Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Known Lecher posted:

- Removed all graphics cards/memory/expansion cards/etc etc one by one until eventually I was booting with just the CPU and fan. Nope.
- Tried powering up with just the CPU/motherboard/fan outside the case on a nonconductive surface in case there was a short somewhere in the case. No luck.

You need to use at least one stick of RAM to attempt a POST. Try different single sticks at a time.

Known Lecher posted:

I basically have no idea what the hell could be causing this. The next possibility seems like the CPU itself, but it seems like even with a bad CPU the motherboard would attempt to POST, and if the CPU was starting to flake out I shouldn't have been able to run for days/weeks at a time between restarts without getting blue screens etc. I'm not going to be able to return a secondhand (or even a new) CPU here so I'm hesitant to sink several hundred more bucks into what seems like an unlikely gamble that that is the cause.

It could be the CPU but multiple cases of RAM/PSU/motherboard failure are much, much more common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread