Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

President Beep posted:

if it could fit four people i absolutely would. i could use a small truck, but i also need to haul my child around. only not utterly stupid options right now are a small body-on-frame pickup.

Perhaps a station wagon a true family car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

i dig those, but that’s pretty much what our nissan rogue is, and the inside gets all bashed and scuffed. need a truck box i can just toss poo poo into.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

they call them crossovers now

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Apparently the new Focus crossover thing is dead in the USA now too

quote:

Ford Motor Co. F -2.06% has ditched plans to import its Focus compact car from China to the U.S. starting next year, citing an expected hit from import tariffs the Trump administration put into effect in July.

Ford had planned to begin shipping a new version of the Focus from China, starting in the second half of 2019. But the 25% tariff now in place on U.S. imports from China upended the economic case for importing the vehicle, said Kumar Galhotra, head of Ford North America.

The tariff made it a “very difficult business case for us, so we’re choosing to deploy these resources elsewhere,” Mr. Galhotra told reporters during a conference call Friday.

So the only Ford car left in the USA will be the Mustang.

I think we're about a week away from reviving the Hummer brand

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
hummers probably don't have the margins f150s and silverados have

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

are they killing the c-max? thats pretty much a wagon/hatchback. called an MPV elsewhere in the world though

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
guillotine all of americans basically

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

are they killing the c-max? thats pretty much a wagon/hatchback. called an MPV elsewhere in the world though

probably. it didn't sell and the margins are probably tiny.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Jimmy Carter posted:

that's the rental I had recently which would randomly yell that the head unit was out of RAM

Despite it being from 2014 aka when lithium batteries were getting dirt-cheap, they still went with a nickel-metal battery which is heavy as gently caress and can't hold much energy. It had over a 120hp electric motor but they were clearly concerned about making it feel 'not like a hybrid' so the acceleration is mushy as poo poo.

This was an '16 or something. If you had the eco mode on the throttle was loving unusable: huge dead spot and then it kicks in way too fast. Turn that off and it drove fine. No idea about the battery chemistry but I dunno/don't care it seemed to work.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I'm going to buy a Kia Niro

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

guillotine all of americans basically

this but unironically

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

huge cars and trucks are all that's left in this country because the only people who can afford new cars are old farts who need the seat to be at standing rear end level because they can't bend down.

also these wealthy old shitheads are all overweight so they need big cars with massive seats and upgraded suspension bc they and their wife weigh as much as four millennials

also they're scared of everyone around them so the car gotta look like a tank.

if young, healthy, open-minded people had the money to buy cars and/or houses with driveways and garages in which to put those cars, you'd see plenty more interest in smaller, more reasonable vehicles

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

huge cars and trucks are all that's left in this country because the only people who can afford new cars are old farts who need the seat to be at standing rear end level because they can't bend down.

also these wealthy old shitheads are all overweight so they need big cars with massive seats and upgraded suspension bc they and their wife weigh as much as four millennials

also they're scared of everyone around them so the car gotta look like a tank.

if young, healthy, open-minded people had the money to buy cars and/or houses with driveways and garages in which to put those cars, you'd see plenty more interest in smaller, more reasonable vehicles

'i like to be up high so i can see everything' said my ex and she still couldnt manage to avoid slamming her tires into curbs and piles of roofing nails quarterly

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

carry on then posted:

this but unironically

i was not being ironic

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I have a normal boat of a sedan and I can't see anything on the roads because every car is 20ft tall

it sucks and Americans suck

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the oddness is that on a bike you're higher up than a lot of cars so you can see over them, but you are dwarfed by brodozers. i basically treat them like semi trucks and exert effort to get around/past them as fast as possible because i know theyre listening to some MY TRUUUUUUUCK pop country song and not paying attention

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ya you gotta get a motorcycle. average dude sitting on average standard motorcycle puts your eyeline above the roof of most cars, and you can easily pull to one side of the lane or split to see what's going on way up ahead. i can often spot the brake lights of cars four or five vehicles ahead of me, so by the time the car directly in front brakes i've been preparing for it and slowing down for a good 5+ seconds.

it's really amazing how much safer you feel when you can just fuckin see what's going on around you. i feel like i'm going to be stuck buying old cars forever because the greenhouses and pillars in new ones are so miniscule and enormous, respectively. like driving a bathtub

e: oh and also most people will treat you pretty nice if you're on a bike because (something i learned through a weird interaction a few years ago) there is this perception in america that all motorcyclists carry guns and if you piss them off they will shoot you to death/hit you with a bicycle chain/show up at your house with their gang/etc.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

oh and re. visibility if you really wanna be creeped out, whenever you see someone reversing their car, try to spot if they've got their head turned around or if they're just driving backwards while looking in their mirrors. i started paying attention to it after the dumbass teenage girl across the street backed into my motorcycle while i was standing RIGHT BESIDE IT yelling at her to stop, and i'd say at least 80% of people out there are doing the same as her and operating a 2 ton vehicle under its own power while looking through the field-of-view equivalent of a tank driver's periscope.

drives me bananas

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

oh and re. visibility if you really wanna be creeped out, whenever you see someone reversing their car, try to spot if they've got their head turned around or if they're just driving backwards while looking in their mirrors. i started paying attention to it after the dumbass teenage girl across the street backed into my motorcycle while i was standing RIGHT BESIDE IT yelling at her to stop, and i'd say at least 80% of people out there are doing the same as her and operating a 2 ton vehicle under its own power while looking through the field-of-view equivalent of a tank driver's periscope.

drives me bananas

*looks at stereo/nav unit while pulling out into the street from a driveway*

me: Oh god time for accelerator poker again

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

every time before i make a turn in my car i have to play peek-a-boo around my windshield pillars so i don't run something over :thumbsup:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

there was a thing in the news around like 2003 where some doctor in connecticut ran over his 2-year-old with his h2 because he couldn't see him sitting in the driveway

i sat in one at an auto show later that year and can confirm that yep, you can't see poo poo-all. the doors are so thick and the windows are so small and high up that you're blind to anything less than maybe 3 feet tall in a 3 foot radius around the vehicle, like say a toddler playing beside the car

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

piles of roofing nails quarterly

my ex was also subscribed to this publication

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
imo these things are peak american dumbassery. the ones i used to see weren’t this blatantly stupid, but now any pretense of utility has been dropped

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

there was a thing in the news around like 2003 where some doctor in connecticut ran over his 2-year-old with his h2 because he couldn't see him sitting in the driveway

i sat in one at an auto show later that year and can confirm that yep, you can't see poo poo-all. the doors are so thick and the windows are so small and high up that you're blind to anything less than maybe 3 feet tall in a 3 foot radius around the vehicle, like say a toddler playing beside the car

this reminds me of a seminar i sat in once about airplane safety. they were talking about some accident in a 747 and pointed out that the pilots can only see things like 100 feet in front of the plane

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

President Beep posted:

imo these things are peak american dumbassery. the ones i used to see weren’t this blatantly stupid, but now any pretense of utility has been dropped

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Endless Mike posted:

this reminds me of a seminar i sat in once about airplane safety. they were talking about some accident in a 747 and pointed out that the pilots can only see things like 100 feet in front of the plane

when my local airport first got a380 service they required it to have a follow-me car when driving around

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

President Beep posted:

imo these things are peak american dumbassery. the ones i used to see werent this blatantly stupid, but now any pretense of utility has been dropped

:ohdear:

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

'i like to be up high so i can see everything' said my ex and she still couldnt manage to avoid slamming her tires into curbs and piles of roofing nails quarterly

This is my favorite narrative ever. Everyone drives giant SUVs so it doesn't matter anyway. If you actually leave a proper leading distance and pay attention to brake lights and drive wheels you'll be fine.

The rest of the world manages to tow trailers with loving anything, I have no idea why America needs v8s. If you're banging up your wagon get a hitch and a lovely utility trailer. It'll exceed the listed tow rating but that's bullshit anyway, look up the European counterpart.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have zero room for a trailer tho.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

autism ZX spectrum posted:

This is my favorite narrative ever. Everyone drives giant SUVs so it doesn't matter anyway. If you actually leave a proper leading distance and pay attention to brake lights and drive wheels you'll be fine.

The rest of the world manages to tow trailers with loving anything, I have no idea why America needs v8s. If you're banging up your wagon get a hitch and a lovely utility trailer. It'll exceed the listed tow rating but that's bullshit anyway, look up the European counterpart.

well, to be honest, engines and bodies are orthogonal. you can have a big SUV with a wheezy 170 hp v6 that you just hammer every time, and those are some bad drivers because their huge vehicle is so slow and they do nothing but enrage you (our forester was like this). Then you have a big SUV with a goddamn turbo 6.2 or whatever that cuts people off by the dozens at offramps but still can't break 70mph, those are _different_ types of bad drivers (my blazer was like this). Then you have super slow little tiny cars, often piloted by bad drivers, but sometimes piloted by good ones that realize the throttle is a binary switch and you need to think 3 seconds ahead with your right foot (my 88 323 hatch was like this). Then you have the small cars with big engines, who have the best mobility and safety of them all, but they know it (my 540 is like this).

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Jonny 290 posted:

Then you have the small cars with big engines, who have the best mobility and safety of them all, but they know it (my 540 is like this).

obviously the best choice

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

Then you have the small cars with big engines, who have the best mobility and safety of them all, but they know it (my 540 is like this).

i generally agree here but lol at the 540 considered a small car.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Midjack posted:

i generally agree here but lol at the 540 considered a small car.

depending on when his is from it’s probably smaller than a modern Camry, definitely smaller than the most popular car, the F-150

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Cocoa Crispies posted:

depending on when his is from it’s probably smaller than a modern Camry, definitely smaller than the most popular car, the F-150

jonny290's e39 is probably smaller (exterior dimensions) than the camry two generations ago

e: hell i drive an '08 avalon and i think the new camrys might be bigger

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yah, a 3 series is bigger than my car now.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

yah, a 3 series is bigger than my car now.

carry on then

Edit: vvvvvv nice!

Midjack fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Sep 1, 2018

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Midjack posted:

carry on then

you rang?

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004