Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

my car's ridiculous infotainment mistake turns on with the car and defaults to the radio station that i have never wanted to listen to

then it takes about 5 attempts to play audio from usb or bluetooth

but at least it's a touchscreen and can display a 480x340 barely visible view of behind my tiny rear window!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
p sure there's some universal chunk of code that was sold to every single car manufacturer when they all scrambled to add IPOD support in like 2004, and as such whenever I plug my phone into a random car, 99% of the time the thing that plays is A-Punk because why wouldn't I want to listen to my music in alphabetical order?

The Store
May 2, 2009

i like it when my aftermarket car stereo connects to my phone via bluetooth and then my phone defaults to playing audio out of the phone speakers

still controllable via the car stereo buttons though

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

maybe if new cars didn't have useless tiny rear windows we wouldnt all have to have backup cameras

my first car was an old buick where the back window was literally flat and straight up and down, and the trunk angled downward

rear visibility was great. and now u cant see poo poo outta these new cars

anyway cars are a gently caress

otoh you can get rear-ended and not have a steering column go through your neck on basically every new car

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Jimmy Carter posted:

p sure there's some universal chunk of code that was sold to every single car manufacturer when they all scrambled to add IPOD support in like 2004, and as such whenever I plug my phone into a random car, 99% of the time the thing that plays is A-Punk because why wouldn't I want to listen to my music in alphabetical order?

after new year's my ride home was a car driven by a soundcloud rapper and i added his song "305" to my phone a couple days later when i was trying to remember his name and now that's the default

one option is https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/a-a-a-a-a-very-good-song-silent-track/1268932999?i=1268933000

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
my mom's built in navigation hosed up on the way to dinner tonight. Ford Expedition. like four blocks away from where we were going. gj ferd

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Cocoa Crispies posted:

otoh you can get rear-ended and not have a steering column go through your neck on basically every new car

nah its cool the buick had the gas fill under the rear license plate so if i got rear ended it woulda exploded anyway

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Skim Milk posted:

bit whisperer

it was just like "hold down two buttons while turning the car on and wait for the lights to start blinking a result"

there was a dead solenoid or something

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Hey, Tesla has a vertical screen. Tesla is cool. Therefore if we use a vertical screen we will be cool.

Looks like the PM in charge didn’t get the budget for someone to update their UI from 2007 though (or use an IPS display )

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
more like ibs display

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

I just cut the audio wires going from the tape deck and soldered in a 3.5mm jack. very needs suiting

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

FMguru posted:

more like ibs display

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

maybe if new cars didn't have useless tiny rear windows we wouldnt all have to have backup cameras

my first car was an old buick where the back window was literally flat and straight up and down, and the trunk angled downward

rear visibility was great. and now u cant see poo poo outta these new cars

anyway cars are a gently caress

the pillars have to be thicker because of crash protection afaik

pram
Jun 10, 2001
my gti computer is fine, it has Apple CarPlay. the worlds most advanced car operating system

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Jimmy Carter posted:

Hey, Tesla has a vertical screen. Tesla is cool. Therefore if we use a vertical screen we will be cool.

Looks like the PM in charge didn’t get the budget for someone to update their UI from 2007 though (or use an IPS display )

its like they glued a gaming laptop to the dash

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I miss 90s cars where the climate and audio controls were tilted towards the driver.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

thebigcow posted:

I miss 90s cars where the climate and audio controls were tilted towards the driver.

have you considered buying a lotus my dude

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

thebigcow posted:

if it's pointed at the driver, they need two different sets of parts for left- and right- hand drive markets.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

mildly pleased with the latest ford software tbh. the really lovely thing is that sirius poo poo is still there even when its not paid for, but the flip is their gps is good for five years of updates so wgaf as long as it gives me traffic routing and doesnt look too ugly

as expected its not the best design but at least the screen can be super dimmed and set to night mode all the time, and it works with carplay so i can bark orders at siri like some coked out 80s power broker and not have to try to use a touchscreen doing 80 on the interstate

the one thing that actively irritates me is they removed physical play/pause buttons so its either verbal commands or having the music app open which is only possible using fords os and not carplay. just put the controls on the steering column so itll balance the other 14 buttons on my loving pro controller of a wheel

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Elder Postsman posted:

if it's pointed at the driver, they need two different sets of parts for left- and right- hand drive markets.

right hand drive cars are so dumb

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

:barf:

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.

