Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
there shall be no multipurpose controls involved in the operation of a car's engine, transmission, lighting, wiper, climate control, seat positioning, or audio system

Anything else, sure, geek it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

there shall be no multipurpose controls involved in the operation of a car's engine, transmission, lighting, wiper, climate control, seat positioning, or audio system

what if i told you everything will be controlled via a giant touchscreen

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Endless Mike posted:

what if i told you everything will be controlled via a giant touchscreen

i will continue to own my 1997 bmw and will just dump whatever i would have spent on car payments into maintaining and fixing that, done

new cars suck so hard lol

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Jonny 290 posted:

love my separate levers for transmission and parking mode

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
car makers are awful at software. this is why self driving cars will never be produced by them

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i dont think ive ever been inside a bmw in my life

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
there is a roughly 15-20 year window of acceptable bmws, dont like, rent a modern 4 series and expect it to have anywhere as nearly a good experience as like a 1990 3-series

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
the only acceptable bmw's are e30s. sorry jonny.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Lightbulb Out posted:

the only acceptable bmw's are e30s. sorry jonny.

2002s are pretty cool though

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
e30's had great visibility and rewarded spirited application of gas pedal, but they had dumb engine selections across the board and if you want a clean one right now you are spending $15k plus another 4-6 grand a year

meanwhile, there was no 1997 M5 because my 540 was judged fast enough

then BMW wanted to sell more variable valve timing engines so they brought it back the next year

as much as i love the 5 though, my 95 325 was a much better handler. had the m3 pumpkin and big staggered wheels. push it to the limiiiiiiit

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Jonny 290 posted:

e30's had great visibility and rewarded spirited application of gas pedal, but they had dumb engine selections across the board and if you want a clean one right now you are spending $15k plus another 4-6 grand a year

then BMW wanted to sell more variable valve timing engines so they brought it back the next year

as much as i love the 5 though, my 95 325 was a much better handler. had the m3 pumpkin and big staggered wheels. push it to the limiiiiiiit

the key is to buy 3 of them before they got expensive. it worked for me. they're not that expensive, though.

anyway sorry about your recirculating ball steering.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
sorry about your 0-60's lol

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Jonny 290 posted:

sorry about your 0-60's lol

no jonny. the proper e30 criticism is their semitrailing arm rear suspension. im sorry.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Elder Postsman posted:

if it's pointed at the driver, they need two different sets of parts for left- and right- hand drive markets.

just flip them upside-down dumb rear end

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

soviets used an inverted pencil

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

is there a non-poo poo double din CarPlay head unit?

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Corla Plankun posted:

i don't know anything about hyundai but i drove a genesis for a couple weeks that had my favorite ui device i've ever used:

that big knob can act like a d-pad, has a 'click' if you push it straight down, and the edge is a rotary encoder so it also works like a normal knob; and the ui was actually designed to work with it!

yes the mazda's thing is like that too, you can control everything with the knob and never have to use the touch screen if you don't want to. it's good, but the computer itself is slow and laggy garbage.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

is there a non-poo poo double din CarPlay head unit?
i've got a pioneer appradio 4. it seems fine, but i guess it depends on what you want. the pioneer interface is crap but you never have to use it.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

bmw tori

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

these car computers would be way cooler if they had a screen that showed you the output from obd2, like, oil pressure and temp and afr and whatever. just a big ol screen of gauges.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I've got a 2017 GTI and its got the apple/google thing where you can just plug in your phone and it shows you a car-friendly interface, locked down to stuff you can interact with while driving. It works pretty well but it means you have to use apple maps if you have an iphone :/

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

ADINSX posted:

I've got a 2017 GTI and its got the apple/google thing where you can just plug in your phone and it shows you a car-friendly interface, locked down to stuff you can interact with while driving. It works pretty well but it means you have to use apple maps if you have an iphone :/

supposedly ford is doing something to allow waze to use the screen on their units, but how that differs from a proper mobile app is beyond me. its also dumb that apple doesnt allow a mirror mode. i mean i get why but come on those few idiots instagramming while driving would be worth the chance to use it for other apps

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Agile Vector posted:

supposedly ford is doing something to allow waze to use the screen on their units, but how that differs from a proper mobile app is beyond me. its also dumb that apple doesnt allow a mirror mode. i mean i get why but come on those few idiots instagramming while driving would be worth the chance to use it for other apps

Yeah the limitations are pretty severe and sometimes arbitrary. I haven't been able to figure out how to search for a song on spotify (not even with voice to text) but I can scroll through and select previously played playlists.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

i've got a pioneer appradio 4. it seems fine, but i guess it depends on what you want. the pioneer interface is crap but you never have to use it.

