Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Thunderbolts should be interesting...

Looking forward to that and the MW5 DLC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
just count all those weapons on that thing

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Plasma cannon isn't supposed to be like a PPC, it's a giiiiiigantic flamer. Plasma rifle is the PPC-like with heat transfer. Get your poo poo together PIG!!!!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

General Battuta posted:

Plasma cannon isn't supposed to be like a PPC, it's a giiiiiigantic flamer. Plasma rifle is the PPC-like with heat transfer. Get your poo poo together PIG!!!!

They can't make new things. They can only shuffle the numbers and vfx on old things.

Literally. I'm pretty sure the people who knew enough about the code to actually add whole new weapons and mechanics got sent to a lovely farm upstate.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
They're Canadian. I think they just club you.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Skippy McPants posted:

They can't make new things. They can only shuffle the numbers and vfx on old things.

Literally. I'm pretty sure the people who knew enough about the code to actually add whole new weapons and mechanics got sent to a lovely farm upstate.

Fair enough but they could've at least called it Plasma Rifle!

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I have to guess they are savvy to the fact that literally no one uses flamers and if they are going to put dev time into a new weapon they want to make it one which people will use. Heat generation weapons are very difficult to balance in this game; if they're not worth using, why bother having them? But if they are worth using, they let you prevent an opponent from playing the game, which loving sucks to play against.

Nice to see you around these parts again Battuta.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

There was a very brief period where Mechwarrior Living Legends had the plasma rifle, in that PPCs were bugged to cause heat transfer. It did in fact loving suck to play against.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I love using plasma rifles in MW5 (modded as part of Yet Another Weapon / Weapon Clan) and even more in BTA3062 because you can make mechs cook the pilot while barely damaging the mech itself.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Inferno SRMs were in one of the MW2 expansions and they were utterly broken. You could just shut down enemy mechs forever with them, never played with them in multiplayer but I agree with the assessment that heat generating weapons that are good suck to play against

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

aniviron posted:

I have to guess they are savvy to the fact that literally no one uses flamers and if they are going to put dev time into a new weapon they want to make it one which people will use. Heat generation weapons are very difficult to balance in this game; if they're not worth using, why bother having them? But if they are worth using, they let you prevent an opponent from playing the game, which loving sucks to play against.

Nice to see you around these parts again Battuta.

They just need to add melee and triple strength myomer to make everyone equally angry!

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
One of the devs post on the grimmechs discord sometimes. They tried making the plasma weapon actually do increased heat but it was way too overpowered. It will add a slight amount of heat, more likely it will be a clan snub ppc.
The thunderbolt missile will not be a single missile as it would be overpowered against lights and completely neutered by AMS, it will probably be like an IS ATM.
There are currently no coders at PGI who knows how the MWO code works/can do code changes to MWO. That is why all new weapons are just XML edits of currently existing weapons.

The loadout on the black knight is:
2xSNPPC
5xSL
4xSRM6

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

b0lt posted:

They just need to add melee and triple strength myomer to make everyone equally angry!

Melee in MW5 feels loving terrific, would genuinely love to see it, but there's a 0% chance that MWO's old-rear end version of cryengine could make it work, especially with no support from a code team.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The sound design for melee in MW5 is spectacular

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

TjyvTompa posted:

There are currently no coders at PGI who knows how the MWO code works/can do code changes to MWO. That is why all new weapons are just XML edits of currently existing weapons.

I wonder if they all ended up working on Star Citizen. What other active games actually use Cryengine?

Fired up MWO for the first time in ages. Game seems...in decent shape? Laser vomit Timby seems to still do ok, as well as the triple RAC-2 BSW. I like that the skill tree is less confusing.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

TjyvTompa posted:

lmao, never stop :pgi:, PGI

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

armchairyoda posted:

lmao, never stop :pgi:, PGI

It's fun to mock them, but this isn't unheard of for ancient multiplayer games with limited support. MWO is on CryEngine 3, which is 15 years old now. I wouldn't be shocked if devs with proficiency in that version are hard to come by. Let alone ones who're familiar with the rats nest of legacy quirks MWO is likely infested with.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Sure, ancient multiplayer games may have this issue

but PGI had this issue within a few years hell maybe even a few months

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
Don't get me wrong here Skippy, I still have a helluva soft spot for this game... I love it, even if I never get to play it anymore (:rip: my free time).

