Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

carry on then posted:

they have a hard on for private spaceflight, but most of that is spacex so i guess that fits under 2)

Eric Berger is an actual good journalist. Timothy B. Lee is back but not writing as interesting articles as he used to. their headline writers make a shitton of clickbait. Peter B is good at explaining. Their semiconductor articles in the past were complete trash, maybe they’re better now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
conde nasty

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

yeh. science and nature are the big gorillas -- though the papers are over the layperson's head (by intention), that's the Realest Science there is. read the abstracts and don't sweat the rest

scientific american is also pretty good if you're into a more pop-culture science thing (right now the headlining article on their site is why dogs eat poop). MIT technology review is decent but they've got a lot of fart-huffing stuff about disruption and innovation and business poo poo too.

there are no good mass-market "tech" publications. Popular Science is the closest you'd get to that and it's still full of articles about fighter jet laser guns and ads for sex pheromones. Popular Mechanics is worse. everything else is just lifestyle advertising glued together with college-intern-level copywriting

if you want to read about new developments in a specific field of tech, read the relevant journals or look at the conference proceedings. start with the ACM and IEEE digital libraries, for instance

IEEE Spectrum is pretty good, but it's written by EEs :smugdroid:
I enjoy reading it on the plane or where I post

e: https://www.spectrum.ieee.org/

• Locked thread