I guess HD radio support along with bluetooth/iphone compat is about the extent of my feature list. Something to replace this toyota cd/tape deck thing

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

ADINSX posted:

Yeah the limitations are pretty severe and sometimes arbitrary. I haven't been able to figure out how to search for a song on spotify (not even with voice to text) but I can scroll through and select previously played playlists.

speaking of, i ran into a weird limitation with shuffling music through siri. on bluetooth (i think) it requires a song to be playing before itll shuffle, but plugged into it directly and carplaying itll shuffle fine even if the music app isnt open. im not sure why the difference since both have to launch the music app and, as far as i know, siri is siri regardless since its not a sensitive action

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Agile Vector posted:

there's interfaces available for most car displays that sit in between the actual computer and the LVDS port of the display and you can plug an HDMI interface into them to display whatever you want on the screen.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Hooray an ECU thread!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I guess HD radio support along with bluetooth/iphone compat is about the extent of my feature list. Something to replace this toyota cd/tape deck thing
it has hd radio, but it's wired carplay only, so might not suit your knees

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jimmy Carter posted:

there's interfaces available for most car displays that sit in between the actual computer and the LVDS port of the display and you can plug an HDMI interface into them to display whatever you want on the screen.

hell yeah, tempted to poke around my car for this

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
haaaaahahahaha BMW officially is actively hostile towards its customers and is going to make CarPlay a yearly fee because gently caress you pay me for the privilege of being able to send a text message while not dying.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/16/16897326/bmw-apple-carplay-subscription-google-alexa-detroit-auto-show-2018

some PM posted:

“This allows the customer to switch devices,” he said. “A lot of people buy [CarPlay] and think it’s okay, but sometimes they stop using it or switch to Android.”

Smith said the new plan would be free for the first year of ownership on a new BMW. After that, owners would be asked to pay $80 per year to keep the service. Over the course of a three or four-year lease, it would still work out to less money than the option is now, he said.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
carplay on my 2017 vw works great

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

cars are trash, op

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lua posted:

I don’t know a lot about geocoding. what does using 3 words offer over lat/long?

lol its how gfycat names its gifs

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

maybe if new cars didn't have useless tiny rear windows we wouldnt all have to have backup cameras

my first car was an old buick where the back window was literally flat and straight up and down, and the trunk angled downward

rear visibility was great. and now u cant see poo poo outta these new cars

anyway cars are a gently caress

it must be modern car design idk but i never know where the front of my car actually is these days, just glad i dont crash much

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Jimmy Carter posted:

haaaaahahahaha BMW officially is actively hostile towards its customers and is going to make CarPlay a yearly fee because gently caress you pay me for the privilege of being able to send a text message while not dying.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/16/16897326/bmw-apple-carplay-subscription-google-alexa-detroit-auto-show-2018

They are pushing subscription based car purchased really hard right now.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

we'll lease you the whole car

but we'll only rent you the radio

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

it has hd radio, but it's wired carplay only, so might not suit your knees

Cool, that should work fine for me. Thank you for the recommendation.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I guess AppRadio 4 doesn't actually have an HD tuner but this DVD thinger they make does along with CarPlay so GOOD ENOUGH

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/DVD+Receivers/AVH-1330NEX

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I guess AppRadio 4 doesn't actually have an HD tuner but this DVD thinger they make does along with CarPlay so GOOD ENOUGH

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/DVD+Receivers/AVH-1330NEX
oh weird, thought it did. anyway, that has a resistive touchscreen. don't get that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

is it What3Words BMW is using?

https://what3words.com

it is fun to see what the best combo is for your home etc (pls don’t doxx yrself here)

if it got an official integration into Gmaps it would get widely adopted I think.

• Locked thread