But when PGI :pgi:'s... it's why we have a ":pgi:"

I mean, C'MON. You have an active game that pushes out new content every quarter and you don't have a coder on staff? If what he's saying is true, then that is purestrain :piss::pgi::piss: at it's finest.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Seriously they haven't even hired someone to like, read the code. I'll do it, PGI. I'll document the code base.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

PGI make MWO open source

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

just release your MW5 DLC, give up on MWO, move on to MW5 clans, and make MWO open source

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
Also, B33f posted a new vid. All about "a" couple meta-ish Meturions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECjy0YmxZYU

e- for clarity

armchairyoda fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 16, 2024

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpEO40Yu07w

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Duncan Fisher returns, as a pilot this time!

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Plek posted:

Duncan Fisher returns, as a pilot this time!
Duncan Fisher never left
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Szwdf4FugM4

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoYkgrEu4Q0

quote:

MECHWARRIOR 5: MERCENARIES - SOLARIS SHOWDOWN
Fresh off a successful mission on the notorious Mercenary Star, Mason and crew journey to the Hardcore system where they collide with 'Mech pilot Duncan Fisher embarking on a quest to secure a spot in the FedCom Unification Tournament. Forming an unlikely alliance, Mason and Fisher traverse the shadows of Solaris, engage in harrowing 'Mech duels, and race against the clock to save the day - a true Solaris Showdown.

Join Duncan Fisher in a race against time to thwart the overthrow of the Solaris Council, discover the new Loader King 'Mech, select new weapons and equipment tailored for close-quarter engagements, and help save the very future of Solaris.

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Feb 24, 2024

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

well that dlc looks largely disappointing

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I dunno if it's gonna be good or not, but there's currently a thing to get a free TDR-9S, by wishlisting the DLC on any platform it's gonna be available on, then going to this thread and posting that you did so before March 14th. On the 19th, the devs'll give the mechs to anyone who did all that.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Is it really just a 9S? Hero mechs are supposed to have their own hardpoint configuration, not just a copy of an existing one.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Freakazoid_ posted:

Is it really just a 9S? Hero mechs are supposed to have their own hardpoint configuration, not just a copy of an existing one.

That's what I heard, from a goon who says they got it from the Cauldron discord. I guess we'll see if it's any different or not next month.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Already confirmed on the forums to be a 9S. Likely just a miscommunication or a misunderstanding by the person making the post about what being a hero mech entails. as far as c-bill boosted 'mechs go though, TDR-9S is a pretty solid machine.

Meeko fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Feb 28, 2024

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
If I were still playing MWO I'd probably shell MC for a Duncan Fisher warhorn. I still don't regret paying for the Heavy Metal or getting the Clan Jade Falcon Warhorn for extra squawking power. I just wish they had warhorns in MW5.
On the upcoming MW5 DLC and update I'm interested in how they've improved the AI ( formation and pathing ) otherwise there's nothing that's a huge stand out. Only one new mech ( Loader King ), and Solaris mech variants ( I mean sure I'd check out the new variants of the Firestarter and Hunchback as I'm typically accumulating both for my Merc company ), burst fire rifles which will probably feel like a downgrade like the burst fire ACs ( that and I typically don't go rifles over ACs anyhow ), rapid fire ACs which I probably will try out, Binary Laser and the PPC-X ( which I'm not sure what that's all about ). More melee weapons, I typically don't go for melee mechs but I know some folks enjoy them. Bigger and meaner turrets doesn't interest me, nor the changes to the market place and weird Ai variants as I play with mods which covers all that and a repair all button is saving what, 15-30 seconds after an action?

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 1, 2024

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

the maps are still gonna be random garbage sadly, so not sure there is much they can do with the AI

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbDChgRexSA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqAvC04yFUs

https://wolvesgame.com/

Someone is remaking mech assault

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Hell yeah

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I unironically liked most of MechAssault 1.

2 was dumb as hell and played like it, but I always get a smile when I think of the first boss and its soundtrack.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Huh Mechassault was pretty cool.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
Solaris Showdown is out, the career starts in 3040 with a very beefy starting roster ( AS7-D, STK-3F, ON1-K, TDR-5S, RFL-3N, KGC-000, WVR-6R and an ENF-4R ). I was going to give it a bit of time for my mods to catch up but I'm just chewing through the introduction mission now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
I don't think I've ever even hit the conditions to play the campaigns aside from kestrel lancers. do they reward you well ?