Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is Trigger's best previous anime
Kill La Kill
When Supernatural Battles become commenplace
Kiznaiver
Little Witch Academia
Gurren Lagann*
Panty and Stocking*
Space Patrol Luluculo
Goku
View Results

• Locked thread
dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

this anime isn't gay enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Space Flower posted:

i was thinking what if they subvert it later like two dudes jump in a franxx and go gently caress the system

hopefully some side characters do, this ep leaned really hard on the main pair so i think they'll stick it out

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the guys' uniforms have a y-shaped tie, the girls' uniforms have an x-shaped tie

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

I find it interesting how it's not only the children, two out of three adults also have numbers as names, with Dr. Franxx being the only exception.

I get the children aren't given names because they're ultimately little more than weapons for society and they're even encouraged to pursue a glorious death in battle, but the adults following the same naming scheme is interesting. Of course, their names may just be Nana and Hachi, but that's kind of hard to believe when the children have "names" only because apparently they had a bit more humanity than they probably should if their only reason to live is dying against mecha dinosaurs and so they named themselves (or Hiro named everyone, which seems to be the case considering what Naomi said).

Is there any pun I'm missing in Klaxosaur, by the way? The Japanese just sounded like kyouryuu, dinosaur, to me, but I'm guessing that unique name isn't based on nothing.

apparently kyouryuu was written with the characters for shout and dragon, so the klaxon portmanteau is meant to convey that.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

doggystyle in the franxx

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

actually the emotionless murder child was better than this poo poo-rear end protagonist I've only known for 23 minutes and have projected the entirety of other shows/genres onto

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Desuwa posted:

The only good pairing right now is the guy who eats a lot and the girl with two right hands.

zorome and miku are good too

anyway i don't think people really need to keep casting Trigger as some specter over the show and how it will inevitably be bad or whatever. it's a co-production with A-1 and doesn't have the same central staff that you'd associate with past Trigger fuckups.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

its the official abbreviation :twisted:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Motto posted:

I mean, because that's how they abbreviate titles in Japanese. It's a less useful convention to use in english.

well it's still shorter and easier to type

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

but it has boobs so it's trigger

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm certain klk already had takes defending the nudity as empowering/subversive within the first two eps so yeah this show inspiring such strong disgust elsewhere online seems pretty weird to me, and the only thing i can really chalk it up to is the Trigger association bringing that bad blood? or maybe in a short few years the bar of tolerance has drastically dropped to where something like this is incredibly offensive idk

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

idk why it would be ed when the problem is he's not with the right partner

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't think two shows that are more than a decade old reflect that much on current tomino's beliefs, especially when he has created media with active and well-realized female characters since then.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't feel like the piloting roles themselves are that gendered, so gay pairings wouldn't inherently rub up against that.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

They are really. There is a very present theme of marriage between men and women. The first episode has Father Pope pairing these kids off while their pinkies are bound by rings, I would argue that traditional weddings are the focus here. Dr. FranXX specifically states that the true power of a mech comes out when the positive and negative male-female energies mix the true power comes out. And the female outfits are designed to resemble a wataboshi, which is the bridal hood used in Shinto Weddings.

i mostly meant that the male/female characters don't fall into such rigidly gendered boxes that having m/m or f/f pairs would be odd or forced to feed into the typical roles of subservient femme/dominant masc.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i wouldn't say it is bad or particularly hilarious, but after 3 eps there's a good amount of promise

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

they are posts from various ANN threads about Franxx, which were kinda fun to read until the impotently mad het posters started being genuinely lovely about gay people even existing in media

anyway, as a gay i don't really feel the current gay interpretations hold up and i'm not holding my breath for the show to deliver there. however the posts about how people should stop doing that itt have so far come across as patronizing and lovely and i think people should just shut the gently caress up rather than make them.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yeah a show about sex and sexuality would be pandering by having the bare minimum representation of the spectrum of sexuality

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

my issue is more that it's incredibly insulting to act like the inclusion of gay characters would be pandering

the setting has plenty of room for these elements should the creators choose to explore them

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

my bad, i shouldn't force the issue of gay representation on Japanese media, since they don't have any gay citizens

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Ranzear posted:

I made the mistake of looking up A-1's other works. Between Aldnoah Zero and Sword Art Online, I've actually lost all faith that this show will do anything interesting. Oh well.

Can't wait for Klaxosaur guns to not actually kill people and nobody gets in a robot anymore after about episode 7 or so.

I'm not even sure Trigger could save this one now.

source your quotes

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Crabtree posted:

I have a slight fear that FranXX's EXECUTION of having a gay character could be eye-rolling wank bait or general stereotype pandering and not actually hit on all the potential others have discussed for any sort of homosexuality in this show, but when this series is nothing but sexual tension and overtones, maybe I should just shut the gently caress up inadvertently making GBS threads on the dream of gay franxx. Sorry in advance if that's how even bring that point up feels or reads like.

i think there's some small amount of room to worry about whether the show would handle gay characters well but since we haven't even fulfilled the initial requirement of having those characters it feels a bit pointless.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

drat wtf nobody told me this was a kado tie-in

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

don't be fooled

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

well they also had that goofy leaking faucet

maybe instead of being unable to contain water...it can't contain the overt symbolism

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the whole goro/ichigo/hiro triangle thing is good and very much my anime poo poo

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's a shame Grouchio won't get his wish

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

weirdly boring episode this week

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i feel like the show gives enough little bits of Futoshi/Kokoro and Zerome/Miku being well-suited pairs that i'm not super hung up on Ichigo's issues relative to 02's success. that said, 02 sucks and i hope she drops some walls asap because the callous possessiveness has had little shown to back it up.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/Kei_Lori/status/967350491997880320

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

if you think this episode was somehow trying to emphasize her suffering then yes, i'd say you're not seeing something

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

02 being lovely is obviously the next hurdle for the show to address, so we'll see how that goes. reasons have definitely been given but nothing has actually explored her trauma or had her really drop her walls. her portrayal so far is not meant to be unequivocally positive, but it is quite a change for ichigo to be reacting to her mostly positively compared to the mutual hostility before.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Caphi posted:

Sorry I'm exaggerating but "hey I have something really important to tell you, please don-" "HEY LOOK SOME METEORS sorry did you say something" doesn't really say "cares" in any sense whatsoever.

this is straight up missing the forest for the trees

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

this rap is loving awful

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

why is this happening

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

SpazmasterX posted:

You're talking about a culture that gets some real wacky ideas about their idols when they find out they're "used goods".

Plus we all remember what happened to the last harem protag that just banged girls indiscriminately.

Also we all know that when Japanese anime teens bang it always results in teen pregnancy every time. And then their kid gets hit by a truck.

*days since last bad post counter flips from 2 back to 0*

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

pretending it's unique to Japanese culture is weird and straight up not true

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Diabetes Forecast posted:

yes but the conversation is specifically about japan, so

"the conversation" was one person making dumb generalizations that didn't speak to the lack of sex in anime vs western media, which is what the inciting post was asking.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's finally here

https://twitter.com/DARLI_FRA/status/974208776994631681

the zorome episode yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

actually, the adult is going to lift their weird cult hood and shoot deadly eye lasers at all the posters itt who talk about death flags

• Locked thread