Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
lol i was watching some OG iron chef on tubi? and i guess they only sold one ad to the local market, because it would just play some "it's taco tuesday!" ad twice in each break, across every episode i watched. same ad for the couple of months that i was slowly getting through them.

the ad quality was somehow worse than 90's iron chef too; looked like a 240p .rm file

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

impossiboobs
Oct 2, 2006

I was watching the Great British Baking Show on CBC Gem this weekend and it kept playing the same ad over and over. One episode was a Pandora ad that played 5 times in a row, then 5 times again on the next 3 ad breaks. Another episode was from the Ontario government about how they're building houses or some poo poo. I saw that ad 20 times during a single episode.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

divin into poob as we speak

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i download all my shows through usenet and there aren’t any ads

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

i download all my shows through usenet and there aren’t any ads

as is the cyberpunk way

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Mola Yam posted:

lol i was watching some OG iron chef on tubi? and i guess they only sold one ad to the local market, because it would just play some "it's taco tuesday!" ad twice in each break, across every episode i watched. same ad for the couple of months that i was slowly getting through them.

the ad quality was somehow worse than 90's iron chef too; looked like a 240p .rm file

i watched farscape on tubi recently and they only sold like 3 ads for the entire series so every ad break you get the creepy makeup commercial, the old lady doing donuts in an electric car at the car store and something advertising women business owners but all the business examples were poo poo like "small bakery" or "shop that sells essential oils"

by season 4 they had added a second version of the creepy makeup commercial

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

more falafel please posted:

as is the cyberpunk way

i used to use usenet but its been a pay service since 20 years now? is it still a thing to have a whole bunch of parity files? i used to hate downloading them cause i was sure i had the right file and it cost me like 10kr to get it

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

unlimited downloads is like $5/mo and it’s all automated. if the dl is bad your program will delete it and grab another

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The channels that have ads don't show anything worth watching.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
you just gotta un-rar the hundreds of 1.44mb file chunks and combine them

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

unlimited downloads is like $5/mo and it’s all automated. if the dl is bad your program will delete it and grab another

check this out: i pay zero dollars and i just download a thing from the internet

its 2010 (at least), get with the program

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

its really wild how easy they made it with like 3 hours of effort.

spechtie
Feb 24, 2024

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

paying for piracy seems dumb, when you can just torrent everythign for free

picture from Amsterdam today:
"dead man found in river Amstel"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

:rip: het dode man

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
dod man hebben een serieus probleem

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Mola Yam posted:

:hmmyes:

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

spechtie posted:

Vrij naar goed huis

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Mola Yam posted:

lol

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Carthag Tuek posted:

i used to use usenet but its been a pay service since 20 years now? is it still a thing to have a whole bunch of parity files? i used to hate downloading them cause i was sure i had the right file and it cost me like 10kr to get it

The Usenet thread in SH/SC is really good, the OP isn't updated though. You don't have to deal with any of the ins and outs of Usenet itself and encodings and parity files, your downloader (I use SABnzbd) does that for you. You don't even have to search for NZBs, you use Sonarr for TV, Radarr for movies, Lidarr for music, etc. Those talk to your indexers and find new releases automatically, send them to your downloader, then sort them all nice like into your library.

spechtie posted:

If that works for you, great, but constantly finding new public trackers as they go down, trying to get access to private trackers, avoiding DMCA poo poo, and worrying about seeding isn't worth it for me. Standards on stuff like naming and tagging with codec info etc also feels much more lax for torrents, old poo poo just stops getting seeded, etc. The major usenet backbones have retention that goes back like 15 years now.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

The Usenet thread in SH/SC is really good, the OP isn't updated though. You don't have to deal with any of the ins and outs of Usenet itself and encodings and parity files, your downloader (I use SABnzbd) does that for you. You don't even have to search for NZBs, you use Sonarr for TV, Radarr for movies, Lidarr for music, etc. Those talk to your indexers and find new releases automatically, send them to your downloader, then sort them all nice like into your library.

counterpoint: clicking torrent links in a web browser

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Im too poor to do any of that; luckily prime video is only 10bux and youtube premium 16 a month :downs:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

The major usenet backbones have retention that goes back like 15 years now.

on the flip side poo poo just gets nuked immediately now

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Can I still post on alt.computers.cyberpunk

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Sonar isn't for music what the hell crap is this

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

on the flip side poo poo just gets nuked immediately now

Not much on good indexers, and the *arrs will automatically keep going until they find something that works, even if it's lower quality than you want, and then update it later. To be fair, the *arrs work with torrents, too, so it's worth checking them out anyway if that's your jam. I just had no end of problems finding torrents that worked well, especially in any kind of automated way, back in like 2008, so I put together a Usenet setup, and I've stuck with it cause it works really well.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

the choices are really vpn/seedbox with torrents, or usenet. both cost money but both are cheaper than a single streaming thing and won’t be enshittified. i’ve been using usenet for like 10 years and it’s great

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
i use a torrent on my home machine, who needs a seedbox

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I simply do not engage with much new media because of depression

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Just know someone who's a fancy pirate and ask them for stuff and they'll give it to you gladly on one of their ten zillion old usb sticks or sd cards. It's like gardening, they love giving the stuff away, it makes them feel useful.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

this is true, and they will include hard candies

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

spechtie posted:

3D dode doodoo

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/RichardKimNYC/status/1773691811757699577

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

This is advertising. FORBIDDEN results from THIS generator? Check for yourself!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Leslie Brown, a spokesperson for the NYC Office of Technology and Innovation, said in an emailed statement that the city has been clear the chatbot is a pilot program and will improve, but “has already provided thousands of people with timely, accurate answers” about business while disclosing risks to users.

“We will continue to focus on upgrading this tool so that we can better support small businesses across the city," Brown said.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

"This AI thing is a huge time saver, just make sure you verify everything it tells you with other sources..."

If I have to verify it with other sources, wouldn't it just be faster to use those other sources in the first place?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

Ham Equity posted:

"This AI thing is a huge time saver, just make sure you verify everything it tells you with other sources..."

If I have to verify it with other sources, wouldn't it just be faster to use those other sources in the first place?

"Keeping my job at AI bullshit LLC requires me to say no"

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

what if they took the top 100 or so questions and made a “frequently asked questions” type thing. could be useful

spechtie
Feb 24, 2024

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Ham Equity posted:

please do not speak this aloud or the economy will die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Jails ban in person visitation in exchange for kickbacks from the telecom companies:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2024/03/jails-banned-family-visits-to-make-more-money-on-video-calls-lawsuits-claim/

quote:

St. Clair County implemented its family visitation ban in September 2017, "prohibiting people from visiting their family members detained inside the county jail," Civil Rights Corps alleged. This "decision was part of a quid pro quo kickback scheme with Securus Technologies, a for-profit company that contracts with jails to charge the families of incarcerated persons exorbitant rates to communicate with one another through 'services' such as low-quality phone and video calls," the lawsuit said.

Under the contract, "Securus pays the County 50 percent of the $12.99 price tag for every 20-minute video call and 78 percent of the $0.21 per minute cost of every phone call," the lawsuit said. The contract has "a guarantee that Securus would pay the County at least $190,000 each year," the St. Clair County lawsuit said.