Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BoldFrankensteinMir

Yeah, I'm a pretty bad technophobe and even I am excited about 3D-Printed synth meat. As creepy as parts of it are, can I really say factory farming has fewer questionable practices? And eight pounds of feed for a pound of meat, drat.

Really, all externalities given due consideration, taking a bag of hamburgers through the window of your idling car while you stream music is like the most disgustingly decadent meal in the history of humanity. Old Pharaoh never even dreamt of such luxury- especially all the people and animal torture and ruined lands being far away out of view. That's the real cherry on top of any good serving of hedonism: ignorance.

...I'm sorry this is the burgers and coffee and mom-cars forum, right. Uh... *pets nice cat*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koishi Komeiji

Burg report: Impossible burger

Just burged real hard on this bad boy:

It set me back a cool 14 clams and overall I gotta say it was pretty good. Not great but pretty good. It has a light smokey aroma, texture is crisp on the outside and mushy like tuna on the inside. Kinda gross looking tbqh. The taste is beefy but the flavor is kinda lacking.You can tell you're not eating meat. It's not greasy at all even though it kinda looks like that in the pictures. No weird aftertaste or anything but it filled me up really hard, couldn't even finish my dang fries. B-

The burg wanter:

It's not even meat ya dingus!

Petr
goin to mcdonalds, wish me luck

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami
Are patty melts hamburgers? :thunk:

Djeser

it's crow time again

i got a burg urge

fast food places keep sending me coupons for like $3 for a burg and frie

----------------

Twenty Four

Koishi Komeiji posted:

Burg report: Impossible burger

Just burged real hard on this bad boy:

It set me back a cool 14 clams and overall I gotta say it was pretty good. Not great but pretty good. It has a light smokey aroma, texture is crisp on the outside and mushy like tuna on the inside. Kinda gross looking tbqh. The taste is beefy but the flavor is kinda lacking.You can tell you're not eating meat. It's not greasy at all even though it kinda looks like that in the pictures. No weird aftertaste or anything but it filled me up really hard, couldn't even finish my dang fries. B-

The burg wanter:

It's not even meat ya dingus!

Looks gross, but, I guess that isn't surprising? I want to thank you for the trip report though, interesting! That's a bit of cash though to eat a burg that isn't as good as a regular burg I think.

Manifisto

I also burged an imp burg

honestly? I liked it, I was pleasantly impressed. the texture is a bit crumbly, but not offputtingly so. flavorwise, well a lot of a stacked burg is the condiments and fixins - I got real cheddar on this bad boy, no vegan cheese bs for me - but there's a distinct beefiness, esp when you take a bit of naked patty. it's just . . . lighter than real beef, not a flavor bomb but tasty enough.

I suspect I could make do with one of these when a burger craving hit and not feel deprived

the cost however is quite high, that's an issue

maybe we have not yet reached perfect vegan meat, but as proof of concept this is p good

BoldFrankensteinMir

Thankyou gentlegoons for these excellent field reports. Obviously there is much work to be done but it is good to know the lay of the land.

We know the promising state of the vegburgs this very day, and can chill soundly with that knowledge.

Sig by Heather Papps

Cyberpunkey Monkey

by Nyc_Tattoo
:agreed:

I ate a couple of simple veg:burger: for dinner last night. 'twas good.

----------------

FPzero

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'm sitting here in richmond va getting one heck of a burg fever now. I should go find a good burg somewhere.

drilldo squirt

a beautiful, soft meat sack

Petr posted:

goin to mcdonalds, wish me luck

I'm wishing you luck but I don't think that helps with stupid.

----------------

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami
I want a steamed ham

Cyberpunkey Monkey

by Nyc_Tattoo

YourHeadaSplode414 posted:

I want a steamed ham

wrong thread :mad: not really mad but I don't get the joke

----------------

BoldFrankensteinMir

If McDonald's and Burger King merged, their new mascot would be Burglar King...

Farecoal

There he go

osirisisdead posted:

wrong thread :mad: not really mad but I don't get the joke

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 23, 2018

Cyberpunkey Monkey

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can one actually steam cook a hamburger or is this more delicious upstate NY nonsense like beef on weck?

----------------

BoldFrankensteinMir

osirisisdead posted:

upstate NY nonsense

Oh no, never in Utica. It's an Albany expression.

Sig by Heather Papps

Robot Made of Meat

osirisisdead posted:

Can one actually steam cook a hamburger or is this more delicious upstate NY nonsense like beef on weck?

Steam-cooked hamburgers are a thing in Connecticut, I've heard.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Cyberpunkey Monkey

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think I'll stick to dumplings and/or filled buns for now.

----------------

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

:wiggle: :tutbutt:

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

Jaded Burnout

y'all is making me very burg hungry, both ham and batten. Sadly I no longer live 10 minutes from a Five Guys which is my favourite burger in all of London.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Jaded Burnout posted:

y'all is making me very burg hungry, both ham and batten. Sadly I no longer live 10 minutes from a Five Guys which is my favourite burger in all of London.