Jimmy Carter posted:

I'm the iron rangers attached to a guy whose life has led to desperately taking pictures in an awkward contortion of a car dash.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

The Store posted:

i like it when my aftermarket car stereo connects to my phone via bluetooth and then my phone defaults to playing audio out of the phone speakers

still controllable via the car stereo buttons though

i like it when her car connects to my phone and plays nothing

or when it connects to her phone and plays bluetooth audio you can't hear unless you turn the volume up to like, a thousand

or when you turn the car on after having been listening to bta and it decides "nah let's deafen you with the default radio station" , but at least there's a physical volume knob to save you from that particular hell

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

the carputer

it is much like my posting

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
so when it came out i got this thing:

https://www.amazon.com/Parrot-PF350...parrot+asteroid

a pre android auto attempt to port android to a car radio. sounds like a neat idea. in practice it is terrible.

real electronics manufacturers use a grey code for volume control knobs. you get a rotary encoder that actually works then because the grey code ensures that only one digit of the position sensor readout is changing at a time, and you can do easy error correction to determine which direction you actually rotated the knob in. whatever they used for a rotary encoder for the volume knob here is absolute garbage. turn the knob and it jumps randomly up and down and maybe eventually settles on the right value, but probably not! it makes controlling the thing basically impossible. also the apps constantly crash, and when i say apps i mean basic features like "control volume" and "listen to fm radio". sometimes it turns off all user input and just blasts whatever the last input source was at you, and randomly turns on and off.

i threw it in the trash recently and i'm installing a system that's literally just an aux plug that goes to an amplifier for the speakers. it will be 1000x better.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
that is the readio that comes STOCK in the 90,000 alfa romeo 4C, which is why i thought it couldn't possibly be that bad. it was so bad and i hated it so much.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i have a pioneer thing with carplay. seems fine mostly

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Endless Mike posted:

i have a pioneer thing with carplay. seems fine mostly

pioneer only recently released a single DIN carplay receiver, i bought it and returned it when i found out that the flip out screen would require me to shave off a half inch of my wiper control stalk to make it able to flip out, or turn the wipers to the on position first.

right now that's the only single DIN unit on the market. alpine has one coming out in feb that i might buy if it fits into my car without interfering with basic features like "using the goddamn wipers"

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So I know fuckall about car audio, if I installed one of those Pioneers and got a new car next year I could transfer it, right? There's a ISO or IEEE standard for faceplates?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
DIN actually

and i love our 2012 forester with a bog stock dumb stereo no nav and just a USB and a 3.5 input. my spotify works on the usb and i can jiggle tracks from the steering wheel. this is magic to old man 290.

gently caress all modern in car control systems

im gonna get a speaker to line converter and put a vintage 1994 bass tube in the back

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Schadenboner posted:

So I know fuckall about car audio, if I installed one of those Pioneers and got a new car next year I could transfer it, right? There's a ISO or IEEE standard for faceplates?

DIN but not even the germans use that kind of thing anymore

it's probably still just subaru and mitsubishi but it's 2018 and don't buy a mitsubishi

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lol how much are those evos. they look so cheap. every time i see some Lidz guy brapping at a stoplight in one i laugh

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

probably not since no one actually uses standard stereos anymore lol

hell even my toyoburu's "double din" isn't actually double din and is a bit wider

Jonny 290 posted:

lol how much are those evos. they look so cheap. every time i see some Lidz guy brapping at a stoplight in one i laugh
they don't make them anymore, but the last version started at $38k. it looks like cheap poo poo because it's a cheap poo poo car they put a big engine and awd in

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 16, 2018

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
modern cars:

yeah we can’t afford to double the ram from 128 to 256 megs, but we sure are gonna keep shipping CD players in there!

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i don't know anything about hyundai but i drove a genesis for a couple weeks that had my favorite ui device i've ever used:

that big knob can act like a d-pad, has a 'click' if you push it straight down, and the edge is a rotary encoder so it also works like a normal knob; and the ui was actually designed to work with it!

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Corla Plankun posted:

i don't know anything about hyundai but i drove a genesis for a couple weeks that had my favorite ui device i've ever used:

that big knob can act like a d-pad, has a 'click' if you push it straight down, and the edge is a rotary encoder so it also works like a normal knob; and the ui was actually designed to work with it!

i'm the custom water bottles

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Corla Plankun posted:

it is a direct copy of bmw’s idrive but worse. just like everything in that car is a copy of another car but worse.

Stubbs
Oct 24, 2005

bmw idrive is the only tolerable infotainment system.

don't use it for navigation though. it's garbage, at least in my city

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Corla Plankun posted:

your punishment is 2.5 years (30 months) in a first generation idrive

efb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
reminder: BMW decided when building a rotary interface for iDrive that the scroll direction should be the exact opposite of the iPod, possibly most iconic interface of the decade.

• Locked thread