completely sympathetic for her. It's not hard to figure out why she's flippant about loss of her comrade's lives, but it's still clearly a flaw and a future conflict she's going to have with Hiro. I genuinely don't think it would be as interesting if 02 wasn't kind of lovely herself, and the show would be more boring if she was just the love interest that fixed everything about Hiro

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

The To-Love-Ru artist is apparently already drawing NSFW fanart of them. Then again, that may be true for literally every character in every show in every season for all I know.

well he also draws the official manga, which actually has nudity in it

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Eela6 posted:

Zorome and Miku are the moe power couple. They're adorable.

theyre good

RME
Feb 20, 2012

wow i hope they don't bring back the rap from the start of that episode

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Lurking Haro posted:

Adult and Child probably have a different meaning in the show. Just imagine Zorome saying "I want to become a train" instead.

Or probably more closely there’s additionally a Class/social status Aspect to adulthood and not just age, and parasites might lack that mobility even if they can later achieve management positions over other paradites

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Willias posted:

My favorite part of this episode is how much the internet blew up about it.

that seems to be a trend

RME
Feb 20, 2012

i caught up and it's going to be a long week

RME
Feb 20, 2012

prior to 02s arrival, her pilot number was the lowest right? She probably gets the leadership position because of that

RME
Feb 20, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

This show could become great and not mediocre if during the operation it kills off half the cast including Hiro

I think that would be kind of lame and unsatisfying tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Actually you know who killed half the cast including the protagonist?
That’s right, Dio Brando

• Locked thread