Five Guys is a venerated favorite here, from what I've read. I like to get a grilled cheese with all the fixin's.

Sig by Heather Papps

Jaded Burnout

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Five Guys is a venerated favorite here, from what I've read. I like to get a grilled cheese with all the fixin's.

There was a time a few years ago when they just had the one in all of the UK, and the queues out the door were regular enough that they installed permanent outside queuing.

My understanding is they charge us vastly more than you, a [double] cheeseburger is £8 ($11).

TOOT BOOT

its burger night tonight :)

BoldFrankensteinMir

In Denver there's this hole in the wall on like Colorado Blvd and Evans called Crown-Burger. Family owned, styrofoam drink cups, soap painted windows advertising low prices on breakfasts for construction workers. They have a weird giant menu with all kinds of crazy crap like gyros and chili and corn-dogs, but the famous house specialty is a "pastrami double-royale" that's two quarter-pound patties and a half pound of deli-sliced pastrami between flimsy buns with shredded lettuce and secret sauce. It is an unwieldy cannonball of meat and sauce and I dream of it sometimes (but the fries suck).

Sig by Heather Papps

Jaded Burnout

I want to burg but it's too late to burg so I'm going to have a bagel (burgel) which is like a burg but with marmite instead of ketchup

BoldFrankensteinMir

Which is better for a double-burger, two buns or three?

Sig by Heather Papps

eonwe

Which is better for a double-burger, two buns or three?

two, IMO. the in between bun just gets mushy

Jaded Burnout

I had my marmite burger, it was good.

eonwe posted:

two, IMO. the in between bun just gets mushy

This also for me.

Cyberpunkey Monkey

by Nyc_Tattoo
two bunless vegan burgs with not-vegan-beans and sliced japaleno peppers, ranched up.

----------------

BoldFrankensteinMir

If you could keep that middle bun crispy and good, perhaps with a light air-frying as if it were some kind of bread-patty, would the third bun be a tempting idea? Or is it just a literal fifth wheel in 2bun2burger world?

Robot Made of Meat

If you could keep that middle bun crispy and good, perhaps with a light air-frying as if it were some kind of bread-patty, would the third bun be a tempting idea? Or is it just a literal fifth wheel in 2bun2burger world?

Frying is cooking in oil. Air-frying does not exist.

FreshCutFries

Robot Made of Meat posted:

Frying is cooking in oil. Air-frying does not exist.

thank you!!!!!!!

Cyberpunkey Monkey

by Nyc_Tattoo
Countertop Convection Cven, let's call it a COO(TM) pronounced koeotm

----------------

BoldFrankensteinMir

sigh, okay, fine, if the middle bun was kept crispy via consumer rotoconvectional thermoculinarianism machinery... would you welcome its otherworldly crispiness.

Y'all be like "what, there's a chicken patty between these burger patties". But another bite is like "nah. iz bread. Still all-beef" and you're overjoyed.

Sig by Heather Papps

Robot Made of Meat

I'm not saying that any particular cooking method is better or worse. I'm just saying that communication relies on everyone involved understanding the same words or symbols as meaning the same thing. Hot air cooking is very much a valid method of making food hot and perhaps creating the maillard reacton. But it's not what we've understood "frying" to be, at least not for hundreds of years.

Why change horses mid-stream?

BoldFrankensteinMir

You seem to think the transformation of language is an affront but I think it's the standard. Frying starts out vague enough with both pan-frying and deep-frying variants, then we get into "fries", most of which aren't cooked in oil anymore. Are the convectios now? No. Fry just absorbs new meaning. I fried my brain on that stuff man. The circuit is fried, my scalp is fried, that music is some country-fried corn my friend. If all those iterations count, slightly different sizzling food counts.

No really I agree with you I'm just treading water here. Mayonnaise on a burger, yay or nay?

Robot Made of Meat

You seem to think the transformation of language is an affront but I think it's the standard. Frying starts out vague enough with both pan-frying and deep-frying variants, then we get into "fries", most of which aren't cooked in oil anymore. Are the convectios now? No. Fry just absorbs new meaning. I fried my brain on that stuff man. The circuit is fried, my scalp is fried, that music is some country-fried corn my friend. If all those iterations count, slightly different sizzling food counts.

No really I agree with you I'm just treading water here. Mayonnaise on a burger, yay or nay?

Mayonnaise on a burger is a disgusting, fattening concept.

So, yay!

drilldo squirt

a beautiful, soft meat sack

Robot Made of Meat posted:

Mayonnaise on a burger is a disgusting, fattening concept.

So, yay!
I disagree mayo is good on a burger, with ketchup.

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberpunkey Monkey

by Nyc_Tattoo

lightly on a griddle fried bun or slice of bread underneath both lettuce and tomato. Mayo is an emulsion of oil and egg, right? It is okay in moderation. It also makes for good and easy tuna salad, but I usually try to stick to farm raised, frozen, fish.

----------------

• Locked thread